PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Hand Primer-make it adjustable

Farmer&shooter
01-04-2015, 04:28 AM
I didn't see a thread where anybody else has said this. Please forgive if this is old news.

I have couple of older RCBS hand priming tools without the primer tray. I have used them since they first came out and love them. But I think I made a useful improvement. On either the small or large punch the top is threaded into the bottom of the punch. The top has a small hole to insert a small drill to turn it. I have never had any brand shellholder that wouldn't fit (like some have reported), but different shell holders result in the handle closing to various degrees. Some are a full inch from the handle coming against the holder, and because of that. you don't have the leverage that is available if the primer seats when the handle is about 1/8 inch from hitting the body. When you don't have much leverage, it is difficult to accurately feel the primer seat. So, I screw out the stem, grind a little off the bottom of the threads, and reinstall. That way I can adjust the length of the punch. No matter what brand shell holder I am using, I can adjust the punch so that I get optimum leverage and a very good "feel" when the primer seats. The adjustment stays put, but you can tell if you need to tweak it by where the handle is stopping.

In any event, it works for me!

If something can go together two ways, but will work only one of those ways, you have a ONE in TEN chance of getting it right the first time.

Bayou52
01-04-2015, 12:14 PM
Farmshooter -

Are you referring to the RCBS Posi-Prime hand priming tool? If so, I use that tool also. I adjust primer seating depth by simply screwing or unscrewing the priming rod into the base that holds it. Simply done with the fingers.

Snaps of my Posi-Primes attached. I have several of them and like them alot.

Bayou52

Farmer&shooter
01-04-2015, 05:49 PM
Bayou52,

Yes, you are doing exactly what I do. But, of the six punches I have, every one came with the threads bottomed out, immovable, and too long to adjust to a comfortable position. That is why I have had to grind about 1/16" off the bottom of the threads.

Bayou52
01-04-2015, 07:43 PM
Bayou52,

Yes, you are doing exactly what I do. But, of the six punches I have, every one came with the threads bottomed out, immovable, and too long to adjust to a comfortable position. That is why I have had to grind about 1/16" off the bottom of the threads.

Farmershooter -

I have a suggestion for you. If you call RCBS and ask for new priming assemblies for the Posi-Prime, they will tell you those parts are out of inventory since the Posi-Prime has been out of production for decades. However, I can tell you that the large and small priming rods for the Posi-Prime are the same as the priming rods for the RCBS Universal priming arm for the bench presses. For that matter, the little sleeves and springs are the same, too.

I would call RCBS and ask they send to you both a large and small priming rod for their universal priming arm. Be sure to indicate you want the ones that have that little hole through the top of the rod. This hole allows you to insert a paper clip in the hole to turn it for adjustment. These new rods may fit better in your Posi-Prime primer assembly base.

See attached link for the rods in question.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/644084/rcbs-single-stage-press-universal-primer-arm-2

Just a suggestion....

Bayou52

hd09
01-05-2015, 07:41 AM
They look to be the same as used in the Ram Prime and the Bench Primer

hd09