PDA

View Full Version : 38-44 load with 358429 OAL problem ?

boatbum101
01-02-2015, 03:42 PM
When seating / crimping this bullet in a 38 special case I'm only getting 1.500" oal . Lyman shows 1.537" for this combo . I'm seating & roll crimping @ bullet crimp groove . Should I just continue as is & reduce charge weights working up load until I see pressure signs ? My point is max charge for this load is 13.5grs 2400 but with a deeper seating reducing case capacity I'm sure pressure will be increased . I'm thinking if I stay with current seating / crimping it would be prudent to reduce to say 11.5grs & work up .2 grs at a time . I'd originally thought that 12.5grs would be a good start .The only way I see to get Lyman's OAL would be seat to 1.537" & taper crimp . I'm not sure this would work with the loads I'm looking for as I've been told a firm roll crimp . I've no problem meeting Lyman OAL of 1.555" in a 357 case . What would you do in this situation ?

Nueces
01-02-2015, 03:58 PM
I've seen nose lengths vary for that design, especially now that so many custom makers have produced their own versions. My old Lyman 358431 hollow base has such a short nose. It's seating depth that you are concerned about, as that determines powder space, so, with a short nose, you may be fine as is.

I think you could start at 12.5 grains right off. Here is a case that cries out for loading at the range. You could complete load development (for pressure, anyway) with just a few rounds.

boatbum101
01-02-2015, 04:48 PM
Thanks for your reply . I'd previously always used the 358156GC crimped in the bottom groove for these type loads & had never ran into this before . Gun is a pre Model 23 S&W so it'll handle pressure reasonably well . I however don't want to push things too far . My range is rather primitive with no extras . I bring a folding card table & lawn chair . Not really a place where you can load .