PDA

View Full Version : New 'Puter

TXGunNut
01-03-2015, 04:18 PM
Actually, not really sure it's even considered a computer. Think it's a netbook or something like that. My aging laptop was accumulating a list of things it refused to do and when that list grew to include online banking I had to make some changes. Poor old thing may be salvageable but nothing I new how to try helped, time to move on.
New netbook is about as basic as it gets but a step up in RAM and a few other improvements make it better for surfing, so far. Still figuring things out but looks good so far. Some version of spellcheck is automatic so I'll spend less time doing that myself, lol. I know that a tablet is the modern thing to have but I'm not ready for that yet.
Amazes me that this thing costs less than 1/10th what my 13 yr old desktop cost and probably has 10 times the utility. Not looking forward to transferring all that stuff, think I'll do a little load research and adjourn to the loading room for awhile.:killingpc

MrWolf
01-03-2015, 04:24 PM
I do all my "normal" stuff on my Ipad. It is just to convienent for checking emails, browsing, reading books, watching movies, etc.. You should be able to do about the same with a netbook but I think you get a usb which I don't have. Good luck with it.

Ron

TXGunNut
01-03-2015, 04:40 PM
IPad is probably what I should have bought, would complement my IPhone well but just not ready to make that move yet.

jmort
01-03-2015, 04:49 PM
I love my IPad. Very handy for reading/viewing books/net. Now that I have had one for a while, I should have got one sooner. Still need a laptop. I have had a couple net books and really like that format as well.

MrWolf
01-03-2015, 04:49 PM
I fought it myself. My daughter had a Mac and an Iphone and she loved it. I decided to try the Ipad when my laptop went and my replacement was basically only being used to prepare tax returns. Ipad was so convienent I got an Iphone. They work great together especially the calendar for me.

bangerjim
01-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Love the iPad. Just got a new iPad Air II for Christmas from my oldest son. The older iPad2, after the horrible iOS8 debacle Apple did, was unbelievably slow, crashed and was a mess. Wife has a new one too. I do all my business presentations on it in front of customers. Haven't had either of my notebooks fired up in over 2 years! Clock batteries are probably even dead by now.

With iCloud, you can get everything on the iPhone on your iPad and on your PC or Mac. Cool!

When I fired up the new one Christmas Day, I just let the cloud restore every app and file to the new one and within an hour EVERYTHING was there!!!!!!

Now I just need to go to the Apple store and get the new tiny camera adaptor dongle so I can do my MIDI interface stuff with my sequencing apps.

Isn't technology wonderful?

banger

prsman23
01-03-2015, 07:20 PM
Having a hard time letting go of my old 17 inch PowerBook. Hate that they only offer small screens now. Guess I'll have to suck it up and deal.

garym1a2
01-03-2015, 08:15 PM
I love my $200 HP stream 11 inch.
Battery seems to last forever, powers up in seconds and works well for what I use it for.

kfarm
01-03-2015, 11:27 PM
Have my books and quickload on my desktop every thing else is done on this Nexus tablet. And yes I'm laying in bed as we speak.

TXGunNut
01-04-2015, 01:05 AM
[QUOTE=garym1a2;3076237]I love my $200 HP stream 11 inch.
Battery seems to last forever, powers up in seconds and works well for what I use it for.[/QUOTE

Wow, that's what I bought. All pretty good so far.

Recluse
01-04-2015, 01:11 AM
Having a hard time letting go of my old 17 inch PowerBook. Hate that they only offer small screens now. Guess I'll have to suck it up and deal.

You and me both, but a couple of weeks ago I got a MacBook Pro with Retina display. Only thing I miss about my PowerBook (which I still have) is the keyboard. Still not a fan of the "electronic" keyboards but am adapting.

:coffee:

TXGunNut
01-04-2015, 01:24 AM
All this adapting makes me feel like a relic of the past seeking refuge from today's version of reality.

ballistim
01-04-2015, 10:42 AM
I have an iPad, iPhone, & 3 Mac's throughout the house. I've never looked back, had countless problems with PCs & Androids, don't mean to start a fuss but this is what works for me. I do use a Kindle Paperwhite to read books on, and it is my favorite way to read books electronically.

10x
01-04-2015, 11:37 AM
Got a tablet and miss the keyboard? Get a Zagg Bluetooth keyboard. And learn keyboard commands

I have users computers with various operating systems since then. A zagg keyboard makes an ipad tablet tolerable

My wife and children use Macs and all are high maintainance.

FredBuddy
01-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Bought an iPad 3 months ago. Accidently FaceTimed my sister a month ago. Took the iPad to my mother's 101st birthday last Sunday. 4 of us (her kids) were there with family, and I arranged to FaceTime the other three. What a hoot.

Imagine all she has seen - came the boat over in 1926!

Moonie
01-05-2015, 09:34 AM
We had a baby dedication at church a few weeks ago, one of the fathers was there via facetime, from Afghanistan...

TXGunNut
01-12-2015, 12:31 AM
I'm such a doofus, took me until today to get the mouse pad figured out and the tool bars turned on.