PDA

View Full Version : why no pistol powder

LUCKYDAWG13
01-04-2015, 01:19 PM
why is there still NO POWDER [smilie=b:

funnyjim014
01-04-2015, 01:40 PM
We have powder here in buffalo area.... just not what every one wants. Have been seeing trailboss, auto comp, CFE pistol.

sig2009
01-04-2015, 01:43 PM
Your government under Barry Obummer is only allowing 1 shipping container of powder to enter the US each month. That is the powder that is manufactured overseas. Also manufacturers are dragging their feet with production. It goes from the manufacturer to the distributors and then to the stores. If they are not shipping to the distributors then there is none in the stores. That is the way powder is disbursed and that is why there is none available.

Powder Burn
01-04-2015, 01:46 PM
Marked the one year anniversary of trying to get 2400. I've had 8#'s on back order for the last 6 months. May have to switch to an alternative.

Southpaw 72
01-04-2015, 02:08 PM
Don't forget the guys who shoot trap and skeet eat up a lot of powder.

aspangler
01-04-2015, 02:10 PM
LGS here has Trailboss, HS6, 231 and several rifle powders. Didn't buy any because I have enough to last me quite a while.

ruizhernandeztrust
01-04-2015, 03:10 PM
In my opinion, controlling the reloading components is the government way to enforce a "backdoor gun control". The government unsuccessfully tried to take us our guns so they opted to restrict (by any means) the reloading components. As simple as that.

therealhitman
01-04-2015, 09:30 PM
Agreed. Next step is the bogus lead projectile ban spreading like a disease from Californistan to Bloombergville.

goblism
01-04-2015, 09:35 PM
I stocked up on hp 38 and am thankful for that. Hoping to stock up on more powder once this craze goes down some more

LUCKYDAWG13
01-04-2015, 09:42 PM
all i have seen was some H110 and 296 about 4 weeks ago I'm not out of powder but last night i opened up a bottle
of Bullseye and just thought i sure would feel better if there was a #8 jug instead of a #1

ballistim
01-04-2015, 09:46 PM
In the past few years I have been fortunate enough to have secured 8lbs. of Unique, Bullseye, Promo, & 4 lbs. of Green Dot. Green Dot was the first powder I was able to get my hands on after the shelves cleared out of everything so I was able to get a lot of use out of it for handgun & rife which was very fortunate as I had never used it before and really appreciated how well it worked out for me. Surplus powder in 8lb. jugs were also added over that time frame & I found out how well a 45-70 duplex load using Imr4198 & WC 872 worked with a Lee 405 grain cast. Nice to have some positive things come out of a negative situation for sure.

LUCKYDAWG13
01-04-2015, 09:53 PM
Nice to have some positive things come out of a negative situation for sure.

ya i used up all the powder in the cardboard cans that i had left over

ballistim
01-04-2015, 10:09 PM
Nice to have some positive things come out of a negative situation for sure.

ya i used up all the powder in the cardboard cans that i had left over

I was caught off guard and had let my supplies of powder & primers get WAY too low at the worst possible time so I had to really scramble to get up to speed. I remember all the old Hodgden cardboard cans in my Dad's reloading area when I was a kid, good memories! Still have one cardboard container with 2400 but it's near empty.

LUCKYDAWG13
01-04-2015, 10:44 PM
looks like i have a full can of 231 Kewl price tag on it $13.99

dragon813gt
01-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Plenty of powder at a gun show this weekend. He was limiting quantity. There were only a few powders he didn't have. Plenty of Bullseye, Unique and 2400 to go around. Prices weren't bad for the area. The supply has been improving every day around here. Not normalized but doesn't take long to find what you want.

wv109323
01-04-2015, 11:04 PM
I think the number one reason is panic buyers(buying in larger quantities than usual).
There are several other factors that influence the situation. Semi-automatics with high capacity magazines are the norm now. How many times have you seen someone load up a 16 round mag and let loose at a pop can?
Factory ammo prices has driven more people into reloading, just to be able to afford to shoot.
There are many first time gun owners that need ammo ( BHO is the world's best gun salesman) so powder is needed to load factory ammo.
There are a lot more disciplines of pistol shooting than they use to be. The trend is toward the action games where a lot of ammo is consumed. Many of these matches have re-entries where the course can be shot multiple times.
It also seems strange that primer quantities have increased so that they are somewhat available but powder is still quite rare.

dragon813gt
01-04-2015, 11:18 PM
It also seems strange that primer quantities have increased so that they are somewhat available but powder is still quite rare.

Why? They are a completely different product. And judging based on how much chemical is used in primers they can produce them faster then powder. Pounds of powder compared to a grains of priming compound in a brick and it's easy to understand why they are readily available.

tomme boy
01-04-2015, 11:49 PM
They could get around the shipping container rule by sending it all to Canada and then bring it in by truck or train. There are ways around just about everything.

sig2009
01-05-2015, 10:59 AM
In my opinion, controlling the reloading components is the government way to enforce a "backdoor gun control". The government unsuccessfully tried to take us our guns so they opted to restrict (by any means) the reloading components. As simple as that.

You would be 100% correct!

dragon813gt
01-05-2015, 11:20 AM
Please explain how the government is restricting reloading components? I've yet to hear actual proof. It's a conspiracy theory, that's it. It's a simple supply and demand issue. Demand has outstripped supply. When supply catches up or demand goes down things will normalize. It's that simple.

It's not like you can just start up a powder plant. There might be some argument of regulation hurting the market. But even then if there was enough profit someone would start up a new powder plant. Reloaders are a niche market and are small potatoes.

snowwolfe
01-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Powder "shortages" are weird to say the least. There is a gun shop 15 miles away from my property in Tennessee and they have all the pistol powders you could want. Bullseye, Unique, Power Pistol, WW296, H110, etc. I have been there three different times since April of last year and each time I was in the store the shelves were STOCKED.
Yet I have not seen any of these powders on the shelf at any store in Colorado in 18 months. When I asked the guys at OJ how they got so much powder they simply said they ordered it.

Government conspiracy? That's simply ridiculous. Following that are the hard headed cheap skates who do find powder in the LGS then whine and cry about the price being high and then don't buy it. No one to blame but yourself if your bench is empty.

My personal opinion is if a local store doesn't have it the owner isn't trying hard enough to get it.

Rick Hodges
01-05-2015, 12:22 PM
I purchased 2400 and HP-38 at Jay's in Gaylord in November. Their shelves were full of powder and in ever better selections. Most are running $20-25/ lb. The Aussies must have got their powder plant up and going again and the powder is in the supply chain if it it getting to northern Michigan.

tomme boy
01-05-2015, 01:21 PM
There is a restriction on the ports to only allow one container ship at a time in a port. They could send them to other ports real easy.

But who knows what the real reason is. The companies will flat out lie to you about what is really going on and then blame the Gov't. It may be the Gov't, but it may be the manufacturers that just want more $$$$ by limiting supply. Copper is down lead is down fuel is down. But our prices keep going up. I think I am going to go buy a 55 gal drum of Vaseline for whats to come in the next few years.

ruizhernandeztrust
01-05-2015, 02:54 PM
Well,
If this not explain what I'm trying to say, then I don't know what to do to wake you up. Taken from Midwayusa, I was just trying to purchase shotgun wads. (it's a plastic product for God sakes!!!)

Restricted Product We're sorry, but we can't include this product on your order due to the the following:

Your city or state law prohibits us from shipping any part of a cartridge to your shipping address.

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/120x90/primary/249/843302.jpg Claybuster Shotshell Wads 12 Gauge CB1118-12 (Replaces WAA12) 1-1/8 oz Case of 5000 (10 Bags of 500)

If this ISN'T a form of backdoor gun control from the government then please correct me. My question is, which law is preventing me to purchase reloading components?

For the rest of guys interested just google "backdoor gun control"

starmac
01-05-2015, 03:07 PM
Which state are you in?

freebullet
01-05-2015, 03:19 PM
Hence the no powder. More shooters and reloaders than ever before. They were all tired of not finding ammo and components. Now everyone buys whatever they can find. I don't fret over a single powder I just snatch it all up whenever I find prepanic prices. One lgs has received 2 large shipments of hodgdon powder in the last couple months. Alliant is not to be found easily, and I don't blame the government.

With the cost and demand for components doubling every 10 years it would be smart to stock up for life whenever you can.

ballistim
01-05-2015, 03:23 PM
I might be part of the problem, but I buy 8lbs. or more when I can just to avoid lot-to-lot variations, nice to not have to re-work up a load after you have it dialed in.

dragon813gt
01-05-2015, 07:03 PM
Which state are you in?

Exactly, blame your state/local officials for that one. Every state's laws are different, like the should be. If you live in MD you can't legally store an 8# jug of powder in your home. How are you supposed to stock up when you can't store quantity in your residence? The whole one container thing at the port is for safety reasons. Same thing w/ the Alaska barge restrictions. Anyone that has worked w/ dangerous chemicals understands why restrictions are in place. Would you want to work at the port when a ship entirely full of powder docked? Talk about a powder keg, pun intended.

Our federal government definitely is not on the side of gun owners. But I'd they wanted to restrict components it would be done already. All it takes is the stroke of the pen on an executive order and it's done. I feel sorry for the guys just starting out. I have no sympathy if you've been reloading for years and got caught short. Assuming you had the means to prepare. If you didn't then you're in the same situation as new reloaders.

truckerdave397
01-05-2015, 07:04 PM
To address the OP problem you might try to find some shot gun powder that would fit your need in hand gun ammo. WST and WSF comes to mind as a couple of examples.

Taylor
01-05-2015, 07:21 PM
LGS here has Trailboss, HS6, 231 and several rifle powders. Didn't buy any because I have enough to last me quite a while.

where is this? I could really use some HS6.

LUCKYDAWG13
01-05-2015, 07:58 PM
I went to LGS today they had some 296 in and #4 jug of 3031

Rock
01-05-2015, 07:59 PM
Instead of blaming the mysterious workings of Government, let's look at a cold hard fact: The Australian plant that produces Shotgun and Pistol Powder for Hodgdon burned down.

Let that soak in for a minute.

Now add that the powder produced by this factory is exclusively marketed to the reloading community.

Yes, that's right, a major supplier of US Pistol and Shotgun Powder went to zero production (in 2013). With normal demand for this product shifting over to the remaining powder suppliers we are left with a substantial supply-demand imbalance.

Back in October Chris Hodgdon did an online interview and reported that they expect to be shipping pistol and shotgun powder in first quarter 2015.

There you have an explanation for the shortage, and it is not tied to anything done by the U.S. Federal Government.

Jtarm
01-05-2015, 08:03 PM
For the rest of guys interested just google "backdoor gun control"

Right, you can trust anything you find with Google!

No wonder the BS conspiracy theories get spread.

ruizhernandeztrust
01-05-2015, 08:15 PM
I deserve to get flamed just to express MY OPINION? Okay I get it.

Petrol & Powder
01-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Gee, could it be that consumers are paying high prices and buying every last grain of powder they can get their hands on?

From what I've seen, the government (particularly the federal type), is far too incompetent to successfully execute a small operation; never mind a large complex conspiracy. The inherent inefficiency combined with notorious bureaucracy makes any type of "grand scheme" laughable.

I guess if one didn't understand basic science and had no desire to learn, that person might say something like, "You know the government could stop the sun from rising in the east but they don't want to"! And if you were really into conspiracy theories you might go on to say something like, "The government is collaborating with the evil corporations to keep the sun rising in the east, you know they could make it rise in the west if they wanted to".

Could it be that powder manufactures are selling every gram of powder they can make now and they can sell it at high profits?
Maybe they are fearful of investing in machinery to expand their output knowing that when this bubble bursts, there will be a glut that will drive the price of powder down, making it difficult to recoup their capital investments?

Jtarm
01-05-2015, 08:24 PM
Instead of blaming the mysterious workings of Government, let's look at a cold hard fact: The Australian plant that produces Shotgun and Pistol Powder for Hodgdon burned down.

Now add that the powder produced by this factory is exclusively marketed to the reloading community.

Yes, that's right, a major supplier of US Pistol and Shotgun Powder went to zero production (in 2013). With normal demand for this product shifting over to the remaining powder suppliers we are left with a substantial supply-demand imbalance.

Back in October Chris Hodgdon did an online interview and reported that they expect to be shipping pistol and shotgun powder in first quarter 2015.

There you have an explanation for the shortage, and it is not tied to anything done by the U.S. Federal Government.

Ah, but how do you explain the mysterious black helicopter sighted 1,000 miles from the plant just six months before the the fire? Clearly am act of sabotage!

Hodgdon has been infiltrated by the Men in Black and Chris brainwashed. The new powders will become inert after six months, leaving us defenseless so the Trilateral Commission aided by the Skull & Crossbones can strike and make us all slaves to the New World Order.

Think I'll google my theory tomorrow & see how many times it's been repeated.

dragon813gt
01-05-2015, 08:54 PM
I deserve to get flamed just to express MY OPINION?. Okay I get it.

You share your opinion w/ others and we've heard the same arguments since this all began. It's grown tiresome over the years. Simple supply and demand economics is what's at work. No point in looking any deeper.

ruizhernandeztrust
01-05-2015, 09:00 PM
You share your opinion w/ others and we've heard the same arguments since this all began. It's grown tiresome over the years. Simple supply and demand economics is what's at work. No point in looking any deeper.

No hard feelings man, it's okay. Maybe I need to learn to shut my mouth and just keep lurking the forum.

Bonz
01-05-2015, 09:01 PM
BassPro just had Bullseye, Unique, 2400, etc a week or two ago. Several members posted that. Took a few days for BassPro to sell out.

John Allen
01-05-2015, 09:36 PM
What I would not give for some 2400 right now. I have been looking for at least a year.

bcr
01-05-2015, 09:51 PM
On gunbroker the powders I need, like 2400, Bullseye and 231 are still getting $40/pound plus $55 per transaction for shipping. I'm watching this closely to see when things will settle down nationally, but I was in 2 LGSs over the holidays and didn't see anything I could use.

Treetop
01-05-2015, 10:14 PM
I'm amazed at how regional the supply problem seems to be. I read here, on castboolits, and other sites about how local gun shops in various states have full shelves of shotgun/pistol powder, but my lgs hasn't had any at all, until last month. I found one pound of Bullseye, I got there late in the morning that day, the clerk said 6 one pound containers came in over night. I usually try to open the doors twice week, when they get re-supplied. I simply haven't seen any Unique, 2400, or HS-6 in literally 2+ years.

Thank heavens for Alliant STEEL and this forum (see BrotherDarrell's post for details). I have found that the locally abundant STEEL shoots well enough in my various .30 calibers, .357 Mag, .44 Mag. and .45 Colt to at least keep me shooting my cast boolits in those calibers. I'm down to a couple of teaspoons full of HS-6 now, so no more 9mm loading for me until I can find some either locally or on powderbot.

BTW, I'm not a conspiracy theorist, I think the Sandy Hook tragedy and Obama's reaction to it scared enough people to cause a huge glut in both new shooters and new reloaders. I welcome both of these groups, even though they have caused us some temporary shortages! Tt.

sig2009
01-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Please explain how the government is restricting reloading components? I've yet to hear actual proof. It's a conspiracy theory, that's it. It's a simple supply and demand issue. Demand has outstripped supply. When supply catches up or demand goes down things will normalize. It's that simple.

It's not like you can just start up a powder plant. There might be some argument of regulation hurting the market. But even then if there was enough profit someone would start up a new powder plant. Reloaders are a niche market and are small potatoes.

No. It's not quite that simple. If the major retailers like Powder Valley, Weidners, Graf's, Natchez are not getting any shipments from the distributers you cannot hoard something that is not available from manufacturers!!!!!!!!

sig2009
01-06-2015, 10:51 AM
where is this? I could really use some HS6.

Saw 8 lb and 1 lb containers of HS-6 at Shooters Outpost in Hooksett, NH over Christmas.

Ickisrulz
01-06-2015, 11:42 AM
No. It's not quite that simple. If the major retailers like Powder Valley, Weidners, Graf's, Natchez are not getting any shipments from the distributers you cannot hoard something that is not available from manufacturers!!!!!!!!

I don't know about all the retailers you listed, but I know Grafs takes backorders and gets stuff out when it comes in. I had Unique on order for about a year and when my turn in line came up, it shipped and I got my 16 pounds. I split the order with another person since 8 pounds of Unique will last me years. One of the major problems now is that people are buying much more than they have in the past. The reasons for this are they don't want to run short during the next crisis and they are ordering online and have to get large quantities to offset the shipping/hazmat fees. Eventually people will have enough supplies in storage and we'll return to normal. We might even see prices fall.

sig2009
01-06-2015, 12:54 PM
I don't know about all the retailers you listed, but I know Grafs takes backorders and gets stuff out when it comes in. I had Unique on order for about a year and when my turn in line came up, it shipped and I got my 16 pounds. I split the order with another person since 8 pounds of Unique will last me years. One of the major problems now is that people are buying much more than they have in the past. The reasons for this are they don't want to run short during the next crisis and they are ordering online and have to get large quantities to offset the shipping/hazmat fees. Eventually people will have enough supplies in storage and we'll return to normal. We might even see prices fall.

The retailers I mentioned are probably the largest sellers to the retail market.

Ickisrulz
01-06-2015, 01:13 PM
The retailers I mentioned are probably the largest sellers to the retail market.

I know who they are, I don't know if they take back orders. My point is that powder comes in and goes out as fast as it gets there. Grafs is filling backorders in the order they are placed. It's not that they are not getting any, it's just being sold so fast it never stays in stock.

Tackleberry41
01-06-2015, 05:20 PM
On gunbroker the powders I need, like 2400, Bullseye and 231 are still getting $40/pound plus $55 per transaction for shipping. I'm watching this closely to see when things will settle down nationally, but I was in 2 LGSs over the holidays and didn't see anything I could use.

Gunbroker just seems to be gouger central from what I have seen. I have looked thru here and there, people asking stupid prices for things, but nobody actually bidding on it.

Last couple gunshows there was a pretty good amount of powder on tables, maybe not the selection we all want.

A friend is building himself a 300 blackout AR, well powders used in that particular caliber are in really short supply, because seems like alot of other people are jumping in, and being a semi auto you can go thru quite a bit of powder vs if it was a bolt action weapon. So probably not the greatest time for him to be building one. He also likes varget, another very popular powder that sells out quick. I simply try an alternative powder, never know, maybe just as good, better, or worse. Only way to know is buy a lbs and give it a try.

And powder seems like 22lr, that some see it on a shelf, need it or not they buy it.

Bonz
01-06-2015, 05:32 PM
I work from home and see a lot of the powder hit the resellers like PowderValley, 3rd Generation, Grafs, etc. People are buying a much as absolutely possible can still. 3rd Generation has implemented a new stricter limit on powder sales to give more people a chance but it is still gone in minutes. One of my LGS has just implemented stricter limits now also, one pound per person, per day. Now they have a little of everything in stock and it lasts for a while. Another LGS is complaining that they are being charged a lot more for powder and are forced to pass that cost increase to us. Just like the primers, this isn't going to get any better until availability is more than demand, period...

ballistim
01-06-2015, 07:20 PM
I'm fortunate to have a very good LGS that operates fairly and has not gouged it's customers. Limits on powder purchased were imposed as soon as the crisis hit. Upon asking about any larger quantities available in the future I was informed that I could place orders for 8lb. quantities of any Alliant powders with a small deposit & no promise on a time frame. I was able to order Unique & Bullseye in 8lbs., and waited and have received both. I also was able to buy 8lbs. each of Green Dot & Promo that were available by visiting at opening each morning. I was also able to purchase 1lb. containers of each of the above & a few more in this way. Surplus powder was added to what I had on hand so I'm now again in good shape with both primers & powder, and have taken casting more serious than ever because of the added benefit of never being with out projectiles needed. I haven't shot a J-word in approx. 2 years & am doing just fine.

Blackwater
01-06-2015, 09:25 PM
I hear a lot of opinions here, and "logic" to back them up, but NO SUBSTANTIATION at all. Anyone got a link to a credible source to back any of what you're saying up? Without that, it's all just guessing and pizzing and moaning.

9w1911
01-06-2015, 09:31 PM
This is what I know:

You will get powder again when everyone's basement is full.

If you check Gunbot.net/reloading/powder you will find it. Be ready to buy. Check all day everyday.

GhostHawk
01-06-2015, 09:44 PM
Watch the bigger retailers, daily.

Twice in the last 3 months I was able to get pistol powder from Bass Pro Shops.
Both times it was posted here.

For me, I decided to go with Red Dot as I could use it for everything I shoot.
It may not always be the best solution, but it will go bang when I need it too. And I can reload everything from 9mm to .44 mag with it.

I recently loaded some nice .223 loads with 55 gr hornady FMJ BT over 7.5gr of red dot. They cost a bit more than .22lr by the time I was done, but I have enough red dot and primers to reload them several times at that rate.

Due dillegence is the key, and when you buy, buy a bunch, and get all your powder/primer needs for the next couple years taken care of with a single order. That way the 28$ hazmat fee doesn't bite so hard.

bstone5
01-06-2015, 09:53 PM
10 Ring here in Houston is getting delivery of powder. New Year's Eve they had HS6, W231, Tight Group and HP-38. Lots of powder for rifle reloading, lots of powder for 223.

ballistim
01-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Watch the bigger retailers, daily.

Twice in the last 3 months I was able to get pistol powder from Bass Pro Shops.
Both times it was posted here.

For me, I decided to go with Red Dot as I could use it for everything I shoot.
It may not always be the best solution, but it will go bang when I need it too. And I can reload everything from 9mm to .44 mag with it.

I recently loaded some nice .223 loads with 55 gr hornady FMJ BT over 7.5gr of red dot. They cost a bit more than .22lr by the time I was done, but I have enough red dot and primers to reload them several times at that rate.

Due dillegence is the key, and when you buy, buy a bunch, and get all your powder/primer needs for the next couple years taken care of with a single order. That way the 28$ hazmat fee doesn't bite so hard.

I've shot less than a hundred .22LR since this all went down, more fun reloading & plinking cheap centerfire cast, saving rim fire for when/if things ever settle down again & I think they will.

Ickisrulz
01-06-2015, 10:29 PM
I hear a lot of opinions here, and "logic" to back them up, but NO SUBSTANTIATION at all. Anyone got a link to a credible source to back any of what you're saying up? Without that, it's all just guessing and pizzing and moaning.

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Web%20Page%20Buying%20Surge.pdf

http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/faq.aspx

Rock
01-06-2015, 10:40 PM
Here is the interview with Chris Hodgdon, you can hear the reality from the man himself. (Note: Hodgedon only manufactures Pyrodex and possibly Black. For all of their other products Hodgdon is the marketer not the manufacturer)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jphEvE3IXkw
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jphEvE3IXkw)

bobthenailer
01-07-2015, 08:48 AM
I have been looking for 4 lb kegs of Power Pistol for over a year! im intrested in buying a case .
its even hard to find one 1 lb can .

sig2009
01-07-2015, 11:24 AM
I've shot less than a hundred .22LR since this all went down, more fun reloading & plinking cheap centerfire cast, saving rim fire for when/if things ever settle down again & I think they will.

Since before Christmas I have accumulated over 5,000 rounds of .22lr from various sales at Cabelas, Dicks, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse so it is readily available taking advantage of the sales. So it is available.

ballistim
01-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Since before Christmas I have accumulated over 5,000 rounds of .22lr from various sales at Cabelas, Dicks, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse so it is readily available taking advantage of the sales. So it is available.

I know, and I have been fortunate to buy a case from a vender at Camp Perry last year as well as a case from Cabelas, grabbed the last one off the shelf during a sale. I guess I'd still rather shoot reloads than .22 at the exorbitant rates being charged & will save what I have on hand for when I need it. I've also picked up the odd box or two when on sale, and had the remainder of a case from CMP before the madness started. Honestly, I'm just enjoying shooting cast reloads enough to be satisfied with that for now.

fatelk
01-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Due dillegence is the key, and when you buy, buy a bunch, and get all your powder/primer needs for the next couple years taken care of with a single order.

Not saying this isn't good advice if you can do it, but obviously people making big purchases whenever they find some is a big part of the problem. At the same time, many of us don't have the money to shell out $500 to buy a bunch, or the time to hunt around to find it. I still look forward to the day when the average guy can go to the store and pick up a pound or two of whatever he wants. That may still be a while.

Added: don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't buy whatever you can afford. I would certainly buy a case of 8lb kegs if I could find, afford, and needed it. I'm just saying that everyone doing that keeps it off the shelves that much longer.

Bonz
01-07-2015, 03:39 PM
in case you haven't noticed, Cabela's has Hodgdon and Winchester pistol powder. Snooze you lose...

pretzelxx
01-07-2015, 03:57 PM
Check gunbot frequently, I saw a bit available yesterday but I have all I want for the time being.

Ickisrulz
01-07-2015, 05:59 PM
Not saying this isn't good advice if you can do it, but obviously people making big purchases whenever they find some is a big part of the problem. At the same time, many of us don't have the money to shell out $500 to buy a bunch, or the time to hunt around to find it. I still look forward to the day when the average guy can go to the store and pick up a pound or two of whatever he wants. That may still be a while.

Added: don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you shouldn't buy whatever you can afford. I would certainly buy a case of 8lb kegs if I could find, afford, and needed it. I'm just saying that everyone doing that keeps it off the shelves that much longer.

If you can place a larger order and find someone to split it with you, you can get in on the action. I don't see any way around buying the stuff in larger orders online these days. It's normally cheaper than in town and saves the gas.

9w1911
01-07-2015, 07:27 PM
ton of pistol powder sold online today, w231 hs6 hp38 a lot of Vv powders as well and some is still available online which gives me a good feeling

waterdog
01-09-2015, 05:37 PM

Can you provide a link to the news about the fire.

Rock
01-11-2015, 02:11 AM
Can you provide a link to the news about the fire.

Even better. I posted an interview with Chris Hodgdon acknowledging the fire and their need to build new equipment: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?264651-why-no-pistol-powder&p=3081024&viewfull=1#post3081024

GOPHER SLAYER
01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
If the government wants to restrict the amount of ammo available to the public all they have to do is place ammunition orders far in excess of their needs, which they did last year. Since their orders take priority it goes to the head of the line. This order will require much of the available components to produce. It was also last year that the Government paid a salvage firm millions of dollars to destroy millions of rounds of so called outdated ammunition. I would love to examine some of that ammo. While we are discussing the government I would like to tell of something I saw on TV about unusual jobs. The film crew visited the large arsenal in Anniston, Alabama. They have a machine there they call Captain Crunch which will chew up just about any metal object they throw into it. If you recall President Carter [alias cousin goober] kept the machine working around the clock destroying beautiful .22 match rifles. While they were filming the process the women feeding the machine was explaining that they were destroying weapons that were no longer serviceable. They showed a carefully packaged box of AE receivers which looked to me like they had come straight from the mfg. There is nothing I would consider below the bunch that is currently running this country.

trapper9260
01-12-2015, 09:28 AM
There is a gunsmith that I am friends with and dose work for me .When he get a list form his supplier I ask him for it and then see if there is anything on it that I need to stock up on it and then ask how much it gose and then put n my order and then .that is it. I also check other places but will not pay high price for it when most of it is to build up my stock like i did before this all start.One place I got some powder and all form had a sign up about the plant that make clay powders have burnt that was early last year and took what I could at the time. So then later last year there was another place said about the fire at the same place. but also there was another in Europe also.So all I can say for how things are is for what is stated about alot of new gun owners and also new reloaders also so it change how things was and when we have the next one happend it will be worst then this one.I soot mainly cast and very little jacket and just ride it out and get what is there when it is within the sane price.

C. Latch
01-12-2015, 10:00 AM
Saw Longshot on the shelf at a store an hour away over the weekend. Didn't buy it because I honestly don't need it, but it was pistol powder, on the shelf.

youngmman
01-12-2015, 11:42 AM
If the government wants to restrict the amount of ammo available to the public all they have to do is place ammunition orders far in excess of their needs, which they did last year. Since their orders take priority it goes to the head of the line. This order will require much of the available components to produce. It was also last year that the Government paid a salvage firm millions of dollars to destroy millions of rounds of so called outdated ammunition. I would love to examine some of that ammo. While we are discussing the government I would like to tell of something I saw on TV about unusual jobs. The film crew visited the large arsenal in Anniston, Alabama. They have a machine there they call Captain Crunch which will chew up just about any metal object they throw into it. If you recall President Carter [alias cousin goober] kept the machine working around the clock destroying beautiful .22 match rifles. While they were filming the process the women feeding the machine was explaining that they were destroying weapons that were no longer serviceable. They showed a carefully packaged box of AE receivers which looked to me like they had come straight from the mfg. There is nothing I would consider below the bunch that is currently running this country.

Here in Kalifornia, I think the State Gov. is unknowingly promoting reloading. There was a proposal to require a permit for purchasing ammo. The permit would cost $50 annually and a finger print would be required when purchasing the ammo. I'm not sure it passed or passed and goes into effect in the future.

waterdog
01-12-2015, 12:30 PM
Even better. I posted an interview with Chris Hodgdon acknowledging the fire and their need to build new equipment: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?264651-why-no-pistol-powder&p=3081024&viewfull=1#post3081024

Only the portion of the plant that produced Clays and Universal was burned and was expected to be up and running again by the beginning of 2015.

Thanks

RogerDat
01-12-2015, 02:28 PM
Watched gunbot and eventually managed to snag some pistol (tightgroup) and a few different rifle powders. Order for a couple of lbs. each of Unique and 2400 at Lohmans has been backordered for months. So I worked up a list of suitable replacements for my needs and when something on my list showed up bought that instead.

I too am somewhat puzzled by the regional nature of supply. Possibly the shops that traditionally ordered more reloading supplies are getting a percent of the available supply from distributors that represents their historical percentage. Also possible that some more rural areas have less people willing to drive further in search of powder drawing down the local supply.

I know I have done some shopping in LGS's and gun shows that are further away than I would normally travel. Near a large city population there would probably be more folks willing to follow up on a tip that involved driving 100 miles each way. Plus a decent chance they know someone out in a rural location that has a local supply that will do them a favor and pick up some powder or supplies for them. Bought some 22 LR for the brother in law so he could pass them on to a grandkid on his side of the family. None around him but some here at the LGS.

fredj338
01-12-2015, 04:02 PM
Our federal government definitely is not on the side of gun owners. But I'd they wanted to restrict components it would be done already. All it takes is the stroke of the pen on an executive order and it's done. I feel sorry for the guys just starting out. I have no sympathy if you've been reloading for years and got caught short. Assuming you had the means to prepare. If you didn't then you're in the same situation as new reloaders.
Plus I just don't think they are that smart & reloading is still a fraction of the ammo consumer. A lot of the regs are blanket laws that restrict movement of HM. Powder is sold as a HM. Throw in all the new reloaders & older reloaders that got caught napping in 2012, things will be short for awhile.

fredj338
01-12-2015, 04:04 PM
Here in Kalifornia, I think the State Gov. is unknowingly promoting reloading. There was a proposal to require a permit for purchasing ammo. The permit would cost $50 annually and a finger print would be required when purchasing the ammo. I'm not sure it passed or passed and goes into effect in the future.
Don't kid yourself, that law will affect the reloader as well when no supplier will be allowed to ship powder or primers into the state. Buy it when you find it, buy a lot, 2-3yrs min RESERVE. It can all go to krap with the sweep of a pen.
Powder is popping up here & there. Grafs just had WST in all sizes. Didn't last long but it was there. I bought Red Dot last month from Widener's, so it's around, but be ready to buy & buy a years worth min, it won't last long & either you buy it or someone else does.