PDA

View Full Version : Jukar 45 pistol

Brittany
01-04-2015, 10:44 PM
I have aquired a Jukar 45 cal pistol with an 8 in barrel with no front sight. In looking on line I see they made them both ways. I took it out to shoot and when I look at the front sight and the top of the barrel, it shoots about 2 foot high. It would be like you aimed at a mans belly and you would probly hit him in the head. It` really fun to shoot.

So how do you sight a pistol with no front sight.

Charlie

grullaguy
01-04-2015, 11:09 PM
So how do you sight a pistol with no front sight.

Poorly

fouronesix
01-04-2015, 11:36 PM
:) For the pistols think instinctive shooting and short range. Historically, fairly common with the smoothbore flintlocks- pistols and long arms. Even into the caplock smoothbore transition era, many only had a small blade or bead front sight and no rear sight- kind of like a shotgun. On into the rifled caplock era these rudimentary sights held on for quite a while and were slowly replaced by better front and rear sights as the accuracy improved and/or the intended use of the pistols changed.

Now, in the OP you indicate it doesn't have a front sight but then you say you used a front sight to shoot it????

Anyway, in the case of the Jukar, you could try increasing the height of the front sight. If it is a blade it might be staked in?? If so, you could try putting the barrel in a padded vise and grabbing the blade with some vise grips and pulling it out and replacing with a taller blade. Of course at some point the height of the sight will become impractical.

Same thing would apply if you have to add a front sight. Drill a shallow hole about 1/2-3/4" behind the muzzle. Cut and file a piece of brass or copper that has a tab on the bottom of the sight. Either stake or solder that tab into the hole in the barrel. A penny can be fashioned into a pretty good sight blade.

If it has a blade rear sight, the U or V notch could be filed deeper. Modifying the sights on a Jukar will not affect the value one way or another as long as the job is done reasonably well.

If none of those remedies are practical, then it's back to holding lower than the intended point of impact.

Brittany
01-05-2015, 09:58 AM
fouronesix
There is no front sight, I was using the top of the barrel at the muzzle. I think with your info, that I will add a shotgun bead front sight and work the rear sight down as needed. Thanks for thr info.

Charlie

fouronesix
01-05-2015, 10:44 AM
Yes, a "shotgun" bead front will help and would be the simplest to install. Won't gain much height to lower the POI. Just have to use a "belt buckle" hold. I have a couple of ML pistols- one smoothbore and one rifled. They are fun to shoot. Surprisingly consistent and accurate at their intended range.