PDA

View Full Version : Lee Classic Turret Press with my RCBS dies?

40-82 hiker
01-01-2015, 11:12 PM
I have been searching for these answers, but seem to be stumped.

I want to get a Lee Classic Turret Press, but want to use my own RCBS 4 die pistol sets, as I cannot afford Lee dies at this time. Should I expect this to work out okay with the Lee Classic Turret press? So far I can see that I would have to get Lee lock rings, but will the Safety Primer work out okay, and are there any other problems I should be aware of?

Thanks

Sweetpea
01-01-2015, 11:16 PM
I don't have one, YET...

But I don't even see why you should need the Lee lock rings.

Everything should work fine.

40-82 hiker
01-01-2015, 11:18 PM
I don't have one, YET...

But I don't even see why you should need the Lee lock rings.

Everything should work fine.

I've read the RCBS lock rings will overlap?

waltherboy4040
01-01-2015, 11:20 PM
Take a caliper and measure them at the widest point, I can measure my nuts for you.

The only thing the safety prime should hit is if you have a powder measure without a riser on top.

bstone5
01-01-2015, 11:25 PM
I use RCBS dies in a Lee four hole turret press, the locking rings from RCBS had to be changed out to the Lee rings with the O Rings.

The RCBS rings were too big in diameter and would hit each other trying to lock the die into place.

I purchase a set of the Lee rings and put them on what ever RCBS dies I am using at the time.

Other than the ring problem the RCBS dies work fine on the four hole Lee turret press.

40-82 hiker
01-01-2015, 11:26 PM
Take a caliper and measure them at the widest point, I can measure my nuts for you.

The only thing the safety prime should hit is if you have a powder measure without a riser on top.

Thanks for the offer, but the question of the lock rings has been answered.

I withdraw my original response, as I do not want to take advantage of what may be an bad joke.

Thanks.

40-82 hiker
01-01-2015, 11:28 PM
I use RCBS dies in a Lee four hole turret press, the locking rings from RCBS had to be changed out to the Lee rings with the O Rings.

The RCBS rings were too big in diameter and would hit each other trying to lock the die into place.

I purchase a set of the Lee rings and put them on what ever RCBS dies I am using at the time.

Other than the ring problem the RCBS dies work fine on the four hole Lee turret press.

Thanks for the info. Looks lik I am good to go then. At least after I get the press...

Le Loup Solitaire
01-01-2015, 11:54 PM
Lee Lock rings will work just fine with RCBS dies. A 3 pack of Lee lockers from Midsouth costs around $2.70 a pack for 3 so switching over to Lees won't break the bank. I've used them a long time and never had any probs. LLS

40-82 hiker
01-02-2015, 12:15 AM
Does the Classic Turret Press use the RCBS shell holders? The Lee description of their shell holders makes me think they do. ??

Sweetpea
01-02-2015, 12:22 AM
I stand corrected, although I am surprised.

The difference at the widest point only seems to be .007...

Standard shellholders should work fine.

dikman
01-02-2015, 12:31 AM
I have a Lee 4-hole turret press (not the Classic, but the 4-hole mounting is the same) and I have a set of RCBS 44-40 dies in it, They fit and work fine. The lock rings are slightly larger than Lee's, but the only thing that means is Titan's nice little plastic nut tool won't fit. It came with an RCBS shellholder, which fits the ram just fine.

40-82 hiker
01-02-2015, 12:35 AM
I have a Lee 4-hole turret press (not the Classic, but the 4-hole mounting is the same) and I have a set of RCBS 44-40 dies in it, They fit and work fine. The lock rings are slightly larger than Lee's, but the only thing that means is Titan's nice little plastic nut tool won't fit. It came with an RCBS shellholder, which fits the ram just fine.

Sounds like it is a close fit one way or the other. Glad to hear the RCBS lock rings work. Thanks

Artful
01-02-2015, 12:41 AM
Depending upon the year of mfg the RCBS lock rings vary - some are too large others will work.
I had the same problem with my Co-Ax press some worked fine others had to be changed out to Bonanza rings.

40-82 hiker
01-02-2015, 12:47 AM
Depending upon the year of mfg the RCBS lock rings vary - some are too large others will work.
I had the same problem with my Co-Ax press some worked fine others had to be changed out to Bonanza rings.

I'll get the rings, as they are rather inexpensive. Thanks.

r1kk1
01-02-2015, 10:20 AM

I remember this.

I use Forster/Sinclair rings where I can. I despise tight die spacing. I use two Dillon rings, one on the powder station and the other on the crimp station if needed. I use Forster's on the bullet seating and full length sizing station. This is on a 550.

I will not buy a multi station press in the future with tight die spacing. I don't care for Lee, RCBS, Redding, some Lyman lock rings. I'm not a big fan of Dillon lock rings but they are the smallest diameter. Hornady makes a good ring. I really like cross bolt rings. I didn't care for the early Forster lock rings with the slotted screw. I changed those to cap lock or socket head style, now they are made that way.

Take care

r1kk1

mdi
01-02-2015, 01:25 PM
Hmmm, no problems with my new RCBS 30-06 dies/lockrings on my Lee turret press...

troyboy
01-02-2015, 02:13 PM
Early Rcbs dies had large round lock rings. Later dies have a much smaller hex nut lock ring.The difference between the Lee and hex style Rcbs is .059. I prefer the Lee style lock rings but I would not buy new lock rings as your dies should work fine.

bedbugbilly
01-02-2015, 11:37 PM
I use a variety of brands on my Lee 4 hole turret - Lee, Lyman, RCBS, Lachmiller, etc. It all depends on what lock rings your dies have. I've mixed a Lyman in with a 3 die Lee set - no problem. My RCBS die set seems to fit but it's older and has round, not hex lock rings.

As mentioned - you can switch out the rings with a set of Lee rings. I bought several sets from Dennis at Titan and keep them on hand "just in case". They aren't that expensive and I actually like them better than some of the "traditional" lock rings.

As far as the Lee 4 hole classic turret - I use mine for pistol cartridges and love it. I have various turret plates set up with different die sets and it's nice to be able to switch out without a lot of muss or fuss and not having to make die adjustments on each change.

charlie b
01-03-2015, 12:38 AM
My old press was a classic turret. RCBS dies then had the round knurled rings with hex screws. The rings fit fine but the hex head would stick out just far enough to interfere with the other rings. So I would adjust each die separately, clamp down the ring and grind off the exposed edge of the screws. Then they would thread in and out smoothly.