PDA

View Full Version : Winchester WSF

ejcrist
01-02-2015, 05:42 PM
Anyone using Winchester WSF for 32 H&R, 44 Spl, or 45 Colt? I've been contemplating buying some locally but I haven't seen much written on it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gene

tazman
01-02-2015, 10:08 PM
The Hodgdon data site has load data for several boolit weights in the 32 H&R but not the other 2.

ejcrist
01-02-2015, 10:24 PM
The Hodgdon data site has load data for several boolit weights in the 32 H&R but not the other 2.

Thanks for the info. It looks like a pretty good powder. I think I might get a lb and give her a go.

Gene

Oreo
01-03-2015, 12:53 AM
Its really good stuff in 40sw. That's all I can say.

bobthenailer
01-03-2015, 11:53 AM
Ive had good results with WSF in the 9mm/38 super as well as bowling pin loads in the 45 ACP havent used it in any others

RobS
01-03-2015, 12:17 PM
WSF will work in those cartridges. You'll be on closer to the top side of pressures for the 44 special and 45 Colt loads. If you are looking at Ruger large frame 45 Colt loads then WSF is a nice mid-house load powder.

ejcrist
01-03-2015, 03:17 PM
Thanks Rob - that's good to know and what I was thinking. Whenever I talk to others about 44 Special and 45 Colt I always hear about the slow burning powders for warm loads like 2400 and H110 but the only mid range load I hear about is Unique. I'm using Rugers and a Freedom Arms so I'm ok loading up to the higher pressures. I like to try a variety of powders because oftentimes I'll get surprisingly good performance from stuff I don't normally associate with these cartridges. Since we're still in the powder drought it's good to know if less popular powders perform well so you can be a bit more flexible till things get back to normal, if ever they do.

tazman
01-03-2015, 03:35 PM
In a revolver(or single shot) a faster powder will always work. It just won't give the top velocities that slower powders will.
Lots of times the faster powder will provide an extremely accurate load at a more comfortable recoil.

Fluxed
01-04-2015, 12:06 AM
I use WSF in .45ACP with fine results. I suspect that your .44 Special would use similar charges as the .45ACP, the .45 Colt a bit more. Look at their website to see if there is data. If not, do an interpolation from Unique in a cartridge like the ACP and you chosen round, then adjust accordingly. In my book WSF seems to be something about like "spherical Unique" or "Unique that measures better".

I'm not out, but I would like to find some WSF -- there's not been any for sale for quite a while.