PDA

View Full Version : Feeling sick

tomme boy
01-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Seems everyone in this town is sick. Coughing gagging sniffling sneezing. Been trying to avoid everyone that even sounds sick. But I somehow am starting to get something. Sinus plugged, dry painful cough. Been eating two oranges a day for the last month. I don't remember the last time I was sick. Anyone have any home remedies? Not sure what this is. I had a flu shot 2.5 minths ago but from what I see, it is about worthless again this year.

histed
01-04-2015, 11:30 AM
'Swhat they're saying around here. The shot isn't preventing the flu most of the time. Also saying not to wait, but get to the doc asap. FWIW, I like a teaspoon of buckwheat honey for the cough. Dad used to claim that hot peppers cleared the sinus. YMMV

Ickisrulz
01-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Lots of vitamin C and Spicy Hot V8. My whole family is sick, but I am not.

scrappletaco
01-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Take vit c and a zinc tablet. Zinc increases the uptake of vit c. And I second v8 spicy to help

rush1886
01-04-2015, 12:11 PM
One jigger good bourbon, one heaping tablespoon honey, juice of one lemon, top off glass with near boiling water. Chug as soon as cool enough.

One of these will give you a nice warm glow and at the least, polish your outlook a bit. 3 or 4 and you won't give a hoot about being sick!

tomme boy
01-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Just took a tablespoon of local honey and some cinnamon on top. Maybe go down and put a few Zn ww's under the torch!:bigsmyl2:

labradigger1
01-04-2015, 12:41 PM
Perhaps go to the er to see what is is for sure, influenza A (bird flu) is running rampant here. I hope you get to feeling better.
This time of the year I avoid people like the plague and will not shake hands, I tell them flu season.
Lab

swheeler
01-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Tomme take a tablespoon of honey followed by a shot of Jack Black, it works.

jmort
01-04-2015, 01:36 PM
Sambucol. Need to take ASAP. Not a home remedy, but amazing stuff. No prescription.

MrWolf
01-04-2015, 01:48 PM
My wife got me taking echinacea, it is a herb. As soon as you start feeling something coming on, take two, three times a day. During the winter months I take it as a preventitive action. It works for me as I am never really sick, but everyone is different. I also take vitamin C twice a day, everyday along with a bunch of other vitamins. As my daughter tells me I have expensive pee.

tomme boy
01-04-2015, 01:52 PM
I have not coughed sense I took the honey and cinnamon

Fishman
01-04-2015, 06:09 PM
I like halls cherry cough drops with menthol and eucalyptus when I start getting stopped up. $2 well spent. Definitely opens up the sinuses.

blademasterii
01-04-2015, 08:34 PM
If I start feeling something I start taking emergen C. It is a powdered vitamine c 1000mg per pack. I take two or 3 of them a day when i'm starting to feel a bit off in the flue season.

tomme boy
01-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Went to DR yesterday they gave me tamiflu. Broke out in the chills and sweats for about 4 hours last night.

I can not remember the last time I was sick. This sucks.

Screwbolts
01-06-2015, 09:42 AM
Take a look at or do a search of "Meso Silver", can be pricy but I take it daily and believe in it.

Ken

gmsharps
01-06-2015, 09:44 AM
When I feel I am coming down with something I use echinacea. It works for me, some folks it doesn't.

gmsharps

parson48
01-06-2015, 01:19 PM
My wife told me "Stop that coughing!". So I guess that I just have to do it!!

Pb2au
01-06-2015, 05:21 PM
Dill tea will stop a hacking cough. It sounds pretty weird, but it works.
I caught some sort of nasty upper respiratory/sinus/ebola infection last October and it smacked me down hard. The worse part was I had this hacking cough that I couldn't shake.
The wife dug into her book of old remedies and found the recipe for dill tea.
about 1 teaspoon of dried dill steeped into a big mug of boiling hot water. Steep for about 5 minutes, strain and add a wee bit of honey if you want.
It actually worked. The cough quieted almost immediately and my chest had a chance to relax and get less inflamed.

tomme boy
01-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Doc said this is going around BAD. They have masks at the doors and are making everyone wear them. Yay!!! my thermostat went out on the way home yesterday. At least it stuck open and not closed.

MaryB
01-06-2015, 10:39 PM
Got hit with this a little over a week ago, sinuses filled, drained down my throat, every joint in my body hurt worse than normal, low grade fever, tired all the time... lots V8 for the Vit C, think I ate 2 jars of salsa for the chili peppers... got rid of most of it but still really tired.

Hating this deep cold, 2 fingertips split open from dry skin(using good hand lotion) from to much hand washing so I don't get some other crud from someone. Friend was going to run over then I asked if anyone was sick over there and he said they were all coughing, told him to stay away until they are over it! He needed some tools from my shed so I set them out on the deck, told him to drop them back in the shed and lock it when done. Cold will disable the virus on them in a few days. He laughed and asked if I wanted the flue and I told him no thanks, your version might have mutated from whatever crud I had.

And I am NOT looking forward to a doc visit next Monday, hate sick people lol

tomme boy
01-07-2015, 06:28 AM
Test came back neg on the flu. Said it is Probably a virus and that there is nothing he can do. Keep hydrated is all he could offer and take Tylenol for aches and pains.

mold maker
01-07-2015, 10:54 AM
Nursing homes on lock down, no visitation at hospitals, and Dr offices full of coughing sick.
I had to go in for an ultra sound and everyone was wearing masks, given out at front desk..
Dr says there is no real cure, just treat the symptoms, and keep hands washed and away from mouth..
What ever works to slow the cough and keep fever down is all he recommended.

Harter66
01-07-2015, 02:06 PM
Ive been hit 2-3 times with assorted sinus migrating to chest bugs this year . While not the best idea I've been hitting them with Alka Seltzer cold and flu and generic dayquil products. 1 was killed off with a mild alcohol saturation, which I credit for killing off a pneumonia bug.

jmort
01-07-2015, 02:09 PM
Cold and flu virus = Sambucol but take it at first sign of sickness.

In folk medicine, flowers from the black elder bush have been used to ease flu symptoms, colds, and sinus problems. In recent years, researchers have begun formal studies of Sambucol -- a formulation of elderberry extract -- to better understand this herbal remedy.
A small study published five years ago showed that 93% of flu patients given Sambucol were completely symptom-free within two days; those taking a placebo recovered in about six days. However, the study took place during an outbreak of influenza B -- so it was unclear whether Sambucol worked with type A virus.
This current study shows that, indeed, it works for type A flu, reports lead researcher Erling Thom, with the University of Oslo in Norway.
Thom's findings were presented at the 15th Annual Conference on Antiviral Research in 2002. The study has been accepted for publication in the Journal of International Medical Research.
The study involved 60 patients who had been suffering with flu symptoms for 48 hours or less; 90% were infected with the A strain of the virus, 10% were infected with type B. Half the group took 15 milliliters of Sambucol or and the other group took a placebo four times a day for five days.

Patients in the Sambucol group had "pronounced improvements" in flu symptoms after three days: Nearly 90% of patients had complete cure within two to three days. Also, the Sambucol group had no drowsiness, the downside of many flu treatments (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/flu-treatment-care).
The placebo group didn't recover until at least day six; they also took more painkillers and nasal sprays.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20031222/elderberry-fights-flu-symptoms?page=2

gpidaho
01-07-2015, 02:22 PM
Tomme: This is everywhere, I haven't had the flu in years, always get my shot. This years shot just didn't work on this strain. Your right! "This sucks" I've turned the corner finally, get better soon. GP

Wayne Smith
01-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Cold and flu virus = Sambucol but take it at first sign of sickness.

In folk medicine, flowers from the black elder bush have been used to ease flu symptoms, colds, and sinus problems. In recent years, researchers have begun formal studies of Sambucol -- a formulation of elderberry extract -- to better understand this herbal remedy.

A small study published five years ago showed that 93% of flu patients given Sambucol were completely symptom-free within two days; those taking a placebo recovered in about six days. However, the study took place during an outbreak of influenza B -- so it was unclear whether Sambucol worked with type A virus.

This current study shows that, indeed, it works for type A flu, reports lead researcher Erling Thom, with the University of Oslo in Norway.

Thom's findings were presented at the 15th Annual Conference on Antiviral Research in 2002. The study has been accepted for publication in the Journal of International Medical Research.

The study involved 60 patients who had been suffering with flu symptoms for 48 hours or less; 90% were infected with the A strain of the virus, 10% were infected with type B. Half the group took 15 milliliters of Sambucol or and the other group took a placebo four times a day for five days.

Patients in the Sambucol group had "pronounced improvements" in flu symptoms after three days: Nearly 90% of patients had complete cure within two to three days. Also, the Sambucol group had no drowsiness, the downside of many flu treatments (http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/flu-treatment-care).

The placebo group didn't recover until at least day six; they also took more painkillers and nasal sprays.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20031222/elderberry-fights-flu-symptoms?page=2

Thanks, just got some for LOML.

MaryB
01-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Ordered some of that for the next time around, had the strain that is common this winter in MN.

tomme boy
01-08-2015, 08:38 AM
I have some elderberry jam from the Amish. Wonder if that would work?

Starting to feel better. Made it out of the house last night. Went to a buddies shop and traded him a brand new LED flashlight for changing out my thermostat. He is an old old friend. He would have done it for free. But he knows I don't let anyone do anything for free. He knows that if I asked him to do this I was not up to it.