PDA

View Full Version : Best age to start young shooter

paralaska
01-04-2015, 03:02 AM
I've a single shot Stephens lever action .22 that I cut down the stock on and was thinking about giving to my grandson on his 8th birthday. My wife says that's too young. The rules would include always being supervised by me or his Dad. . . . I grew up on a farm and started shooting young, but don't remember at what age. But that was long long ago and times were very different then. I'd like to know what you all think? . . .
Thanks . . .

Lonegun1894
01-04-2015, 05:41 AM
My parents started me at 3 yrs old, under some serious supervision of course. I started an ex girlfriends (we were together then) daughter at 5yrs old with a BB gun, and she was doing great by the time she was 7yrs old with her own .22LR. And I have seen people bring their 16yr old kids out to the range that I wouldn't trust with a cap gun, they were that irresponsible and wouldn't listen to any safety instruction. We ended up kicking them off the range for safety violations. I don't think there is a set age where every child is responsible and trustworthy, but rather each is different and it is up to you and your wife as the grandparents and up to the parents (mostly the parents) to decide if the child in question is ready or not. Regardless if y'all decide to do this now, or later, I would suggest starting with a BB gun if possible. What I did with the EXs daughter was teach her basic safety, and then have her demonstrate with an unloaded BB gun. This was the first few days, and she was corrected every time she made a mistake. After a few days of no mistakes, she was given BBs when supervised, and then as time went on, she was taught about the other guns in the house, and allowed to shoot anything she wanted to try as long as she was supervised. By the time she was 8, she was shooting my H&R BC .45-70 with VERY light loads, and off the bench because she wasn't strong enough to hold the gun up by herself. Only you all know when the child is ready, because only you and your family know the specific child in question. And don't worry, whatever y'all decide, you'll be right!

RobS
01-04-2015, 06:12 AM
I was pheasant hunting before or at age 7 with a 20 gauge over and under and 22's in rifles before that but my Dad was right there making sure safety was of utmost importance. My son is 8 and he has shot a 204 ruger bolt action, 45 Colt lever action, 22 lever action, and a 22 revolver. He has had me and my Dad (Grandpa) there every step of the way stressing the importance of safety, these are not toys and are deadly.

My Dad and I are firm believers that shooting and talking about safety isn't enough but seeing what a firearm can do is what really relates the safety issue. We took my son out prairie dog hunting and him seeing first hand what a firearm does to game puts things into real perspective as to why safety is so important. Treat an unloaded gun the same as a loaded one is an important safety rule among many others in our family.

JSnover
01-04-2015, 06:53 AM
I was about 7, I started my daughters at 7 or 8.
When they're old enough to pay attention, follow simple instructions and obey the rules.
Teach them a little at a time until you think they're ready for live fire.

tomcat388th
01-04-2015, 07:06 AM
I was 7 when Mom and Dad got me started I still remember shooting my first squirrel behind the house with a Mom's bolt action 410.

lefty o
01-04-2015, 09:21 AM
it depends more on the behavior and maturity of the child, could be 4 or maybe 65.

flylot
01-04-2015, 09:35 AM
Great timing on this question, I was giving thought of teaching my grandson to shoot. He is eight. I thought of starting with bb then moving up to a nice pellet rifle before the 22. I have some vacation this month, so you've become the catalyst to start this endeavour. ....

richhodg66
01-04-2015, 09:41 AM
Dad was taking me and my siblings to the range as long as I can remember, can't remember when I started shooting, but was a lot younger than eight.

I got my two shooting BB guns and such when they were very small and I made them where safety glasses and would only let one shoot at a time. Supervision is the key.

I got each of them their own dedicated .22 rifle when they were about eight. Bolt action single shots which sent a lot of rounds down range and which both were interested in and liked to take out and shoot long after they had grown and graduated to other guns.

I'd say take him shooting with it closely supervising him and see what happens. If he's ready to have his own rifle, you'll know pretty quick, if not, then going shooting with it will be something he only gets to do when he visits with grandpa for a year or two until he is ready.

Sounds like you're thinking exactly right and you have some good times ahead with that boy. Congratulations.

Wasalmonslayer
01-04-2015, 12:00 PM
My son is five and he is tall and strong for his age. He also listens and understands.
He has been shooting a single six with dads supervision and help for 18 months.
He gets mad at his mom when she wants him to go with her to town when I go shooting.
He is a big boy now and wants to go in the mountains with dad is his line he tells his mom.
I think the age depends on the child for sure.
I know some adults that I wouldn't let shoot a cap gun!

RobS
01-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Another thought, I do remember taking the hunter safety course and when it was time to take the test I had to have an instructor read the questions and answer choices because I had not learned to read yet in school.

jmort
01-04-2015, 01:33 PM
"it depends more on the behavior and maturity of the child, could be 4 or maybe 65"

^ This is it. It not a calender deal, it is a child by child deal. Some kids at 5 have old souls and some at ten are not there yet. Dads tend to want to project on their kids. Let it take its course.

paralaska
01-04-2015, 02:54 PM
I had him shooting BB gun last summer . . . Also small bow & arrow outfit . . . He is very proud of accomplishments with both . . . I think we'll continue with BB gun in the yard (We live in town), and go with the .22 at the range. I don't expect to let him shoot either without supervision. . . .

pjames32
01-04-2015, 03:06 PM
Grandpa started me at age 6. Dad did not own a gun. First I had to give up ALL my toy guns, a big deal in the 50's. I got a BB gun of my own, but Grandpa let me shoot a 22. Safety was paramount and I carried an empty shotgun the first season so everyone could observe my safety. Started my daughter at age 8. She was mostly interested in pistols and was shooting a 45acp by age 10.
I taught hunter ed for about 20 years. From that, there is not an "age' that's correct. Depends entirely on the maturity of the kid.
Started a friends 2 grandsons at age 8 & 10 and they drew their first elk hunt this year at age 10 & 12. I think that was too soon for the 10 year old,but they hunted 5 days and were safe. The 12 year old got his first elk so he's hooked for life.
I do think a BB/pellet gun is a good place to start. Emphasize safety and if the attention drifts, put the guns away.
YMMV
PJ
YMMV

pworley1
01-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Every child is different. Some are ready at 5 or before and some are never ready.

birddog
01-04-2015, 08:23 PM
I was shooting with my dad and brother when I was 5yrs old. Dad drilled gun safety from day one and that is still the most important thing on any young shooters list. I have a chipmunk rifle that is sized to fit a 5-6yr old shooter and my grandson will be shooting with Papa when he can hold the gun correctly and safely. Ya his mother/my daughter says he's to young I told her he could decide that and WE will not argue about that!
Charlie

enfieldphile
01-04-2015, 08:49 PM
If they are out of diapers, it's time!

oldoak2000
01-06-2015, 01:08 PM
ANY age is good to start teaching firearm safety.
8yo is certainly old enough; (I'm certified 4H Rifle Instructor, and 8yr and up are allowed to learn, train, and shoot (supervised, of course)).

FlatTop45LC
01-06-2015, 01:12 PM
I don't ever remember not shooting. I know for a fact by the time I was 5 I had my own guns and roamed the woods behind the house with my 410 and a pocket full of shells.

I new dang well what waited for me if I disrepected guns.

BruceB
01-06-2015, 01:28 PM
We never allowed toy guns in the house.

My daughter was given a Chipmunk .22 rifle when she was about five, and when the neighborhood kids were playing with toy guns, she'd tell them (loftily) that SHE didn't play with toy guns because SHE had a REAL one. This led to several visits from kids to see if the story was true, and it also led to several range excursions for neighborhood youngsters (with parental blessings, of course).

Her very first experience with live fire came at about age three. I took her to the range, got the glasses and muffs on her, and handed her a cocked and UNlocked 1911 .45. I made a point of doing no apparent preparation to the gun at all.

Helping her hold the pistol, I indicated the trigger and said, "Pull that." BLAAM! "Again." BLAAAM! "Again". BLAM! After six rounds, she said, "That's enough, Dad."

The rationale here was to impress upon her the FACT that, when a trigger is pulled, drastic things happen. That's why I used a .45 and not a .22. That's also why I made no visible preparation to the pistol.

As we were leaving the range, she asked "When can we go shooting again, Dad?" Sure did frighten the daylights out of her, didn't I?

Now an adult (just graduated with a BSc from University of Nevada Reno), she lives alone in her own house and has about ten or more guns. She's already spoken for some of my guns, when I no longer need them.

jsizemore
01-14-2015, 07:51 PM
My buddy started his son sitting in the deer stand with him when he was 3. He decided he wanted to hunt so he had to prove that he could handle the gun and not mess a critter. By 5 he could shoot to 200 yards and got his limit every year from 5 to 16, his current age. He has to keep his grades up to shoot and hunt and has been on the honor roll his entire education.

Almost every top notch competitor I've competed with started very young and take excellence as an everyday occurrence because they enjoy what they do. It doesn't matter if it's shooting, baseball, football, darts or playing an instrument. What does the youngin' want to do? It can be a powerful motivator.

bubba.50
01-14-2015, 09:37 PM
I learned to shoot at age three with my uncle holdin' the gun, holdin' & aimin' on my own at age five and got my first gun for Christmas when I was twelve.

18Bravo
01-21-2015, 09:52 PM
Lefty O hit it on the head. It's more about maturity than age. My 9 year old grandson pays attention, listens and practices what he's told when we go shooting. Got his first deer with his father last year. Proud little guy! On the other hand I wouldn't trust my step-daughters 13 year old son with a loaded BB gun.

GhostHawk
01-21-2015, 10:07 PM
Organized Firearm safety normally gives the class to 6th graders or 12 yr olds.

They are mature enough to understand how serious it is.

Much younger than that I can see some time plinking with BB guns but safety would have to be a big part of it.
Teach em right, catch em young, it will stick their whole lives.

BNE
01-21-2015, 11:04 PM
Maturity and oversight. I made my first shots at age 4, but I was literally wrapped in my Dad's arms. I did not shoot alone until in my early teens and then it was with permission. Permission was always granted, but it was communicated so everyone would know.

I just cut down a 10-22 stock for my nephew to shoot. He is 7 and needs 100% supervision. I have to admit, even though he is having a blast, I think I'm enjoying teaching him more.

jcren
01-21-2015, 11:10 PM
The best time to introduce our next generation to their roots is yesterday. My littlest started shooting a bb gun at 4 and a cricket .22 (under hands on supervision of course) at 5. SHE can hit a pop can 3 out of 5 at 25 yards off hand. Do you think daddy's proud?

DrDogwood
01-22-2015, 01:39 AM
I don't know how old I was when I started shooting because I grew up around firearms. But I can remember my first lessons. We were taught to respect all guns from the first cap gun we picked up. I believe that the earlier we start to teach our next generation of shooters about the rules of firearms and the basics of shooting the better off they will be. Some of my best memories are spending time with my father and grandfather when I was very young learning to shoot and to be responsible for my actions with a rifle. What I guess I am trying to say is teaching kids about firearms is a good reason to just spend time with them no matter how old they are. Give them memories that they can look back on fourty years from now and smile about.

koehlerrk
01-25-2015, 07:33 AM
Well, back on the farm, my first time shooting was with a 22 and I was 5. It was the summer between Kindergarten and First Grade, I know because when I went back to school I was able to tell everyone what I did that summer, and my teacher did not approve. That was my first introduction to a liberal, though I didn't truly understand it back then. She was certain I was going to kill myself, and really got her her panties in a wad when I told my best friend that I'd have to ask my dad, but I didn't have a problem with him coming up to learn how to shoot. Few weeks later, that's exactly what we did too.

But, yeah, it all comes down to the maturity of the child. Tom and I were 5 when we started. My little brother was 4. All three of my kids started at 4-5, and the oldest is chomping at the bit wanting to turn 21 so she can get her pistol permit. Poor girl has two years to go, but that's also the year she will graduate college, yes, Daddy is thinking graduation present for his little girl.

Point is, start them when they're ready, don't rush them, and make it fun. You'll get them hooked for life.

Clark
01-27-2015, 11:42 AM
When I was 5, I remember there was one day I did not wear my cap gun holsters, and that was unusual. I lobbied my father for guns. He never bought me any. But when he was 90 and I was 60, he died. I went on a gun buying spree. It is never too late to start.

trapper9260
01-27-2015, 01:04 PM
Every child is different. Some are ready at 5 or before and some are never ready.

That is so true.There is some out there that no one want to be around no matter what for how they are.A friend of my he came over last summer with 2 of his brothers daughters one that is 18 and the other was 12 and ther brother that is 18 .The boy shot a 20ga before but the 2 girls never touch a gun after all 3 left here they know how to shoot just about all kind of style of guns from rifle and shotgun and hand guns to semi auto and wheel gun.My friend told me after when I call him the next day that they ask him when he will be coming to see me again because they like to do more shooting here.They are in the city of Chicago.so it dose not matter what age to learn , but it dose of how that person is .

1Shirt
01-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Start them when they are between 4-5 if they are level headed kids who listen. If they don't fall into this category, wait until they do fall into the level headed individual category. As someone else mentioned, some never develop into level headed individuals.
1Shirt!

mattw
01-27-2015, 03:15 PM
I started my 12 yo daughter at 5.5 and my other daughter who is now 8 was started at about 5. My oldest is really starting to appreciate paper targets and groups with a 22, 38 and sometimes a 45. My youngest is still stuck on pop cans and 2 liter bottles filled with water.

They have a Cricket rifle that both share, but the oldest really enjoys pistols. My oldest loaded from scratch her first rifle rounds a few weeks ago, the only condition was that if she loaded them she had to shoot some. She and I discussed that she did not want a lot of recoil, but she still wanted something the would hit the intended target hard. We discussed how to work up a load, based on bullet selection and desired performance. We discussed what powder to use and what burn rates were... She selected 4895SC for her intended load work up in Dad's old 30-30. She selected the same powder that I used for my first loads in that rifle, she did choose a somewhat lighter bullet. I cast them, she sized and lubed them and inspected them. She watched the casting DVD set that made its way to my house and paid attention... We worked thru setting up dies, priming and how a powder measure works and then she loaded the shells.

She shot 4 and was impressed and wants to shoot it more, bit more recoil than she imagined... but wants to continue!

I know, very windy! I feel that immersion into the sport, leads to safety not surprise or mystery or feeling that it is a toy. Both kids do not touch a gun, without permission and they always check to see if it is loaded when they do touch the gun.

nagantguy
01-27-2015, 03:29 PM
I had him shooting BB gun last summer . . . Also small bow & arrow outfit . . . He is very proud of accomplishments with both . . . I think we'll continue with BB gun in the yard (We live in town), and go with the .22 at the range. I don't expect to let him shoot either without supervision. . . .
That is great, age isn't as important as maturity and willingness to learn and ability. My daughter started shooting bb guns at about 4 at five she got her own with the rule that if there was one safety incident, one use with out me or her grandpa, if she let it rust ect. It would be taken away. She did great and we built a 10/22 to her specs and to fit her for her fifth bday. This weekend she went on her first big multi person Rabbit drives. She's been hunting for 2 years but only with me. Her aim, respect and most of all her muzzle awareness was first rate. If your grandson at 8 is ready and mom and dad won't have a cow then 8 is the right age!!! And good for you making a rifle that fits him, biggest problem I see is with kids that get year that is over sized, to heavy long and clumsy that's a recipe for disaster!

DLCTEX
01-27-2015, 08:14 PM
You are 5 years behind. My greatgrand sons, ages 5 and 6, took their first deer in November with 243s under the close supervision of their grandmother and grandfather.

JB Weld
01-30-2015, 01:29 AM
I started my daughter at 5. I got her shooting a Heritage single action with 22 shorts. She now has a little 22 Cricket, and cannot hit the side of a barn with the iron sights. We still have a good time shooting! I just want her to have fun right now. We can hit the targets later.

JHeath
02-05-2015, 04:20 AM
My son was eight, great kid but capable of getting slightly distracted. I stayed close enough to get a hand on the barrel. He did well though.

My daughter soon after announced that today was the day I'd promised to take her to the range -- news to me! She was 6. I am sure she imagined it, but in her mind it was a promise I'd made. I reflected -- her concentration was excellent, and she was a reliable kid. So I agreed.

She disappeared into her room, re-emerged in her best velvet/lace dress, buckle shoes, etc.! All she understood was that the range is an Important Place, so she dressed for it! She did great and still enjoys shooting with her old man.

The range has always meant more to me since seeing her get dressed up for it.

nagantguy
02-05-2015, 08:45 AM
My son was eight, great kid but capable of getting slightly distracted. I stayed close enough to get a hand on the barrel. He did well though.

My daughter soon after announced that today was the day I'd promised to take her to the range -- news to me! She was 6. I am sure she imagined it, but in her mind it was a promise I'd made. I reflected -- her concentration was excellent, and she was a reliable kid. So I agreed.

She disappeared into her room, re-emerged in her best velvet/lace dress, buckle shoes, etc.! All she understood was that the range is an Important Place, so she dressed for it! She did great and still enjoys shooting with her old man.

The range has always meant more to me since seeing her get dressed up for it.

Thanks for sharing that story...youll have to excuse me know I seem to have got something in my eye..

lka
02-05-2015, 09:20 AM
not too young, single shot is good, my oldest is 7 and he's been shooting many times over the years. I think it helps show them guns are not toys/to respect them. My secretary (Single mom of 2 boys) is anti-gunish, she wouldn't allow even allow toy guns in the house,, anyways he oldest son (Little younger then my oldest) was drawing guns at school and really obsessed (supposedly) I convinced her to let me take him to the range to show him they are not toys, he did really good, listened to me, and was very well behaved (He supposedly has behavioral problems) anyways he respects guns now and all the stuff stopped to this day its been like 1.5 years now.. she now allows fake guns and they are part of a paint-ball group now.

CWME
02-05-2015, 10:07 AM
I took my 5 year old to the range for the first time this past summer. We made an afternoon of it. Stopped at Walmart for a hat and hearing protection. Meandered through Cabelas looking at the fish and stuffed animals. Finally made it to the range and fired a few shots with my handguns so she could get used to the sound. I helped her give the M+P 15-22 a go. She fired a few rounds and wanted to see the target. Fired a few more and went to see the target. Told me it was my turn and she would watch back at the bench. I fired a few on my own and asked if she wanted to try it again and she said no thank you. We packed it up and headed out to get a snack and a drink on the way home. A few days later she asked if we could go to the range again so we packed it all up and headed out. I had picked her up a BB gun with a pink stock. She fired that with my help 10-15 times and told me it was my turn again.

I think she wants to spend time with me more than she wants to shoot and I am good with that.

Doggonekid
02-18-2015, 12:45 AM
The maturity of the youngster is the most important consideration. The next consideration is the maturity of the kids parents. My kids think my grandsons are too young at 5 they want me to wait till they turn 8. My only grandson who is 8 is a good shot I wish I could of started him out sooner. My son could hit a rabbit on the run with his Chipmunk when he was 8.

shooterg
02-26-2015, 03:06 PM
Old man was a Marine. Never owned a handgun. Showed me how to shoot with the old Springfield 15Y .22 he'd used on his trapline($2.98 from Sears Roebuck !) before joining Uncle Sam's Misguided Children and touring Asian islands in WWII. Was probably 5, for sure was allowed to hunt squirrels on my own by 8 on the farm. Daughter was 6 when I gave her a Chipmunk, 8 before she got interested in shooting it. All are different for sure.

Iowa Fox
02-26-2015, 06:10 PM
My oldest son was about 3 when he first started under my supervision with a daisy #25. By the time he was 8 he was shooting my 357 and 7mm TCU. He is in his 40s now and still loves to shoot, thank goodness for reloading presses and bullet molds.

southpaw
02-27-2015, 12:13 PM
I was probably 4 and a half when my Dad started me, give or take. They are my earliest memories. He would take us (me and my brother) out in the swamp and shoot at beer cans. It stemmed from that.

I started my first (my boy) at about 3.5. It took a few trips to the cabin to realize how a scope works. He didn't like the cricket that I got for him but loves the cz452 that I started him on. Off the bench he takes his time and makes sure that he is one target before he shoots. He can get ~4 shots on clay bird before the pieces are too small to shoot. The swinging steel targets I can not keep the orange pasties on. He just destroys them.

I started my first daughter a little after she was 4 (winter baby). It took her a little longer to figure out what the cross hairs are for but once she got it she was right on. Not as good as my boy but there isn't a clay bird or beer can say within 30 yards! I am sure this spring she will show me how it is done!

Both listen very well. They won't touch any gun unless they are told that they can. But then they have been around them since they were born. I didn't hide anything or try to keep them in the dark. When they were barely walking and would come up to me and I had a gun I would let them see it and explain that they couldn't touch it unless mommy or daddy said it was ok.

My baby is a little over a year away from shooting and she already knows about daddies guns. She (like the others) have a thing for the deer mounts. She listens pretty good so it is looking promising. She also likes to go through daddies gun room looking at the guns.

I am many years away from being a grandfather but I would check with his mom and dad. They would know best. If they are ready for him to have a gun then it is fine. Most are ready young if they are raised around them. But if the parents are not ready then it is not time.

Wishing you the best with your new range buddy!!

Jerry Jr.

mtnman31
02-27-2015, 02:38 PM
Too early to hold a rifle, so I had to make do with a pistol.

shooterg
03-01-2015, 10:35 PM
I think you coulda handled the rifle - just not enough room !

Huffmanite
03-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Don't know when she began shooting, but recall day a dad showed up at range with his 12 year old daughter, a very slim petite girl. Both were shooting 50 cal Barretts. Dad shot in 50 cal competitions and she was too. Laughed when at a year or so later, dad proudly told me, while they shot in different age groups, he was having a problem out scoring her. Saw them last year at our range. While she was now a first year college student and being sponsored by Barrett, she still was a slim petite lovely girl. She'd just received a new 50 Cal from Barrett to use in some national competition in Arizona or New Mexico, forget which. She was shooting the rifle for the first time, zeroing the scope and etc.

tomon
03-15-2015, 11:17 AM
I started my Kids a bit different. They were 9, 6, and 5 (thereabouts), and I took them all to the range having made up some impressive targets to show them just what the various guns would do. Colored water in gallon jugs, a cardboard box to show them what shotgun shells WITHOUT the shot in would do, etc, etc. Since it was at a public range, there were others shooting as well. I think it worked well, as when they shortly started with an old Stevens Favorite loaded(or not) handed to them to shoot at fairly close targets up in the mountains where nothing within miles, started shooting themselves. It never took with the oldest, and he still doesn't own a gun at 43, but the two younger ones went through the then DCM smallbore and highpower programs for a few years. They both are gun owners now. My grandchildren are 7 and 4 now. Time for them to get the demonstration of what guns will do, and how they sound, and how to handle them in all situations. I gave the same demonstrations to other youngsters at our club, and BoyScout and CubScout troops. CubScouts was unofficial as their rules say BB guns only at the time. The Army stated that 10 was the minimum age for their smallbore 3-position program, but younger siblings would always be brought along as the parents had to deliver the junior shooters to the range. Safety training for all parents and kids was first, and when they were ready to start prone with the Remington 513Ts, I had built a couple of 510s into light target rifles and were shot prone from a sandbag. large target at the beginning, but moved to the A17s as they improved.

boltaction308
03-15-2015, 11:31 AM
I started when I was 6

I taught the NRA junior program at my local club for 14 years. I often worked with kids 6 years old. I also teach archery to kids. For archery, I require at least 8, takes more muscles for archery than a rifle on sand bags.

As stated above, it is dependent on the child. I have had 10 year olds that need to wait a couple of more years.