PDA

View Full Version : 38/357 D powder funnel to bell case mouth on the 9mm cases on a Dillon 550

ioon44
01-03-2015, 11:14 AM
I have been trying to prevent my lead boolits from swaging as it is being seated, my F powder funnel measured .351".
My solution is to cut off the bottom of the powder die to where it just will still hold the D powder funnel which is shorter than the F powder funnel. My powder die is contacting the shell pate.

The D powder funnel I use measures .3545" and still gives me good neck tension with the taper crimp die set to just take the bell out of the loaded round. My boolits are 6-2-92 alloy sized to .3573" and have Hi-Tek coating, pulled boolits still measure .357".
I also only size the first half of the 9mm case as the Dillon carbide seizer is pretty tight, this only works on cases that have fired out of my gun.

A better solution would be a custom made powder funnel.

LUBEDUDE
01-03-2015, 11:24 PM
I load only cast bullets. I've had no problems at all with my 550 and the standard 9mm conversion. I've loaded tens of thousands of 9's with no problems of shaving, crimping, or setback.

I've never had the reason to measure the powder funnel.

However, my 92/6/2 bullets are .356 .

dudel
01-04-2015, 05:06 PM
If you can live with seating and crimping in the same step, how about using the powder die to dump; but not flare. Then use a Lyman M die in the next station to put a boolit friendly flare, then the seat crimp die. This should work if your powder charge isn't near case maximum capacity. You'd be placing the boolit on the case at station 4.

I do a lot of 9mm (both cast and jacketed) on a Dillon 550b with the Dillon Powder dump. Haven't had a problem with the flare or boolit swaging.

r1kk1
01-04-2015, 08:18 PM
If you can live with seating and crimping in the same step, how about using the powder die to dump; but not flare. Then use a Lyman M die in the next station to put a boolit friendly flare, then the seat crimp die. This should work if your powder charge isn't near case maximum capacity. You'd be placing the boolit on the case at station 4.

To add, I've put a crimp die in a single stage. I may or may not have my wife helping me but if she does, I pass the cartridge to her to crimp and final inspection.

take care

r1kk1

Mike Kerr
01-05-2015, 02:04 AM
I just have not had to do that much in my flaring and seating process but if it is needed and works for you, more power to you.