PDA

View Full Version : Stevens Favorite 32L rim w/ Dixie gun works cases????

A pause for the COZ
01-03-2015, 12:51 PM
I want to try out my Favorite. i have 6 of the Dixie cases.
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_101_287&products_id=8155

They state to use .310 round balls.

My question is. How do you seat the round balls?
Balls are .310 and the ID of the case is .285

Dont want to ruin a $6 case.

leadman
01-03-2015, 01:48 PM
You must have a case that takes a "heeled" boolit like a 22 rimfire. If so you will not be able to shoot the rb out of the case.

Have you tried the case in the guns chamber? If the sides fit properly you have a chamber as mentioned above, if real loose you have the wrong cases.
I checked my Cartridges of the World and it lists 5 different 32 rimfire cartridges.

Buffalo Arms lists a mould for the heeled boolit but it is out of stock, only $142!

A pause for the COZ
01-03-2015, 02:51 PM
Never mind... I figured it out.
Light tap with a wood mallet seats the bullet so they wont fall off.
.5cc of trail boss loaded from the bottom and a 22 cal blank.
And pop they shoot fine.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9676_zps386dc964.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9677_zps13702087.jpg

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_9678_zps2300ed4c.jpg

leadman
01-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Might want to rub a little boolit lube or Crisco on the ball to lube it.

Glad you figured it out. I do know that some folks use a sizer on the ball to make it easier to load.

Chev. William
01-04-2015, 04:37 PM
For more information on the .32 Long RF and dimensionally similar .32 Long Colt, take a Look at "reloadable .32 rimfire brass (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?147224-reloadable-32-rimfire-brass&highlight=Stevens+Favorite)" on this web site.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

drinks
01-04-2015, 05:31 PM
Some Stevens owners are converting to cf, then rechambering to .32 S&W with good results.
I converted a #4 RB ,from .32rf to cf and rechambered it to .32-20.
The #4 RB is a stronger action than the Stevens, so the .32 S&W is the preferred conversion for the Stevens and the cases are usually available.

A pause for the COZ
01-04-2015, 07:23 PM
Some Stevens owners are converting to cf, then rechambering to .32 S&W with good results.
I converted a #4 RB ,from .32rf to cf and rechambered it to .32-20.
The #4 RB is a stronger action than the Stevens, so the .32 S&W is the preferred conversion for the Stevens and the cases are usually available.

Actually if I could find some one to convert it to 32S&W L I would most likely do it. The barrel is in good enough shap for that.

leadman
01-05-2015, 01:39 AM
Might ask John Taylor on this site about converting it? Not sure he does these but he might have an idea of who would.

Chev. William
01-05-2015, 09:35 PM
This is the details form a Gunbroker.com auction for "299153" Cast Lead Heeled Bullets ($18.00 for 100) by "Tenmile":
"

Description for Item # 461034136

http://www.gunbroker.com/image/transparentcorner_topright.gif

100 heel bullets cast using Ideal 299153 mould. These bullets work equally well in the long or the short case. Weigh around 87 grains. The heel diameter is about 0.298" and the diameter at the lands is about 0.315". Usual hardness is about BHN 8. When loading these bullets to work through the magazine of a Marlin, proper case length is 0.82" My 1891 shot the pictured group (tang sight, 25 yd). Payment by money order. Buyer pays $6.00 shipping on any quantity up to 500 pieces. NO PAYPAL. I also have 32 Long Colt new brass that has been formed from Starline 32 S&W Long. This is what I use in my own rifles. Case length is approx. 0.94", untrimmed. To load 32 long and short Colt, you can put together a die set from parts, some of which you might already have. Size die: A letter "O" drill bushing pressed into an old 7/8-14 die that has been bored for the bushing. For tight chambers an 8mm bushing is a thousandth smaller. These can be had at an industrial supply. I have these on hand (5/8ODx3/4L) for $10 or installed in a used 7/8-14 die for $25. Expander: All you need to do is slightly bell the mouth of the sized case so the bullet will seat without shaving lead. A 30 caliber expander plug can be ground and polished by hand to a gentle taper and will do the job nicely. Seating: 32 S&W or 32 ACP seating die. Most seating plugs are too blunt for the 299153 bullet so can either be relieved to fit or you can use epoxy glue to make a perfect fit. The seating plug on the RCBS 32 ACP die works pretty well as is. Crimping is not necessary. However, if you belled the case mouth too much, run the loaded round into the size die just far enough to straighten out the case mouth. This works better than you might think. If you don't want to resize your brass every time and the heel does not fit tightly in the case, use a touch of retaining grade LocTite to secure the bullet. 32 die sets are usually cheap at gun shows, but a Lee die set probably costs less than the gas to a gun show. It would work to make a sleeve for a 38, 44, or 45 die and turn a seating plug if you have a lathe or a friend who knows how to use one. Lube the bullets with Lee liquid alox or a mix of alox and Johnson's paste wax either before loading or after. It seems like everyone has a method they like. I still have some Rooster liquid jacket. It is available from Midway."

I believe this is J. Harrison's posting of available items. I have bought both bullets and Cases from him in the past and they are of Good Quality.

Best Regards,
Chev. William

Chev. William
01-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Generally it is NOT recommended to chamber a "Stevens Favorite" of any Era/Model to a Cartridge Larger than those the "Favorite" was originally chambered for. This is usually not given with a particular Era/Model referred to; but that is a Very Important consideration.
A 1886 Favorite is different fro a 1894 Favorite is different from a 1915 favorite and all of them varied over their productions runs with Strengths improving from earliest to latest over time.

I would recommend you look at CF conversion and use a .32 Long Colt, NOT a .32 S&W Long, because;
A) there are no current .32 Long Colt High Performance/High Pressure loadings commercially available like there are for .32 S&W Long or similar diameter cases.
B) By using the .32 Long Colt, you avoid needing to re-bore the Barrel before you re-chamber it.
C) The same Extractor may be used for the .32LC CF as for the .32L RF.
D) The Cartridge rated pressures are comparable and compatible.

The S&W round uses a larger Bore/Groove diameter Barrel AND a larger diameter Cartridge and Bullet.
While the .32 Long Colt uses the same case Dimensions and Bullet diameter, Bore/Groove diameters of the .32 Long RF cartridge.

Changing the Breech Block is reasonable for use as a CF arm, and it is usually cheaper than the costs of reworking a Barrel to the larger dimensions.

Best Regards,
Chev. William