PDA

View Full Version : 44-40 reduced loads?

dikman
01-04-2015, 07:21 AM
Anyone have any info on using Trail Boss in reduced loads? Not having much success finding info so far, everyone seems more concerned with max loads. A guy I shoot with wants to try some for Cowboy-type shooting. We're currently using 6.5 gns and wonder what the minimum would be.

Tatume
01-04-2015, 09:35 AM
When you are conducting such experiments you should carry a brass rod and a fairly heavy hammer with you to the range. When you get a bullet stuck in the bore, you've gone too low. Don't use a light hammer and sharp raps to dislodge the bullet, as that will cause it to swell and get tighter, risking damage to the gun. A heavy hammer and light blows will move the bullet. (Notice that I don't specify "heavy." My point is, momentum, not energy, will dislodge a bullet. Don't use a tack hammer.)

Alternatively, you can depend on your chronograph. I suggest that any charge that yields less than 700 fps be considered too light, or at least on the edge.

jrmartin1964
01-04-2015, 09:52 AM
The only info I have comes from the "Pistol Data" section of the 2010 Hodgdon "Reloading Annual".

Case: Winchester
Barrel: 6"
Twist: 1-36"
Trim: 1.295"
Primer: Winchester LP
Bullet: 200 gr. Cast LRNFP
Dia.: 0.430"
C.O.A.L. 1.600"

Starting Load
5.5 grains Trail Boss
Velocity: 723 f.p.s.
Pressure: 7,800 p.s.i.

Maximum Load
6.5 grains Trail Boss
Velocity: 826 f.p.s.
Pressure: 11,900 p.s.i.

w30wcf
01-04-2015, 10:29 AM
dikman,
The data that jrmartin1964 posted is also the current Hodgdon Data.

I have loaded 5.0 Trail Boss in the 44-40 under a 200 gr cast bullet and it worked aok. Accuracy was not quite as good as the 6.5 gr load which clocks 1,020 f.p.s. in my Marlin's 24" barrel.

w30wcf

Foto Joe
01-04-2015, 01:08 PM
I've loaded as low as 5.5gr of TB and as high as 7.7gr. My pet load for 44-40 is 5.8gr under a 200gr under an RNFP which yields 813fps and real good accuracy out of a SAA. The beauty of TrailBoss is that you can't theoretically stuff enough powder into any given cartridge to hurt yourself, remember that's "theoretical". As far as minimum loads are concerned I don't see much point in going lower than 5.0gr and you might find that you're getting unburned powder and unstable burn rates that low. TrailBoss is a pretty versatile powder for Cowboy type loads if you can get past the expense of the stuff and the filth that it tends to leave behind. 44-40 tends to seal pretty good in the chamber so the filth is kept to a minimum unlike 45 Colt which leans more towards the labor intensive cleanup with TrailBoss.

Your accuracy of course will be fully dependent upon the gun you're using. Run up some loads and start testing them out to see what works best for you.

cajun shooter
01-06-2015, 11:55 AM
I would not go too far below the loads found in print. They have a thing that can take place with reduced loads that give the same results as a overloaded gun. They have many blown up guns with no explanation as to why it took place.
In my early testing with Trail Boss in 44 WCF and 45 Colt I found some primer back out with the upper loads. I decided to go back to my favorite Unique powder for these size cases.
You may cut down on the 45 Colt cases turning black by annealing your case mouths. The 45 Colt being a straight walled case is very easy to have this take place if you don't have good obturation in the bore, you have cases that are black from all the gases going to the rear. Later David

dikman
01-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys. I searched the CAS forum, and found one member who went down to 3.5 gns, but this was with a revolver. Looks like we'll be sticking to the minimum load with a rifle.

veeman
01-08-2015, 10:52 AM
I've shot thousands of rounds with 4.5 Trail Boss in my Colts, Remington 75's, 92's and 66's. All very accurate, Little recoil to speak of, no leading, clean brass. What's not to love?

sparky45
01-10-2015, 12:12 PM
What is the weight of the bullet you're shooting? My assumption would be the 200gr RNFP, right?

I've shot thousands of rounds with 4.5 Trail Boss in my Colts, Remington 75's, 92's and 66's. All very accurate, Little recoil to speak of, no leading, clean brass. What's not to love?

veeman
01-10-2015, 07:06 PM
That's correct, sir.