PDA

View Full Version : new shorter handle for Classic turret

c1skout
01-03-2015, 12:54 AM
I picked up a length of 5/8 round stock from the hardware store today and built myself a short handle for when I don't need all the extra leverage of the factory arm.

I put the round stock in my vise and put a slight bend in it like the factory handle, but not quite as sharp of a bend. Then I cut it to size and drilled and tapped it for the old PTO knob that I had laying in my barn. You can't tell from the pic, but that is almost as high as I can mount it. I can drop it about another 2 1/2" before the lower end will hit my bench. I used it tonight to size about 400 45 boolits and appreciated the shorter stroke.

I've got enough left over that I may make an "ergo" style next, but I don't know if I'll like holding the handle sideways or not.

jmort
01-03-2015, 12:56 AM
To me, it looks better than the original. To you, it works better for short-stroke applications. Nice work.

dikman
01-03-2015, 01:55 AM
I too made a shorter handle first, and it worked fine. The latest handle from Lee also comes with a "roller" foam grip, like the "ergo". The beauty of the "ergo" style is that you can sit almost in front of the press, rather than to the side, and the handle feels quite natural as you don't move it down as far. You could fit a knob to the "ergo" if you wanted, instead of the roller-type, but I don't think it would be quite as comfortable. The "rolling" handle means you don't have to adjust your grip as you operate the lever.

Mike Kerr
01-03-2015, 11:48 PM
I like your "short handle" solution and especially the custom Ball on the handle. Looks cool.

sigshooter
01-04-2015, 07:14 PM
That PTO handle is the topper, a fitting "end".

That does it, I have five presses that are in need of a little customization.

Let the search begin.

HNY!

SIG

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-05-2015, 01:21 AM
A good mod that will speed up operation. Nice job!