PDA

View Full Version : I Like Bullseye

Char-Gar
01-02-2015, 04:00 PM
Bulleye pistol powder has been around for 101 years (1913) and is far and away my most used powder for handgun rounds. It is not a magnum pistol powder by any means and like Brylcreem of days gone by "A little dab will do ya." This makes it economical and versatile, but you have to be careful with the powder charges. It only takes a few tenths of a grain to go from "safe" to "unsafe". So as with red-headed women, moderation is in order.

I have four Lyman 55 powder measures set up for my most used charges. For all other charges and powders I go with my RCBS Little Dandy and a set of rotors. The Lyman 55 operates very smoothly with Bullseye and once set and locked will throw charges of that weight until the big asteroid hits.

Here is how I set up;

3.0 grains for moderate loads in the 38 Special. I use this charge with wadcutter, round nose and semi-wadcutter in the 150 - 160 grain weight bullets. This is what I shoot in my old Smith and Wesson M & Ps.

3.5 grains for full strength 38 Special loads and 9mm. Again the same bullet weights and types in the 38 Special and 115 - 125 grains weight cast bullets in the 9mm.

4.5 grains for 200 to 240 grain bullets in the 45 ACP and 45 Auto Rim. This is also good for nominal weight bullets in the 357 Magnum at around 1,100 fps.

6.2 grains for standard velocity loads with 240 - 270 grain cast bullets in the 45 Colt and for 230 - 250 grain cast bullet in the 44 Magnum. This is not a magnum loading of course.

I will leave the endless load development and testing to others. Let just go shooting and these loads will do it, most likely as well as any other that has been labored over for weeks, months and even years.

It would seem that every whip-or-stitch some new powder comes on line looking to claim market share, but Bullseye just keeps plodding along, doing what it has always done which is power cast pistol bullets with accuracy.

Outpost75
01-02-2015, 04:13 PM
I agree! I use Bullseye in everything from the. 32 ACP through the. 375 H&H!

sundog
01-02-2015, 04:15 PM
My first hand load was early 70s - .38 Spl with a real home made 358311 and 3.0 BE. It worked then and still works now. Yes, I still keep BE on the shelf and still use it.

Thanks for prodding some memories, Charles. Wow, what a road traveled.

Silver Jack Hammer
01-02-2015, 04:16 PM
I've shot more Bullseye than any other powder, as measured by the number of rounds, not by pounds.

koehlerrk
01-02-2015, 04:18 PM
When I started loading 38s, 9mm, 40 S&W and the good old 45ACP, my eldest mentor told me to start and finish my load development with Bullseye. He said other powders might drive a bullet faster, but none will be as versatile, reliable, and economical as good old Bullseye.

Being a smart young reloader, I consulted my load manuals, bought a different powder for each cartridge, none of them Bullseye. Went shooting, and had issues. Leading, failure to feed, failure to eject, had all the normal problems. Called my mentor to ask his advice, and told me "I already told you what to do, ya dummy. Go do it." and he hung up the phone.

Off to the gun shop I went, to get a pound of Bullseye. Loaded some shells, went to the range, and the problems were just... gone.

Stopped by to see my old mentor, brought him a bottle of Makers' Mark as an apology for being young and stupid.

Lesson learned...

Char-Gar
01-02-2015, 04:27 PM
when i started loading 38s, 9mm, 40 s&w and the good old 45acp, my eldest mentor told me to start and finish my load development with bullseye. He said other powders might drive a bullet faster, but none will be as versatile, reliable, and economical as good old bullseye.

Being a smart young reloader, i consulted my load manuals, bought a different powder for each cartridge, none of them bullseye. Went shooting, and had issues. Leading, failure to feed, failure to eject, had all the normal problems. Called my mentor to ask his advice, and told me "i already told you what to do, ya dummy. Go do it." and he hung up the phone.

Off to the gun shop i went, to get a pound of bullseye. Loaded some shells, went to the range, and the problems were just... Gone.

Stopped by to see my old mentor, brought him a bottle of makers' mark as an apology for being young and stupid.

Lesson learned...

like!!!!!!

seaboltm
01-02-2015, 04:34 PM
For pistols I have three powders: BE, Unique, and H110. What else is needed? Rifles: IMR 4350 does 90% of the work around here.

fecmech
01-02-2015, 04:38 PM
I buy it in 4 lb. kegs only because dealers locally don't seem to carry 8 lb jugs. I try and keep at least two full 4 lbs. plus the one I'm working out of. Currently down to only one 4 lb. plus the loading one and am getting anxious. I could be approaching withdrawal symptoms soon! Great powder.

shoot-n-lead
01-02-2015, 04:51 PM
It is great versatile powder...I have used almost every caliber I load.

Treetop
01-02-2015, 07:14 PM
In the late 50s or early 60s, my Dad bought our/my first handgun, a 1917 Colt .45 ACP. It cost $5 at the, then new, Montgomery Wards store in SW Houston. They had two tables pulled together and there were dozens and dozens of both Colt and S&W 1917s stacked on them. All were $10 each, but my Dad dug around and found one that was out of time, so they sold it to him for half price! I remember Dad taking the gun apart, silver soldering something, then filing and trying, until the revolver was timed properly.

In one of the, then recent, Gun Digests which I collected and memorized, was an article named something like "Kitchen Table Handloading" or something like that. The author explained how to make a simple reloading set for loading round balls in handgun cartridges. For the .45 Auto he recommended a .22 long rifle case with a handle silver soldered on to the base, so you could dredge it through a container of Hercules Bullseye. Wads were cut with a steel WWII .45 ACP case from Manila paper and seated over the tiny powder charge by hand. I can't remember how we primed them or what we used for lube, but the balls were seated deep, flush with the end of the case.

I shot these regularly until my Dad gave me a brand new Lyman Spar-T press and two sets of dies for Christmas one year. One die set in .45 ACP and one in .30-06, so I could load for our brand new DCM 03-A3 also. I shot .30 caliber balls out of that Springfield, using the same charge of Bullseye, until I could afford a Lyman 55 and a scale. Great memories from a forever gone era... Tt.

FergusonTO35
01-02-2015, 07:35 PM
I love Bullseye in 9mm, unfortunately been seeing its picture on milk cartons the last two years. I'm down to 8 oz. or so and saving it strictly for defensive loads.

TCFAN
01-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Like everyone else I also use Bullseye for a lot of different cartridges.Right now I am using 2.5grs in a 218 Bee with a 40gr boolit for a 22LR duplication load.If you have Bullseye, Unique and 2400 you can load just about any cartridge you might have.Maybe not the best load but they will keep you shooting...........Terry

kenyerian
01-02-2015, 08:14 PM
Bullseye is one of my favorite powders also. I've been lucky enough to have found some during this powder shortage to keep me going. Now if I can score some 2400 and H110 I'll be set for a while.

18Bravo
01-02-2015, 09:15 PM
OK, I'll admit it. I'm a powder junkie. I like to try them all. However......if I were forced to select just ONE powder to use for the rest of my life, it would be Bullseye. I doubt that there are any other powder that offer the versatility, load data and reliability of this old warhorse.

JWFilips
01-02-2015, 09:31 PM
I shoot a lot of my ultra light rifle loads (.223 up to 8mm) with Bullseye Light loads are great fun, accurate, and easy on old shoulders!
Just wish it will become available soon My supply is getting low!

Scharfschuetze
01-02-2015, 09:40 PM
It's always been a favorite of mine. Even the new kids on the block like Tight Group just can't quite compete with it.

Welcome to the forum 18 Bravo. Your user name is my favorite MOS, although I retired an 18 Zulu. There's a couple other SF 'ers here.

USSR
01-02-2015, 09:51 PM
Went on a powder hunt today. Left NY and went just across the PA border to a new shooting supply store in the middle of nowhere. Was looking for a fast handgun powder consisting of any of the following: 700X, Red Dot, W231/HP38, or Bullseye. They didn't have any of the first 3, but lo and behold, they had Bullseye. Price was even cheaper than Widener's price ($17.99#), so I bought 5 pounds. This will now replace the 700X I have been using for .380 ACP, 9mm, .38 Spl, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt cast bullet loads. I am a happy camper.

Don

JWFilips
01-02-2015, 10:01 PM
Went on a powder hunt today. Left NY and went just across the PA border to a new shooting supply store in the middle of nowhere. Was looking for a fast handgun powder consisting of any of the following: 700X, Red Dot, W231/HP38, or Bullseye. They didn't have any of the first 3, but lo and behold, they had Bullseye. Price was even cheaper than Widener's price ($17.99#), so I bought 5 pounds. This will now replace the 700X I have been using for .380 ACP, 9mm, .38 Spl, .45 ACP, and .45 Colt cast bullet loads. I am a happy camper.

Don

OK OK What part of the border? NE I hope

tazman
01-02-2015, 10:03 PM
Bulleye pistol powder has been around for 101 years (1913) and is far and away my most used powder for handgun rounds. It is not a magnum pistol powder by any means and like Brylcreem of days gone by "A little dab will do ya." This makes it economical and versatile, but you have to be careful with the powder charges. It only takes a few tenths of a grain to go from "safe" to "unsafe". So as with red-headed women, moderation is in order.

I have four Lyman 55 powder measures set up for my most used charges. For all other charges and powders I go with my RCBS Little Dandy and a set of rotors. The Lyman 55 operates very smoothly with Bullseye and once set and locked will throw charges of that weight until the big asteroid hits.

Here is how I set up;

3.0 grains for moderate loads in the 38 Special. I use this charge with wadcutter, round nose and semi-wadcutter in the 150 - 160 grain weight bullets. This is what I shoot in my old Smith and Wesson M & Ps.

3.5 grains for full strength 38 Special loads and 9mm. Again the same bullet weights and types in the 38 Special and 115 - 125 grains weight cast bullets in the 9mm.

4.5 grains for 200 to 240 grain bullets in the 45 ACP and 45 Auto Rim. This is also good for nominal weight bullets in the 357 Magnum at around 1,100 fps.

6.2 grains for standard velocity loads with 240 - 270 grain cast bullets in the 45 Colt and for 230 - 250 grain cast bullet in the 44 Magnum. This is not a magnum loading of course.

I will leave the endless load development and testing to others. Let just go shooting and these loads will do it, most likely as well as any other that has been labored over for weeks, months and even years.

It would seem that every whip-or-stitch some new powder comes on line looking to claim market share, but Bullseye just keeps plodding along, doing what it has always done which is power cast pistol bullets with accuracy.

I don't think I could agree with you any more. Well said.

kevmc
01-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Bullseye...Unique...2400....
The holy trinity of gunpowder!!!

koehlerrk
01-02-2015, 10:47 PM

Don

OK, so are you talking about the new Beikirchs in Elkland PA? Hasn't been there 6 months yet... If that's the one, I work in Corning NY. So, are we close, or not? Let me know, either here or by PM.

telebasher
01-02-2015, 11:26 PM
Bullseye...Unique...2400....
The holy trinity of gunpowder!!!

Amen to that!

bedbugbilly
01-02-2015, 11:54 PM
Well said! I love Bulls Eye and use it in all my pistol cartridges. I try to keep some on hand depending on the supply at the LGS. I do have Red Dot, Unique and 700X on hand "just in case" but if I can find it and keep it on my shelf - the others rarely get used.

As far as BE going a "long way" - I like loading and shooting 38 Colt Shorts (a nice plinking roundup of my 3" Smith Model 36) - using 1.8 gr. of BE under a Lyman/Ideal 358242 120 grain RN makes a pound of BE go a looooooong waaaaaay!

Horace
01-03-2015, 12:10 AM
''Bullseye...Unique...2400....
The holy trinity of gunpowder!!! ''

My favorites!

Horace

Horace
01-03-2015, 12:12 AM
.....and Red Dot....IMR 4759....

Horace

snoopy
01-03-2015, 07:25 AM
Amen on the bullseye, one of the first powders I found after starting to reload with this shortage in full swing. Very economical for 38s

StrawHat
01-03-2015, 07:59 AM
I don't even know how much Bullseye I have shot since I started shooting. I still have some left but need more. I load it mostly for the 38 Special but have used it in others. Bullseye, Unique and 2400 were my first three and remain my mainstays for smokeless stuff.

ballistim
01-03-2015, 08:15 AM
I just recently picked up my 8lbs. of Bullseye that I ordered 2 years ago from my LGS, was down to my last pound before that. Posted when I got it and asked for favorite loads with Bullseye & 45acp was the clear cut winner.

rintinglen
01-03-2015, 10:38 AM
Well, Laflin and Rand were selling Bullseye 114 years ago, not 103, but other than that, I find no flaw in Chargar's thesis. Bullseye is one of the best powders for target loads ever made. I weren't there, but I've read that every round of 45 ACP fired by a Doughboy or GI in both World Wars was loaded with it. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of matches have been won with cartridges loaded with it. Now I've moved to WW-231 for most of the same purposes, but I still have a bottle or two on standby, just in case. It's a dandy! Though these days, you can't often find it, buy it if you do. It will not disappoint.

prs
01-03-2015, 11:15 AM
I've been trying to secure a supply of Bullseye for several years. Several weeks ago Cabelas was selling it at high prices and I bit the boolit and purchased the max they would ship on one hazmat. So what I had been doing with 700X and Red Dot and Tight Group I am doing as well or better with Bullseye. As it turns-out, my charges for 45ACP 200gr 68 SWC are spot on with what CharGar has settled upon. I expected it to shoot dirt, being an ages-old recipe, but it does not. Only a wisp of smoke and the gun stays clean when using coated boolits instead of lobe. Now, if I only had one powder, it would be Unique as it serves my 16ga to perfection and everything else I need well enough. But, glad we do have so much choice.

prs
prs

Michael J. Spangler
01-03-2015, 11:33 AM
i love bullseye.
super versatile from light loads to semi warm loads. it can be used in so many cartridges.
i never saw the need to run 4.7 grains of unique in a 38 cases with a 158 bullet when i can get the same velocity of out 3.5 grains of bullseye.
maybe i'm just cheap.
here's to another 101 years

18Bravo
01-03-2015, 12:33 PM
It's always been a favorite of mine. Even the new kids on the block like Tight Group just can't quite compete with it.

Welcome to the forum 18 Bravo. Your user name is my favorite MOS, although I retired an 18 Zulu. There's a couple other SF 'ers here.

Scharfschuetz,
Well met and welcome home. I was never smart enough for operations so had to stick with weapons! Back in the day, my MOS was 11B4S/11C4S but have adopted the newer equivalent 18 Bravo to keep things simple. Yes, I've noticed a few other SF'ers on this forum. It was one of the contributing factors in my decision to join. Thanks for the welcome!

De oppresso liber

Char-Gar
01-03-2015, 01:01 PM
Well, Laflin and Rand were selling Bullseye 114 years ago, not 103, but other than that, I find no flaw in Chargar's thesis. Bullseye is one of the best powders for target loads ever made. I weren't there, but I've read that every round of 45 ACP fired by a Doughboy or GI in both World Wars was loaded with it. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of matches have been won with cartridges loaded with it. Now I've moved to WW-231 for most of the same purposes, but I still have a bottle or two on standby, just in case. It's a dandy! Though these days, you can't often find it, buy it if you do. It will not disappoint.

The 1913 date is Hercules/Alliant. I have used quite a bit of 231 over the years, but have never found it superior to Bullseye so I stick with my old favorite. I am not fickle when it comes to either powder or much of anything else. When I find something that works for me, I tend to stick with it. Some folks call that being in a rut, but I prefer to think of it as tradition. :-)

Many of the younger set of reloaders and shooters think that anything more than a few years old just can't be of any value. They hold the theory, that new must be better or else why would it have been made? The mere fact that somebody made a much newer powder, is strong proof that the older powders were not up to snuff. These folks are raw meat for the marketers of the world.

However, many folks must still think Bulleye is a good think to have, as proved by the fact that is is so hard to come by these days.

Scharfschuetze
01-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Scharfschuetz,
Well met and welcome home. I was never smart enough for operations so had to stick with weapons! Back in the day, my MOS was 11B4S/11C4S but have adopted the newer equivalent 18 Bravo to keep things simple. Yes, I've noticed a few other SF'ers on this forum. It was one of the contributing factors in my decision to join. Thanks for the welcome!

You're an old timer! I used to be an 11C3S as well as 11B4S and 11F4S before they gave SF its own branch and we all became 18 series troopers.

De oppresso liber!

And to stay on topic, while I do use 231 and Tightgroup in certain applications, I could just as well use Bullseye and not notice much difference, whether in the 32 S&W or the 45/70.

gunoil
01-03-2015, 03:34 PM
Bullseye popped up here, have not seen in a while. l have some now. its great.

USSR
01-03-2015, 03:55 PM
What gets me is, you see guys complain about this old powder or that old powder being "dirty", and they go on and on about that, and I finally have to ask them, "so, how's the accuracy?", to which they have no answer.:groner:

Don

18Bravo
01-03-2015, 06:21 PM
What gets me is, you see guys complain about this old powder or that old powder being "dirty", and they go on and on about that, and I finally have to ask them, "so, how's the accuracy?", to which they have no answer.:groner:

Don

Two weeks ago, on a whim, I loaded 100 rounds of 148 DEWC in .38 Special. This was broken down in to ten rounds each of ten different powders. The goal was to find out which powder performed best in regards to accuracy. The powders were CFE Pistol, 231, HP38, Trail Boss, Red Dot, Bullseye, S1000, A#5, WSF and Power Pistol. To keep things fair all loads were exactly charged half way between published minimum and maximum. When the smoke cleared (pun intended) Bullseye had significantly outperformed the other powders. Five shot groups fired at ten yards off hand where, on the average, .325 inches better than the next closest competitor Trail Boss. While this was not a controlled scientific test taking all variables into consideration it was enough to convince me that Bullseye was still the "go to" powder for accurate WC shooting.

Char-Gar
01-03-2015, 06:22 PM

Don

Don, the accuracy of handgun loads with Bullseye powder is outstanding/excellent and great. It was the go to powder for Bullseye competition shooters for many generations and has been tested over and over again. There may be some powders that equal it in accuracy, but none have been demonstrated as better.

I am not one to complain about Bullseye or any powder being "dirty". I wash my hands and clean my guns as I have done for over a half century. The dirty powder complaint seems to be of fairly recent origin, from shooters who were not trained to clean their weapons after each firings. You won't find us old guys with that issue. I find the dirty powder complaints to be utterly without substance or merit.

Correct cleaning will not harm any weapon, nor reduce it's longevity. Folks can mess up anything if they are careless or don't pay attention to what they are doing. There are folks who can break an anvil.

Catshooter
01-04-2015, 05:29 AM
Char-Gar,

You're an old fuddy-duddy! Next thing you'll be telling us that you still use the Lyman 310 dies and tools.

Oh wait . . .

:)

Cat

tazman
01-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Don, the accuracy of handgun loads with Bullseye powder is outstanding/excellent and great. It was the go to powder for Bullseye competition shooters for many generations and has been tested over and over again. There may be some powders that equal it in accuracy, but none have been demonstrated as better.

I am not one to complain about Bullseye or any powder being "dirty". I wash my hands and clean my guns as I have done for over a half century. The dirty powder complaint seems to be of fairly recent origin, from shooters who were not trained to clean their weapons after each firings. You won't find us old guys with that issue. I find the dirty powder complaints to be utterly without substance or merit.

Correct cleaning will not harm any weapon, nor reduce it's longevity. Folks can mess up anything if they are careless or don't pay attention to what they are doing. There are folks who can break an anvil.

All true. There are some powders in use that burn cleaner and leave considerably less residue than Bullseye does. They don't improve on the accuracy though. I will always trade having to clean my gun(which I will do anyway) for better accuracy.

Char-Gar
01-04-2015, 01:04 PM
Char-Gar,

You're an old fuddy-duddy! Next thing you'll be telling us that you still use the Lyman 310 dies and tools.

Oh wait . . .

Cat

I plead guilty as charged your Honor. I am indeed a retro-reloader.

c1skout
01-04-2015, 01:49 PM
I still haven't tried Bullseye in 45. I've been using nothing else in 38 for a couple years though.

jonp
01-04-2015, 01:55 PM
I've got a 4lb jug of Bullseye I've had for quite some time. Gave some to someone else and still have a few lbs of it. I just don't use it and can't see it doing anything that other powder does for me. Not a fan of it.

Red Dot/Promo, Unique and H110/W296 pretty much covers everything for me.

USSR
01-04-2015, 06:05 PM
OK OK What part of the border? NE I hope

Nope, mid-state. Elkland to be exact.

Don

Catshooter
01-05-2015, 03:17 AM

Cat

Wizzap
01-05-2015, 09:27 AM
I've read good stuff about Bullseye I caught it in stock at Basspro.com had shipped site to store for free then had them price match Midway. Still have not had time to use it but cant wait to

rogerstg
01-05-2015, 09:52 AM
I use Titegroup. Load data is very similar to Bullseye, usually within .1gr, burns cleaner, meters well and most important; produces accurate loads and it's available to me where Bullseye generally is not.
I've found no difference in accuracy from Bullseye with properly developed handgun loads.

Clark
01-05-2015, 03:03 PM
have 40+ pounds. will die befor all used up

I have than I will ever need of everything except nookie.

Petrol & Powder
01-09-2015, 10:16 AM
Bullseye is a very useful powder. I've burned my share of it and I still have some; wish I could find more.
It excels in 38 Special with wadcutters and it's not bad with SWC. I found other powders that I liked better in other cartridges but BE clearly has a wide range of applications. If I was limited to only one pistol powder, Bullseye would be on my short list of candidates along with WW-231, Unique.

Char-Gar
01-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Bullseye is a very useful powder. I've burned my share of it and I still have some; wish I could find more.
It excels in 38 Special with wadcutters and it's not bad with SWC. I found other powders that I liked better in other cartridges but BE clearly has a wide range of applications. If I was limited to only one pistol powder, Bullseye would be on my short list of candidates along with WW-231, Unique.

I only buy three powders these days and buy them in bulk. They are the old Hercules now Alliant Bulleye, Unique and 2400. This covers 100% of my needs. I no longer shoot full snort jacketed rifle loads, so have no need for some of the excellent medium and slow burning rifle powders.

I do keep a Garand rifle, ready to go with 500 rounds in clips which are charged with USGI M2 and M2AP ball ammo. I have loaded for the Garand, but no longer do. I only keep the Garand for perimeter defense against the local Pendejos. If the Cavalry doesn't arrive until after the 500 rounds are gone, I still have shotguns, handguns and lots of ammo for them.

.30Calibre
01-09-2015, 12:09 PM
...defense against the local Pendejos.

lol. :lol: What do these look like? And do you need a special permit to hunt them?

Just to stay on topic:
30 Mauser (7.63x25mm)
- Bullseye 4.2gr, 85gr Sierra Sports Master 0.308dia JSP, Win SPP, COAL 1.340"; notes: light duty; action cycles
- Bullseye 4.5gr, 86 FMJ, velocity 1160fps; notes: Barnes, Cartridges of the World 12th Ed., p.282

dragon813gt
01-09-2015, 12:30 PM
I bought my first pound of it last weekend. No plan to use it in pistols. Plan to use it for low power rifle loads. There are published loads which is why I bought it. I've been using W231 but just wanted to see how it works.

Boolit_Head
01-09-2015, 03:36 PM
After reading this thread all I have this tune running through my head incessantly...

I like bullseye and I can not lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when a gun walks in with an itty bitty charge
And a round thing in your face
You get sprung
Wanna pull up tough
'cause you notice that bullseye was stuffed
Deep in the holster she's wearing
I'm hooked and I can't stop staring
Oh, baby I wanna get with ya
And take your picture
My homeboys tried to warn me
But that bullseye you got
Make Me so horney
Ooh, case of bullseye
You say you wanna get in my benz
Well use me use me 'cause you aint that average groupie

.30Calibre
01-09-2015, 03:55 PM

Petrol & Powder
01-10-2015, 12:53 AM
I only buy three powders these days and buy them in bulk. They are the old Hercules now Alliant Bulleye, Unique and 2400. This covers 100% of my needs. I no longer shoot full snort jacketed rifle loads, so have no need for some of the excellent medium and slow burning rifle powders.

I do keep a Garand rifle, ready to go with 500 rounds in clips which are charged with USGI M2 and M2AP ball ammo. I have loaded for the Garand, but no longer do. I only keep the Garand for perimeter defense against the local Pendejos. If the Cavalry doesn't arrive until after the 500 rounds are gone, I still have shotguns, handguns and lots of ammo for them.

In my quest to explore handloading of rifle/shotgun/handguns cartridges over the years I went through a LOT of different powders. Then I started casting round balls for cap & ball revolvers. That opened up a whole new world and I decided to start casting for metallic handgun cartridges......I was pretty much done for by that point and hopelessly addicted ;) !!!!
Anyway.....after many years of handloading and a LOT of powders, I've settled on just a few powders.
2F & 3F black powder for things in that realm.

IMR4895 for .308 rifle

WSF for 9mm Luger (Bullseye is a close second choice)

WW231 was my powder of choice for SWC in 38 Special and Bullseye for Wadcutters in 38 Spl. These days I use Hodgdon CFE Pistol in place of 231. I used a lot of different powders for .357 mag and quite frankly, I'll stick with 38 Special.

In the bigger bore, straight wall revolver world; I use Unique for mid-range stuff and H110 for the Very rare full power stuff. Almost ALL of my 44 loads are mid-range loads. If you can't get it done with a 240-260gr LSWC travelling at 900-1000fps - GO HOME!!

I shot a lot of 45 Colt but never warmed up to that cartridge. I LOVED the 44 Special but drifted away from it before coming back to the 44 magnum.

I shot a lot of 45 ACP using Bullseye, 231 and WSF. Mostly jacketed and some commercial lead. They all worked about the same with WSF being the cleanest and the 231 the most consistent. (The most consistent string I ever shot over a chronograph was 230gr cast lead with WW231 powder) Bullseye seemed to be in the middle.

I've burned a lot of Unique, some WAP and more than my share of AA#2, #5 & #7. I've burned just about every other brand of pistol/shotgun powder out there but I always came back to: 231, WSF, Bullseye & Unique.

I've always wanted powders that were versatile but would meter well through a powder measure. Unfortunately the ball powders like 231 and H110 meter the best and the flake powders seem to be the most versatile.

For Handguns, I could get by with Bullseye and Unique. (I'd whine a lot but I could do it).
If I REALLY had to, I could get by with just Bullseye and that wouldn't be too bad.

I must agree with Char-Gar; Bullseye and Unique will get the job done and some slightly slower pistol powder(2400 or H110) will round out that category nicely for the magnums. I'm glad we have a lot to choose from but sometimes simple is a good thing!

StrawHat
01-10-2015, 07:08 AM
...I must agree with Char-Gar; ...

Seems to be the consensus!

duckey
01-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Outpost75I to like bullseye, haven't been able to find any for a while now. I am interested in its use with 375 H&H as I am starting to reload this cal now.