PDA

View Full Version : anyone do the rem trigger recall

Lloyd Smale
01-04-2015, 09:37 AM
did you get back a decent trigger? the one on my 700 tactical is one subject to the recall. With the screw all the way out it breaks at 4.5 and that's way to heavy. Just wondering what the new trigger is like? Also I was looking at there site and it almost looks like you have to return it to a repair center to get a new trigger and If you send it to the factory they clean test and inspect your trigger. Doesn't say they replace it though. Don't know if its worth the 40 bucks to ship it to them vs just bucking up and buying a timney for 105. Im not looking for critiques of the timney as ive had at least a half a dozen of them more looking for real world experience with your returned gun.

Powder Burn
01-04-2015, 12:29 PM
I have a SPS in 204 Ruger with XMark trigger that was on the list (for cleaning). Remington sent me packing material and shipping label. Then I remembered they will replace the entire trigger if you mess with it and would possibly charge me for the refit. I've adjusted mine to 2.5#'s and works great. Easily shoots MOA at 300 yds so I have opted to keep it and skip the cleaning/rework.

dragon813gt
01-04-2015, 12:42 PM
Last I heard their turn around time was months and this was before they announced the recall.

Omega
01-04-2015, 01:27 PM
I believe there are two recalls, one affecting the x-mark which gets inspected & cleaned, the other is for the Walker trigger which is probably a replacement. I had the x-mark, it took a few months to get back and I see/feel no difference.

Beagle333
01-04-2015, 01:31 PM
If my 700 trigger were to ever fail..... I would buy a replacement/aftermarket before I would wait several months for an unknown quality repair.

Lloyd Smale
01-04-2015, 02:29 PM
mines a mark x and if all there going to do is clean it ill just toss it and buy a new one.

imashooter2
01-04-2015, 02:41 PM
A friend from work sent his back. Turn around was a touch over 4 months. He was unhappy and stated in hindsight buying an aftermarket trigger would have been better.

osteodoc08
01-04-2015, 03:04 PM
Aftermarket trigger for sure. If you're gonna do that, buy now before they dry up (temporarily)

Nobade
01-04-2015, 03:27 PM
mines a mark x and if all there going to do is clean it ill just toss it and buy a new one.

Lloyd,
The one you have will simply be cleaned and returned. They replace any of the older pre X mark ones with the one you have.

Your trigger can be tuned to work very well and be durable. Most customers are very happy with them after I do my work on them. However, if you want to replace it I would suggest you look at Shilen rather than Timney. They make a better trigger for less money.

-Nobade

lefty o
01-04-2015, 04:58 PM
shilen makes a trigger for less money than a timney?????

rondog
01-04-2015, 06:12 PM
I have my dad's 1980 model 700 in .30-06, it's never acted up to my knowledge, and I have no desire to send it to Remington. If it gives me any trouble I'll just buy my own new trigger.

It's not like I keep it loaded all the time, the only time it's ever loaded is when it's on a bench pointing downrange at a target. And it don't stay loaded for long!

wlc
01-04-2015, 07:03 PM
There is no way I am sending my rifles to them, waiting months for a return, and on top of it all getting a "lawyer" trigger. So far, none of mine have ever given a hint of trouble, all have been adjusted to my likeing by gunsmiths. If I were of a mind to get different triggers I'd just pony up the money and get a good aftermarket.

Nobade
01-04-2015, 09:39 PM
shilen makes a trigger for less money than a timney?????

Yep. $106 from Brownells.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/triggers-parts/triggers/remington-700-40x-xp-100-adjustable-triggers-prod12531.aspx
(this ought to get you there.)

If replacing a new X mark you'll need the safety kit Rifle Basix sells, otherwise it's a straight swap for the older type.

Much nicer than a Timney.

-Nobade

dkf
01-04-2015, 11:18 PM
No way I even considered sending mine back to Remington. Maybe sometime I'll put in an aftermarket trigger myself.

crawfobj
01-04-2015, 11:27 PM
The only remington that I own that is subject to the recall is a brand new youth model 7mm-08 that I got for my sons to grow into. It's never been fired. No way I'm going to send it off. I'll either leave it as is or buy a new trigger.

starmac
01-05-2015, 02:56 PM
If you own any of the older 700s, it has now been recalled.

crawfobj
01-05-2015, 04:59 PM
That's what I thought too, but I entered my serial number into the web site and it told me that my rifle wasn't subject to the recall(s). Not sure what's special about it, but that's what it said. It's a CDL in 7-08 but I'm not sure when it was made.

ShooterAZ
01-06-2015, 10:31 AM
That's what I thought too, but I entered my serial number into the web site and it told me that my rifle wasn't subject to the recall(s). Not sure what's special about it, but that's what it said. It's a CDL in 7-08 but I'm not sure when it was made.

Same here, I entered the S/N and not subject to recall. It has never given me any trouble, but am still considering a trigger upgrade. Have looked at Timney, now will be looking at the Shilen as well.

JesterGrin_1
01-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Sorry but please enlighten me on this subject? There have been probably 100's of thousands of Remington 700's made without an issue. And now they recall all Remington 700's?

I have an old 700 BDL from the early 70's that has never given me a problem. But like someone else said the only time there is a round in the chamber is when I am going to use it. As I have never trusted a safety for safety as the best safety one has is between there ears. :).

Nobade
01-06-2015, 09:16 PM
People are getting two things confused here. The recall only affects a small number of rifles, all made fairly recently. Last year and maybe some the year before. The reason for the recall is evidently some employee was putting too much thread locker on the screws, it got into the works, and could have made the trigger stick back and allow the rifle to fire when taken off safe just like if you had the trigger blade pressed when you operated the safety.

The other thing is not a recall. Remington has admitted no fault, but is offering owners of any M700 a free exchange of their old trigger to the new X mark Pro. Owners of M600s, 788s, 660s, etc. can send their trigger in for a check for "Remington bucks" - about $20 I believe. Then they own a rifle with no trigger, so they aren't going to hurt anybody with it.

This whole last bit is a bit stupid, but it is the result of a bunch of legal maneuvering and somehow makes sense to a bunch of lawyers somewhere. So by far the average owner of a Rem 700 isn't affected at all, unless he has a broken trigger and wants a new one for free. Even the recalled ones are 99% certain to be just fine, but Remington doesn't know how many got out with too much thread locker so they recalled the whole production run. If your rifle is subject to the recall, it's up to you if you want to send them your trigger or not. Most likely it won't matter, but if you are one of those lucky few it could save you some grief in the future.

-Nobade

Duckiller
01-10-2015, 02:10 AM
I recently called Remington customer service about the recall of older Model 700's. The lady that helped me knew nothing about such a recall. At least she hadn't been told about it. I seriously doubt that Remington is going to replace several million trigger assemblies.

M-Tecs
01-10-2015, 02:53 AM
The story broke on a second Remington recalls in early Dec. It appears that the MSM got it wrong and it is only one recall on the 2006 - 2014 triggers.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/12/06/remington-replaces-triggers/20009795/

Under the deal reached in July and filed Friday in federal court in Kansas City, Remington will replace X-Mark Pro triggers on its popular Model 700 and Model Seven rifles manufactured from May 1, 2006, through April 9, 2014. It also agreed to replace XMP triggers on a number of other models, but does not acknowledge any equipment defect.

I posted information in #30 that appears to be the MSM wet dream and not correct.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?261539-Remington-recalls-millions-of-700-today&p=3036965#post3036965

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/massive-785-million-recall-for-popular-us-gun/ar-BBgoPPI The millions appears to be BS and it is still only the 2006 - 2014 triggers.

Lead Fred
01-10-2015, 07:15 AM
If I were ever to replace my 1986 model 700 trigger it would be with this guys.
My bud has them in all his 700s. Real nice.

http://huberconcepts.com/

I bought the Rifle Basix safety mod last week, and installed it over my weekend.
Works much better than the OEM one.
Mine is set at 2.5lbs

sjbrdn
01-13-2015, 02:42 AM
I just purchased a 700 BDL in 7 mm Remington magnum at an auction. it was made in 1986, is spotless, and has a great feeling custom trigger-- about 2 to 2.5 lbs. I worked the action numerous times at the auction and everything felt great. So, I bought it, came home and again worked the action. When I flipped the safety catch forward to the fire position, it did just that (except it was unloaded). It did it 2-3 more times as I continued various combinations and ways of working the action.

I've contacted Remington, and even though I wasn't on the recall, they told me to send it in. I'm curious to see what the results are as I wrote them and told them I did not want a 5# pull but 2.5-3 lbs with no creep. They are supposed to contact me after they inspect the rifle to tell me my options. They should receive the rifle today. I'll let ya'll know how it works out.

Steve

Lloyd Smale
01-13-2015, 05:52 AM
Id bet my house that you have a stock trigger that some idiot started adjusting that didn't know what he was doing. I ordered my timeny yesterday. Ordered one for the 700 tactical and one for a 7mag wby vanguard. the only one I could get for the rem was a straight trigger. Ive allways had curved ones and don't know if Ill like this one or not.

kweidner
01-13-2015, 06:46 AM
Personally I would just replace it. It is generally the first upgrade I do anyway. The rifle basic is another good trigger. Any rifle of mine gets either a jewell, or rifle basic upgrade right after I get it if I plan on shooting it much. My Rugers get Moyer's or rifle basic. The only trigger I haven't really upgraded was a CZ 22-250 with the set trigger.

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2015, 03:24 PM
just got the timney installed. It came at 3 3/4 and adjusted down to a nice crisp 1 3/4 with absolutely no creep. What a difference!!!!!

TXGunNut
01-15-2015, 10:47 PM
Reminds me, I have a 597 in 17HMR that they wanted awhile back. Wonder if they still want it?

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2015, 10:44 AM
I put a rifle basic in a mark II ruger and wasn't all that impressed with it. It was better then stock but not the quality the timneys ive had have.
Personally I would just replace it. It is generally the first upgrade I do anyway. The rifle basic is another good trigger. Any rifle of mine gets either a jewell, or rifle basic upgrade right after I get it if I plan on shooting it much. My Rugers get Moyer's or rifle basic. The only trigger I haven't really upgraded was a CZ 22-250 with the set trigger.

Iron Whittler
01-17-2015, 11:35 AM
I did not do the Remington recall. I installed a Timney 510 trigger. It came set at 3lbs 4oz. I installed it on my 308 win. Set pull weight at 2lbs. 8oz. with no other changes. Results were dramatic to say the least. I have purchased another one for another rem. I have. Adjusting triggers is an item that requires knowledge of trigger function and procedure to get desired Safe results. If you do not have this know how, bring to a good gunsmith. The cost is cheap insurance and peace of mind--Priceless.

Lloyd Smale
01-17-2015, 11:53 AM
that's one good thing about the timneys. If you follow there instructions and leave the sear engagement screw alone and just adjust pull weight you about cant get in trouble.

Motor
01-18-2015, 02:31 AM
Here's a good one. My brother works with a guy who shot a hole in his truck with a Model 700. It does exactly what the ones can do that are recalled. But its NOT on the recall list. But it is defective or broke. I guess it could even have been "adjusted" by an idiot too but he said it hasn't been.

So, If I'm reading this thread correctly my 1990's Mountain Rifle and 2003 Model 7 should not be effected? Correct?

Motor

tygar
01-19-2015, 12:58 AM
I pretty much put in a Jewell or Basix in my Rem actions/rifles but I mostly customize most of them. Have Timney in 2, I think, but know for sure, that on a 308 Tactical, I sent it back to Timney twice until they sent it back at 1.5#s, not 5! Have sent a rifle back to Rem & it was a circle jerk *****!

Bite the bullet & have GS fix it or put whatever your preference is in it.

mattw
01-19-2015, 01:46 AM
I have a collection of old Remington triggers, I put a Jewell in as soon as I get a 700 or 40X. I would not hesitate to put one back on the correct rifle if I were to part with one, but I do not try to adjust stock triggers... they are just not made for that.

trapper9260
01-19-2015, 09:32 PM
I have a 700 in 22-250 and it was last year I ask the gunsmith about the first recall on the 700 and he said they use the wrong lube and was maken the trigger stick and I ask hi if he could look at my and I went home and brought it in and he ask if i had the gun apart ever i said no and took the stock off and it had gum on the area of the trigger and I ask him to clean it up complet and after when I went back to get it he told me that it was ready to give the problems that was on the first recall but since he was able to clean it and got the right lube in it ,I do not haev any more problems now.

Rick Hodges
01-22-2015, 08:18 PM
I bought my 700 7mm Rem. mag. new in 1977. I restocked it and adjusted the trigger to a nice crisp 3#. It is perfect and has functioned perfectly the whole time. Why on earth would I want to send it back?

Scooby
01-22-2015, 08:32 PM
I have three rifles that are under volunteer recall. 1 of which was already back to Remington for the problem they are having, I was coyote hunting in February a few years ago and we had a dog coming in and I flipped the safety off and it went bang. It was 17 deg that day, I unloaded the gun cocked it and flipped the safety off and it went click so I told my hunting buddy that's it I am done for the day. Hind sight is I should have bought Timney's then. After receiving the rifle back from Remington with a 5.5# pull I decided to put a Timney in it. Sense then I have put Timney's in my other 2 700's all set to around 2.5# nice crisp trigger. Just my experience with the recalled trigger and the product I got in return was unacceptable.

Four Fingers of Death
01-23-2015, 12:35 AM
I just walked into the local gun store. They checked the number, pulled out the trigger assembly and replaced it and I was back out the door in ten minutes.

SSGOldfart
01-23-2015, 12:53 AM
If you own any of the older 700s, it has now been recalled.
Yep I've got four that won't be returned