PDA

View Full Version : refinishing stock on uberti 1885

Starvnhuntr
01-02-2015, 09:37 PM
I have a uberti 1885 with a very glossy stock. It is pretty as is but I prefer a nice rubbed oil finish. A friend of mine told me that easy off oven cleaner sprayed on the stock would remove the factory finish easily with no ill affects. I have removed finishes from guns and furniture in the past using comercial strippers and always found it to work but always kind of a pain the a##. has anyone heard of the oven cleaner method?

Kraschenbirn
01-02-2015, 10:29 PM
Yeah, I've heard of it but never tried it. When I refinished the stock on my Uberti Highwall, I used ZipStrip followed by a thorough scrubbing with (very!) hot water and a soft bristle brush...let dry overnite, inspect, and repeat as needed. After that, it was two (maybe three?) applications of MinWax stain followed by a half-dozen of Formby's Low-Gloss Tung Oil...rubbed out with #0000 steel wool between coats. That was two years and a thousand rounds ago...haven't needed to touch it up yet.

Teddo
01-04-2015, 11:10 PM
Oven cleaner is sodium hydroxide(lye) also used as a redwood deck cleaner, restorer and it will remove finishes but it's not near as strong as any remover that contains methelene (sp) chloride especially if the finish is of a epoxy or polyurethane type finish....Just my experience ...Teddo