PDA

View Full Version : I've got a single loop holster. . .

Thomas Traddles
01-04-2015, 10:08 PM
that needs a gun. It seems like it would accept an SAA with 4 3/4" barrel. My 4 5/8" Blackhawk will not fit because the front sight is too tall. Rats! I'm going to have to go shopping.

So, I was in the LGS the other day thinking that a .357 Vaquero with 4 5/8" barrel will fit the holster nicely. I swing by the used gun counter and clapped eyes on a Cimarron Frontier 3.5" polished stainless revolver chambered in .45 Colt. It looked pristine. It's a shiny piece of eye catching hardware. "I'm partial to blued guns," says I. "The barrel length is all wrong," I muttered. "I have no reloading gear for this caliber," counseled my inner Scrooge, "You can't afford it. Stick with .357." "Maybe I can't afford it," I mused, "but I can hold it for a minute and get a closer look. . ."

That gun felt really nice in the hand, but I did not buy it. The store was asking over 5 Benjamins for the gun. I am not very knowledgeable about Cimarron products and was loathe to put my money down on a stinker. I'm always leery of what other people's troubles I'm likely to purchase when I consider buying a used gun. The problem is that the feel of the Cimarron in my hand was striking. The GP100s and Blackhawks that I've held feel clumsy and awkward in comparison to the Frontier. Maybe I'm catching big bore fever. I thought that if I ever bought a 45 caliber revolver, that I would get a Blackhawk Convertible 45/45acp. But now I am not so sure.

Has anyone here had experience with Cimarron's products, and this one in particular? I'd appreciate hearing what your experience is.

tazman
01-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Well, an empty holster is as good a reason as any to buy another gun.

wl620
01-04-2015, 10:47 PM
I would hold out for the Ruger convertible in 45 if i was gonna make the jump to a 45 they are very versatile and can be loaded for everything from mice to moose, and can be had for about the same price or cheaper than the cimmaron.

rintinglen
01-04-2015, 11:55 PM
For a used gun that sounds pretty much dead on. The list for a Stainless is 722 bucks, so realizing that list prices are usually subject to discount, and used knocks another 20 % off, 5 bills sounds like a fair price. You do have an empty holster to fill, and the money you save over the cost of a new gun will easily pay for a set of dies, a LEE .452 sizer and an NOE 453-210 5 cavity mold.
We are your friends, we want you to be happy, and we all can imagine the tragedy of an empty holster.

35 Whelen
01-05-2015, 03:20 AM
This is just my opinion, so please don't take offense...

A stainless steel 1873 Colt reproduction is like a covered wagon with rubber tires...or an 1873 Winchester repro with a composite stock and the 3 1/2" barrel, well, what's the point? The revolver is already too large to conceal, so why hamstring it with a 3 1/2" barrel

I currently own a half dozen Cimarron/Uberti revolvers. They're an extremely good value, but I think $500 is a little steep for a used one although I suppose the SS might command a bit higher price. It's no trick to find a used CCH/blue 4 3/4" Cimarron in 45 Colt that sells for $400 and sometimes not too much over $300 on Gunbroker.

As an example of how these revolvers will shoot, I picked up this Uberti a few months ago at a LGS.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h6/308Scout/Single%20Actions/Uberti-Twogroups-text_zps8e07c1c4.jpg (http://s60.photobucket.com/user/308Scout/media/Single%20Actions/Uberti-Twogroups-text_zps8e07c1c4.jpg.html)

I have TOO many SA's and have been intending to sell her but haven't gotten around to it. All I really did to this was work the trigger over a little and cut an 11° forcing cone and she's a real shooter!

35W

Silver Jack Hammer
01-05-2015, 10:23 AM
Feeling good in the hand is a real sign your going to buy it. Then you can't take your eyes of it is another symptom. Then when you can't stop thinking about, that's serious. When you ask the guys on the forum in for buying it. When your heart pumps and your palms get sweaty, your toast.

I have 2 Junior Cimarrons and 2 73 lever rifles by Cimarron. These are excellent guns. Already owning the holster your saving $100.00 if you buy the gun.

backhoe
01-05-2015, 10:46 AM
"Enabler"!!!

Thomas Traddles
01-05-2015, 01:26 PM
35W -- No offense taken, I love your description of the SS SAA clone. I'm biased toward a blued gun myself but I wouldn't turn down a SS revolver if someone gave it to me. I am not so sure that the gun is too big to carry. I hauled around a 4" GP 100 with little difficulty and the Cimmaron seemed lighter and was definitely shorter than the GP. That is some nice shootin', btw and a nice looking gun.

Silver Jack Hammer -- You are an enabler, as backhoe said, but I understand the symptoms having experienced them many times. But in this case, I don't think I will buy -- at least until I look around a bit more. SA's don't seem to sell quickly around here and I will bet it is around another week or two. I'm still attracted to the convertible Blackhawk in 45, but really need something to fit my holster. So, I'm gonna exercise a little self- control and keep the New Year's resolution for another day at least.

c1skout
01-05-2015, 07:21 PM
How about the Ruger 357 convertible? It might fit your holster.

railfancwb
01-05-2015, 08:13 PM
The Ruger Vaquero or New Vaquero. The original was based on the Super Blackhawk frame, and can handle loads in .44 mag and .45 Colt hotter than store bought ammo. The New Vaquero is based on the slightly smaller Blackhawk frame, and should not be loaded stronger than factory ammo in the two larger calibers. In .357 heavy loads should be ok. The New Vaquero fits holsters made for the Colt single action, while the original larger one may not.

375supermag
01-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Hi...

As regards, Cimarron products...I have exactly one. A Richards-Mason Open top conversion to .38Special.

Nice little sixgun...brass grip frame, blued revolver. Well-fitted and nicely finished.

Never knew I needed one until some sneaky salesman at a LGS handed it me, while I was checking out some other SA revolvers.
Went home with me that day...no regrets. I like it a lot and shoot it regularly.

Just looked at a couple other Cimarrons a couple days ago...1873 SAA in .357Mag and .45Colt.

Torn between getting two of those or the Uberti 1873Cattleman in the same calibers or maybe in .44Special.

35 Whelen
01-05-2015, 09:41 PM
The Ruger Vaquero or New Vaquero. The original was based on the Super Blackhawk frame, and can handle loads in .44 mag and .45 Colt hotter than store bought ammo. The New Vaquero is based on the slightly smaller Blackhawk frame, and should not be loaded stronger than factory ammo in the two larger calibers. In .357 heavy loads should be ok. The New Vaquero fits holsters made for the Colt single action, while the original larger one may not.

I have both a 4 5/8" Ruger NM Vaquero (which can handle loads heavier than factory standard) and the 4 5/8" Uberti pictured above. To me the Uberti is a bit more refined while the Vaquero is more of a working revolver. The Uberti seems a tad lighter and seems to balance a bit better. The Ruger on the other hand, a bit less refined but tough as nails.
One must remember that either in .357 is going to be somewhat heavier that the same in 45 Colt, if that matters.

35W

scattershot
01-05-2015, 11:18 PM
I'm probably not the guy to ask, since I think all guns cost about twice what they should, but as far as quality goes, Cimarron is about as good as it gets for repro, IMO. As for the price, check around and see what other like handguns a re selling for, and act accordingly.

You know you want it, your eyes are getting heavyyy.......

Thomas Traddles
01-06-2015, 08:23 AM
How about the Ruger 357 convertible? It might fit your holster.

c1skout, I have thought about the .357/9mm convertible, but not seriously. 38s and .357s are the handgun calibers that I have chosen to limit myself to, although lately I have been thinking about a .45 colt. I have been considering the .357 Vaquero to fill the empty holster, however. I have reloading components for these calibers, and I am hesitant to incur further expense by expanding my selection of calibers. My shooting at the moment is limited to the range and I CC. The 38 and .357 satisfy my needs at present, or so I keep trying to tell myself.:-P

Thomas Traddles
01-06-2015, 05:23 PM
I filled the empty holster today -- ordered a 4 5/8 Blued Vaquero in .357 from the LGS. Swung by the used gun counter to take a look at the Cimarron, and by darn it was gone! So much for my confidence in it sticking around awhile.