PDA

View Full Version : SKYPE -- do you use it to talk with friends

gray wolf
01-02-2015, 12:02 AM
SKYPE do you use it to talk with friends ? how do you like it ?

Does anyone here talk with other board members ?

Have you anything to say about it ?

Sam

jmort
01-02-2015, 12:08 AM
I use it for work, but I am certain it would work well for friends and family.

blaser.306
01-02-2015, 12:21 AM
I use it quite often! "Met" a couple of board members here this way! Too bad more people aren't on Skype!

starmac
01-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Uh Nope and nope.

gmsharps
01-02-2015, 01:17 AM
Currently I am in Afghanistan and I use it every day to talk to the wife. When she worked in the UK I called her most days there also. The main issue I have is the internet here really sucks but better than nothing. With the poor internet service I can only use the voice SKYPE and not have anything on the PC open or I get garbled voices. I also get a few call drops mostly from this end. The times I have use it in the US I have not had any real issues. It's a great value for the cost and for me at least good quality. Much cheaper than phone cards. You can also get a Skype phone number and receive calls on it. I haven't used that capability.

gmsharps

DougGuy
01-02-2015, 01:49 AM
I make video calls right from the messenger in facebook. It works really well, got a buddy in Bulgaria wanted help for a scope from the US which one to order for a client hunting red deer, I hooked him up.

Recluse
01-02-2015, 02:37 AM
Both of our daughters are determined to teach us how to use Skype. In all honesty, I really want to learn. Both of our big computers and laptops are fast, have very good built in cameras and mics and everything is ready to go--except that my wife and I always seem to have something get in the way. . .

By the way, Sam, you and Julie keep an eye out on your mail next week. I have a belated Christmas present on the way to you. ;)

:coffee:

jmort
01-02-2015, 02:40 AM
If I can use it anyone can. Download the software/app and then click it and pretty simple from there. Next best thing to being there, a distant second, but really nice.

RobS
01-02-2015, 02:45 AM
Use it to make video chats over seas to family mostly.

GhostHawk
01-02-2015, 08:24 AM
Used it for years mostly with gaming friends. Great piece of software that is slowly erroding away IMO.

Digger
01-02-2015, 08:49 AM
Did use it quite a bit but have slowed down now ... Wife's side of the family and daughter in England ..
At the time , computer to computer was free and enjoyed it a lot while video chatting with everyone .

LUBEDUDE
01-02-2015, 09:18 AM
Used to use it years ago, but it had too many issues/flaws.

Now family members have Apple products, so we use FaceTime instead with no problems at all. And only have to push one button to initiate.

10x
01-02-2015, 09:26 AM
It works well as a substitute for a telephone if you don't use the video feature.
Sound quality is sometimes a bit hit and miss - with pauses.
Use the video option and it can be not too bad, or not at all.
There is a chat mode too, where you can leave a message for friends that are not on line.

I have no idea of how good it can get if you purchase skype credits or pay for any of their services.

gray wolf
01-02-2015, 09:36 AM
Thank you J.D.

Men It seems some like it so I tried it, very easy to install on the puter.

I have an old very inexpensive camera and Mic. (Logitech ) that clips on the computer screen.

Was able to talk to my brother FACE to FACE for the first time in 2.5 years.

He gained a tad of weight, but he looks great.

He was in the Nursing home taking care of his wife Betsy.

Poor girl is still incapacitated from that darn Listeria food born illness.

Was great.

Sam

flylot
01-02-2015, 10:20 AM
I use the voice only on my cell phone to talk to wife when I'm out of country. The WiFi in hotels work well for voice mode. Never tried the more advanced features.

Nueces
01-02-2015, 11:38 AM
I've used it to talk to a buddy in a coastal town in southwest Canada and to my daughter on her world travels. It's a heckuva fine communications tool.

mold maker
01-02-2015, 11:51 AM
I have a special needs grandson that used to get a real kick of talking to me. He's 15 now and the thrill is gone.

powderburnerr
01-02-2015, 12:52 PM
I talk with my son in china and my daughter in europe for nothing, I like that part.