PDA

View Full Version : Bipods & Canting...

BCB
01-04-2015, 09:16 AM
Don’t know if this is really an appropriate question to ask on a Cast Boolit site, but here goes…

What are your opinions on a bipod placed on a Contender to help keep from canting it during shooting on the bench…

Canting seems to be a problem to me as I shoot my Contender…

Bullet/boolit P.O.I.’s do change noticeable as I have purposely canted the handgun “just to see”…

Thanks…BCB

lefty o
01-04-2015, 09:19 AM
they make nice little bubble levels that mount on the scope to help with this.

Tatume
01-04-2015, 09:57 AM
It is my habit to align my cross hairs with the target stand or the edge of the target paper when shooting groups.

contender1
01-04-2015, 11:48 AM
Sounds like you need to work on keeping the gun level with your grip etc. Why are you canting? A bipod can help, but it may not be the problem.

Hickok
01-04-2015, 05:39 PM
I carry a short plastic bubble level in my range bag and when I put up my targets I place it across the top of the paper to make it level. Use an appropriate target design so you can make sure your cross hairs are true and plum as you concentrate on the center.

My Contenders come up and twist left at the shot due to torque of the rifling twist and recoil and my right hand grip.

Scharfschuetze
01-04-2015, 09:19 PM
You might try aligning your vertical cross hair on either the left or right side of the bullseye and the horizontal cross hair on either the top or bottom of the bullseye. Envision your vertical cross hair on the right side of the bull and your horizontal cross hair on the bottom. As long as both are touching the bull, you should be lined up vertically on the target as long as your scope is properly mounted and oriented. You don't need a bipod doing it this way.

While I don't use that technique to correct canting, I do use it with accurate varmint rifles to fire four groups off of one bullseye when developing loads for the upcoming varmint season. With a properly zeroed weapon, you'll end up with groups at 1:30, 4:30, 7:30 and 10:30 or something close to that.

Scharfschuetze
01-04-2015, 09:31 PM
I might add to my previous post that if you have astigmatism in your dominant and you are shooting without corrective glasses, your cross hairs may appear curved and thus may cause your issue.

Practice and the development of muscle memory should fix things; but remember, practicing bad form will only reinforce bad habits.