PDA

View Full Version : hallicrafters s-38

rmatchell
01-02-2015, 12:36 AM
So the wife asked me to run her to a thrift shop tonight and while I was waiting I found a hallicrafters s-38 on the shelf. Now I dont know anything about old radios and it looked rough but for 15 bucks I figured it could be an interesting project. I plugged it in and nothing happens but as I said I know nothing I could be doing something wrong. Does anybody know anything about these radios?

polara426sh
01-02-2015, 01:16 AM
Check the fuse, might be blown. Could be a bad speaker or bad tube(s). If the caps in the radio are still paper ones, they need to be replaced. The old style paper in oil capacitors will eventually leak out and will not provide the proper capacitance. It probably also needs a good spray down with some electronics cleaner.

rmatchell
01-02-2015, 01:20 AM
Ill have to check the fuse because I cant tell if anything is getting to the tubes. At least if my memory serves me I should hear something right?

rmatchell
01-02-2015, 01:27 AM
Yep just pulled the bottom cover off and they are paper for sure

rmatchell
01-02-2015, 01:41 AM

shoot-n-lead
01-02-2015, 01:46 AM
Cool find.

I had a SX110 that used to I listened to the ground invasion of Iraq during the first Gulf War. Mercenaries were all over that battlefield broadcasting and you got a much different perspective than was being given on cable news.

The old radio was given to me...all I had to buy was a dipole antenna and I was ready to go. Listened to the world on it for years until I gave it away. I wish I had a receiver now as I kinda miss listening...

polara426sh
01-02-2015, 08:35 AM
You should be able to at least hear some noise when you turn it on if the fuse isn't blown, also the tubes should glow if they have power.

Looking closer at the picture, I see it has a switch for the speaker. You won't hear anything if that is switched off.

Char-Gar
01-02-2015, 12:22 PM
I bought one of those radios used in 1956 when I was 14 years old. For an antenna I just hooked the wire to a wire window screen we used in those days. My older sister had a boyfriend that was the radio operator on a Coast Guard Cutter and he ran me an antenna under the eves of the house and it worked much better.

I spent many hours listening to that old radio late at night when the reception really picked up.

You will note the speaker is located on top with the grill on top of the radio. Lots of dust and grit could fall into the speaker causing it to fail. I was advised to keep it covered when not in use. I never used it, preferring a set of earphone which plugged in. The reception was much clearer with the earphones anyway.

bangerjim
01-02-2015, 01:19 PM
An old warhorse! The tubes should light up and get hot. You will probably hear a 60 Hz hum thru the speaker due to the decaying capacitors in the power supply section. Those caps will probably be in a silver metal can. All the other isolation caps are probably oil impregnated paper and fail regularly, being of that age.

If no hum, could be a bad tube(s). Finding them today could be a search! You will have to find a vintage electronics collector probably. I played with these radios when a kid back in the 60's, but tubes were readily available, even at drusgstores and grocery stores! Many on here will remember the tube tester stands in stores! I had reagular orders to Allied Electronics, Olsen Electronics, and Burstein/Applebee (ghosts from the past!) Even had 3 local parts sellers, since a lot of radio/TV shops in the area did component level repairs on a daily basis. For you youngsters, yes, you could ACTUALLY fix radios and TV's at home!!!!!!! None of this double-sided PC board, IC, wave-soldered garbage then. Motorola's "works in a drawer" TV's started the demise of home repairmen.

Good luck getiing that beaste working. Look at possibly spending many more times what you paid for it.

banger

rmatchell
01-02-2015, 01:35 PM
I got it apart this morning and it was a lil scary packed full of webs, spider eggs, and an inch of dust. everything looks to be there just isnt getting power to the tubes from what I can tell. Still need to remember where my multimeter went though. I guess Ill blow it out and check for a fuse first.

rmatchell
01-02-2015, 01:59 PM
oh and if it needs new tubes ebay has the set of all 5 for 35 so not to bad.

willie_pete
01-02-2015, 05:55 PM
I bet that's the last time she will ask you to take her to the thrift store. :bigsmyl2:

WP

rmatchell
01-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Hope not I find pewter every now and then.

Reg
01-03-2015, 12:08 AM
Hope you get the old gal going again. Love the old radios. As a kid we lived everywhere it seems. Most places didn't have TV yet so a radio was a open door to the rest of the world. I still pick up one of the older ones from time to time and usually spend far more than it's worth to get it going again. Darn things are all over the house and I have been known to give them to family members as long as I know they will actually listen to them.
Best AM DX ? CBCK Dawson Creek. Picked it up the end of a corn patch waiting to pick up some pheasant hunters late one afternoon.
Can't beat Coast to Coast AM but have to admit it was better with Art Bell at the controls.

rmatchell
01-03-2015, 01:08 AM
Im on the fence on if im going to fix it or not. This is my first radio and part of me wants to get it going but I still have a ton to learn and I looked on ebay and for less than a hundred bucks I can get one that is restored and working like new.

Boogieman
01-03-2015, 01:32 AM
I had a S38C back in the 1950's . they had an ac/dc power supply the tube filiments are wired in series like the old Christmas tree lights ,if one burns out they all go dead. If yours don't light up the problem may only one bad tube. The power supply tube is the one that blows most often

bangerjim
01-03-2015, 12:56 PM
If the tubes have numbers like 6 and 12 and 25 and 50 on them, you have a radio that is powered directly by line voltage. NOT A POWER TRANSFORMER (that big metal hunk with all the wired coming out of it). One tube will shut the thing down. If you add up all the tube numbers, they will equal ~120v becaue they are in series. That was a real cheap way back in the day to get away from an expensive power supply transformer.

Another problem with those type of radios is........the "ground" could be the hot side of the power cord!!!!!! Depends on which way you plug in the cord to the outlets! I remember VERY well getting a sharp tingle when touching the case of one of those old radios when I was grounded thru something else. Not fun. But safety in those days was not even considered. Only $$.

Good luck if you decide to retore it. If you really want one, seriously consider that $100 restored unit! If you are not well versed in vintage radio electronics, you may have a very steep (and expensive) learning curve fixing that junker.

Donate it back and take a $40 tax deduction as an antique!

banger

rmatchell
01-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Im thinking about giving it to a member who knows his way around the technology. I like the idea of learning more about the radios but dont think this is a good way to start.

I took a electronics class in school but that was 13 or 14 years ago. I have decided that I cant solider on modern boards if my life depended on it, but with these older circuits I can do just fine. My eyes can see the connections.

N4AUD
01-03-2015, 03:31 PM
Recap it. They make kits with every capacitor you'll need and there are websites devoted to the S38. I have one I got a few years ago. Be VERY careful with this radio as there is a distinct electrocution danger with them and their metal ungrounded case.

bangerjim
01-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Like said, it can bite you! N4AUD is correct. To prevent that, get a neon bulb type voltage tester and touch it to the case and the other end to a ground. If the bulb lights, reverse the line cord plug in the outlet! Mark the plug for the WiDER spade so you will always plug it in the same way. Some older radios switched BOTH sides of the power, so you need to turn it on.

If you do buy caps, make sure they are rated at the votage marked on the older caps. OR make sure they are all at lease 200V minimum rated. Remember today many caps sets are for solid state stuff and have ratings under 50 VDC.

Good luck.

banger

rmatchell
01-06-2015, 12:04 AM
How do I test the tubes? I am starting to get the itch to get going on this project but still have a ton to learn

N4AUD
01-06-2015, 12:26 AM
That's going to be tough unless you can find someone with a tube tester. The caps are more likely to go bad than the tubes though.

Frank46
01-06-2015, 12:47 AM
I had a Hammerlund HQ 110 for years. Picked up all sorts of stuff. One turned it on and bang it went. Took it to a tv and radio shop and the guy said it would take more to fix it than it was worth. Simple copper wire antenna from my bedroom with an insulator attached to the school yard fence about 35' away. Frank

rmatchell
01-06-2015, 01:29 AM
Right now I havent done anything but clean it up. Im going to take a bunch a pictures and start taking it apart farther. The chassis is rusty so im guessing that Ill have to sand blast it then pant it for good measure. Then start putting it all back together replacing all caps and most likely the wires also.

bangerjim
01-06-2015, 01:57 PM
Right now I havent done anything but clean it up. Im going to take a bunch a pictures and start taking it apart farther. The chassis is rusty so im guessing that Ill have to sand blast it then pant it for good measure. Then start putting it all back together replacing all caps and most likely the wires also.

Have you even turned it on yet??????????????????? That test will tell a WHOLE lot about what you need to replace!!!

If you are talking about taking it TOTALLY apart and sandblasting the chassis.............you ARE gonna need a schematic, brother! I would no even attempt what you are talking about without a good schematic in hand!!!!!!!!!!!! And I am very good with electronics.

Testing tubes is a thing of the dim past. I kept my old tube tester and have it stored way, but finding someone to do it locally will be a herculean task, no doubt. Good luck on that one. Tubes are probably OK if they light up. But you need to turn it on to find out!

If I were you, I would just replace the caps with like rated ones and test it. If the tubes ALL light up, they are probably good. Do not rip all the wires, sockets, mountings, pots, etc out clean the chassis!!!!! A little mouse pee-rust and spider droppings will not hurt the function. Sandblast the CASE if you want and repaint it.

The caps may (with any luck) still be good. I have seen those old paper/wax boys last 30-50 years! I have a cap tester and they were still OK!

And wires do not normally go bad! You will need a good 40-60 watt pencil soldering iron and a solder sucker to de-solder stuff.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!

banger

rmatchell
01-06-2015, 03:33 PM
I turned it on and now power past the first tube. I also have a schematic and have taken pictures of every connection. While taking it all the way down does seem like alot of work I figure if Im going to do it I should do it right. Although im sure along the way I will have regrets until I turn it on and its 100% again.

Big Rack
01-06-2015, 04:03 PM
There are a lot of resources on the web.
Check the internet for a local ham radio club and attend a meeting I think ypu'll find someone with a tube tester.
I suppose if you can find a pinout of the tubes you could check the filaments for continuity.
Check the web for a company called Antique Electronics Supply, neat place.

salpal48
01-06-2015, 04:25 PM
I have an Atwater Kent Console appox 1933 . It was rewired and all tubes were working. But still no voice. A friend of mine who is into Radio's told me you need a Hard wired Antenna . The one That used to mount to your Roof. Since it is not a Transistor That was the only way to get it to work. I.m not about to go up and start Mounting stuff up there
Sal

bangerjim
01-06-2015, 05:45 PM
So you are saying only the 1st tube (model number, please) light up?????????? That is very strange. What is your point of reference for FIRST TUBE?

Hope you have a DMM to check filament voltages and continuity. If you have a schematic, you will be able to see which pins on the tubes are the filament. Check them for continuity OUT of the socket.

Is this a transformer powered radio? Look on the schematic. Better yet, take a picture of the schematic with you smart phone (hi rez, please) and post it on here!

banger

Bonz
01-06-2015, 05:49 PM

One of my aunts was a supervisor in the plant in Illinois. She died in her 40's but your photo brought back some great memories. Thanks for sharing

bangerjim
01-06-2015, 05:50 PM
I have an Atwater Kent Console appox 1933 . It was rewired and all tubes were working. But still no voice. A friend of mine who is into Radio's told me you need a Hard wired Antenna . The one That used to mount to your Roof. Since it is not a Transistor That was the only way to get it to work. I.m not about to go up and start Mounting stuff up there
Sal

Yes the old guys need an antenna. A piece of wire 10 feet long stretched out in the room will work......sort of....depends on your location to the stations. But a BIG MASSIVE multi gang wire antenna is what they used to use. Kinda like a spider web from a central pole(s) outside your house. In town, you did not need so much. But "out on the farm", they had monstrous antennas to get the signals from "distant" lands.

Ahhhhhh yes, the blue flash of sparks.....the gentle whiff of ozone! Brings back memories of messing with old radios in my parent's basement.

banger

rmatchell
01-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Well here is what im working with.

bangerjim
01-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Your BIGGEST (!!) problems may lie in the variable air plate tuning capacitors. Those look to have gobs of dirt in there. Dirt can be blown out, but the plates are soft aluminum and are very subject to corrosion from animal/instect waste. It will be very hard to find exact ones of those!!!!!! And they are critical to the dial calibrations for tuning!

The bottom looks normal for an old radio. Hand wired, point to point, old paper/wax caps, and cloth covered rubber wiring. This IS a line operated set as we discussed earlier. The big yellow paper tube underneath is the multi-section power supply filter cap and will more than likely be shot and will cause tons of 60 Hz hum...........if the radio even does work.

Being line operated (no big black power transformer in sight) ALL the tubes will light up or NONE of them will light up, as the filaments are hooked in series. See my earlier post. Most tubes appear to be standard old octal socket style and the filaments are normally pins 4 & 5. Pull them and check with your DMM that you have a circuit with the ohm meter setting.

The two Al cans on top are IF/RF tuning transformers. The small transformer on the left middle is the audio out put transformer that drives the speaker and phones.

The rotary band selection switches will also be in sorry shape due to corrosion and oxidation. Again VERY difficult to replace in-kind. It appears there are 2 metal tubes and the rest are glass. Standard fare for the timeframe back when this thing was made.

LOTS of good luck on this one! If it was mine, I would play taps and give it a nice burial in the backyard. I have restored old electroincs in the past and you do have a daunting task ahead of you, my friend. The rust on the chassis is NOT your big problem. Again, I would suggest buying the restored one on Ebay for $100 and redonate this thing and take a tax deduction for it.

bangerjim

rmatchell
01-08-2015, 12:09 AM
Well dang. I guess ill have to take it on a one way trip to Oklahoma. I looked on amazon and didnt see anything like the old receivers. So ill have to find a good old one.

MaryB
01-15-2015, 11:53 PM
You decide to part with it give me a shout... I need a radio restoration project

Im on the fence on if im going to fix it or not. This is my first radio and part of me wants to get it going but I still have a ton to learn and I looked on ebay and for less than a hundred bucks I can get one that is restored and working like new.