View Full Version : For the German GEW98 Mauser experts - a question.

bedbugbilly
01-03-2015, 12:37 PM
This is a little "off topic" but it is a question associated with the GEW98s so thought I'd ask here.

I've been having fun with my GEW98 and cat sneeze loads - unfortunately, it is back in MI and I am now in AZ - you can only haul so much across country! :-)

My question is in reference to bayonets for the GEW98. (unfortunately, mine are locked up back in MI as well). I have one of the long "quill back" blade bayonets, and two of the "butter knife" style - one plain back and one saw back. I never really looked at them that well but got to wondering . . .

Were the bayonets "serial numbered' to the rifle? I have done lots of looking and have found that they were often "regimental numbered & rifle number numbered" the same as the stock disc. My GEW98 has all matching numbers all the way down to the screws and cleaning rod but I never looked at any of my bayonets to see if they were numbered and if the Germans were as obsessed with numbering every part as they did with their rifles?

I don't have any "Mauser history books" (I really need to get one) and I haven't found an answer in any of my searches. Armies being what they are, regardless of what country, there are "bean counters" and "pencil pushers" to keep track of equipment. Over time, especially under the conditions of WWI, equipment could easily be lost, stolen, damaged, etc. and the soldier end up with "mis-matched" numbers on his rifle and bayonet. I would guess that the regimental and gun # markings would prevail in regards to rifle and bayonet? i.e. if you were inspected and had gun # 126 you'd better have bayonet #126 rather than a matching serial number on the bayonet?

I'd certainly appreciate hearing from someone who could answer this question or who could provide a link to where I could find out . . sometimes it's the "little things" that you wonder about that drive you nuts looking for an answer!

I'd also appreciate any titles of good (i.e. informative) books on Mausers that I could pick up for reference.

Thanks!

leadhead
01-03-2015, 12:50 PM
I don't believe the Germans matched there bayonets to the rifles.......
Denny

Dutchman
01-04-2015, 06:34 AM
It looks like the answer is no, the bayonets for the Gewehr 98 were not numbered.

http://worldbayonets.com/Bayonet_Identification_Guide/Germany__Imperial_/Germany_Imperial_2.html

BruceB
01-04-2015, 11:28 AM
I had a brand-new Brazilian M1935, made at Mauser Werk Oberndorf.

It came with its test target, and a bayonet serial-numbered to match the rifle. This was undoubtedly a specification of the contract with Brazil.

Gorgeous rifle.... commercial blue, lovely walnut, 7x57, 29" barrel.... sold it when offered a 500% profit!

bedbugbilly
01-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Dutchman- that's one of the links I ran across where I picked up that they were most likely marked with regimental and rifle number markings but not serial numbered to the rifle. I have looked at mine many times but never paid attention to what the markings were so when I get home in the spring, I'll be checking them. It would be nice to be able to find the regimental markings - at least be able to learn a little about "where" they most likely were on the front.

BruceB - that Brazilian sounds like it was a beautiful set. Don't feel bad on the selling of it - over the years, I have done the same thing - found a nice rifle only to be "talked out of it". :-) I was never much interested in milsurp other than collecting and sold my collection a few years back. Now that I'm "hooked" on the reloading and the fun I'm having with my GEW98, the one I really regret getting rid of is the Winchester P14 that I had - it was "mint" all the way through. I bought it off of a guy walking around with it at a gun show that was looking to make some fast cash. Of course it was a few years ago but I paid the pricey sum of $65.00 for it. Like you, when I got "talked out of it", I did make a decent "profit" on it. Now I wish I had it to play with!

Thanks for the information all - greatly appreciated!

gew98
01-04-2015, 10:44 PM
The germans NEVER serialed bayonets to their rifles. Up until 1933 german military issue bayonets were not serialed blade to scabbard either. In the great war and before the german often unit marked their bayonets and the scabbards often got the same "regimental" as the bayonets. By late 1916 regimental/unit level property marking of bayonets became less common as directives from 1915 forbade unit marking such equipment for obvious reasons... but is was widely ignored/not enforced. As the war progressed you can find either the blade and or the scabbard or both regimental marked. So far there has been a rarity on 'faked' regimentals but as anything when value starts to go north ...beware and educated on such things or "pay " the price and get boinkered.
I feel bad you got rid of a nice Patt'14 as they are super hard to find in excelelnt matching unsanded trim. And man can they shoot !!!.

gew98
01-04-2015, 10:47 PM
I had a brand-new Brazilian M1935, made at Mauser Werk Oberndorf.

It came with its test target, and a bayonet serial-numbered to match the rifle. This was undoubtedly a specification of the contract with Brazil.

Gorgeous rifle.... commercial blue, lovely walnut, 7x57, 29" barrel.... sold it when offered a 500% profit!
The germans made many contract mausers with matched to the rifle serialed bayonets..to include alot of the portugese variants. But they did not go that insane route wiht their military rifles.

JWFilips
01-04-2015, 10:52 PM
gew98:
Great info...Thank you for posting!

gew98
01-04-2015, 10:54 PM
"butter knife" style - one plain back and one saw back. I never really looked at them that well but got to wondering . . .

Oh on this... the germans designated the bayonet as the Sg98/05 with two versions..plain blade and sawback.Well technically a third as they had a 'sawback removed version' later in the war, and 'we' nicknamed them "butcher" blades not butter knife.

bedbugbilly
01-05-2015, 12:38 AM
gew98 - thanks again for the great information - it's greatly appreciated.

When I get back to MI, I'll be checking the bayonets I have as far as regimental markings. All have scabbards as well. The bayonets I have I at least know are not "faked" as I know the provenance of them all the way back to the veteran that brought them home after the war. (I knew him when I was a kid). He brought back the long quill back and the sawbuck bayonet. The plain back "butcher knife" was brought back by another veteran that I knew well as a kid as well.

Thank you again for verifying the information and quenching my curiosity!

And yes . . I sure wish I had the P-14 back as well! :-) But, life moves on and if I get half the things done I want to before I leave this earth, I'll be lucky! I had a number of SMLE rifles as well and I let those go too. But, it gives me something to do to look and find another good milsurp to play with so that will keep me busy!