PDA

View Full Version : 320 long dies for 32 long colt

MrWolf
01-01-2015, 09:52 PM
Based on what I have read, the 320 long dies seem to work better with a heeled bullet for the 32 long colt than the current 32 long colt dies. I can order a 3pc set from CH4D that have about a 16 week wait for about $99. Any thoughts or advise?

Thanks,

Ron

Yodogsandman
01-01-2015, 10:56 PM
How about a Lee 3 die carbide set #90624 at Midway, Nanchez or evilbay

MrWolf
01-01-2015, 11:12 PM
Those are for the 32 S&W and Police. From what I have read, the 320 seems to work better with a cast heeled bullet for the 32 long colt which hasn't been produced since the '70s.

Guesser
01-02-2015, 02:05 PM
I have no experience with the 320, never even seen one. Here, I've posted a few pics of 32 Long Colt factory ammo and fired cases with Ideal 299153 90 gr. heel bullets. The bullets slip into the fired, unsized case mouth. The factory loads are 82 gr. inside loobed, may be HB, I've never pulled one to see and doesn't say on the label.

Harry O
01-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Mr. Wolf: Let me know what you find out. I have a .32 Long Colt 80gr hollow-base mould and a few factory .32 Long Colt cases. I also have my eye on a Colt Positive in .32 DA caliber that has been sitting in a display case for 10 or more years. The next step for me is to get a set of dies. I have been looking at the same dies as you and wondered the same things. Once you find out how they work, please post it as a follow up.

BTW, I don't know of any standard set of dies that work with a heeled bullet (speaking from experience from working with the 41 Long Colt). I had a special set of factory-crimp dies made by Lee for the 41LC. They work great. I don't know if Lee can do that with the 32LC. Before I had the special FCD, I drilled a 0.386" hole through an electrical stripper/crimp hand tool. Then I rounded the edge with a moto-dremel tool and hand crimped them. It worked, but was slow. If I can't get a 32LC FCD from Lee, I will use that method for crimping heel-base bullets (which I don't have, yet, but will eventually).

MrWolf
01-02-2015, 04:01 PM
I have since learned and received info from this thread and from a very knowledeable individual that has dealt with this issue. Chev. William stated to use the 32 long colt dies but use a Collet style crimp die to work with the heeled bullets. There is a lot of good info in this thread at Cascity:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,48910.0.html

He has done a lot of work with this cartridge. Once I get some ammo, brass, and mould (I found an Ideal No. 1 in 32 long this time), I can play. It may have to wait till the Spring as me and cold don't play well together.

Ron

Harry O
01-02-2015, 05:37 PM
You might be interested in the loading data I have for the 32LC from the Phil Sharpe loading book. No word on the test barrel length.

All bullets are the 80gr hollow-base cast bullet.

#3 powder, 3.0gr, 840fps
#5 powder, 3.1gr, 830fps
#6 powder, 2.3gr, 840fps
SR-80 powder, 6.5gr, 815fps
RSQ (semi-smokeless), 3.0gr, 770fps
Bullseye, 2.1gr, 770fps

Perfect cartridge for using up all your old (really old) powder.

Bent Ramrod
01-02-2015, 06:05 PM
I have an RCBS set for the .32 Long Colt which I use for a Ballard, a Low Wall and a Police Positive in that caliber. I have no trouble loading either the hollow base boolit or the heeled .32 Short or Long boolits in them. I do have to "feel" the bottoming of the boolit on the case mouth when the latter two are loaded, but that's no problem.

Haven't had any experience with a .320 Long gun or die set.

MrWolf
01-02-2015, 06:18 PM
I am beginning to understand the issues with getting an old girl to shoot well. I have heard a lot of folks comment that they would have purchased something chambered in something like a 32 long colt except their is no available brass or bullets or moulds, etc.. I am learning a lot from some knowledgeable folks that I will try and apply once I have everything. I did check with RCBS and they do not have the case forming dies for the 32 long colt. If I have as much fun as I hope with this, I think that would be the next project.

Harry O
01-04-2015, 08:35 PM
OK, you guys talked me into it.

I went to see the pawn shop yesterday that has had a Colt Police Positive in .32 Long Colt in their display case for about 10 years. I took some .32LC cases and .32 S&W Long cases with me to confirm that it was actually a LC. It was. It was a 1908 version with a 4" barrel and original grips, all in pretty good shape. It had some rust speckling here and there and much of the bluing is turning brown. However, it was tight, smooth, and had a good barrel. We did some dickering. We were getting close, but still not there yet.

Then he went into the back of the shop and, a few minutes later, came out with a second one. This was one from 1912 or 1913 (depending on the internet source). It was also tight, smooth, and had a good barrel. Unfortunately, while one side was in very good condition, the other side had a considerable amount of speckled rust on it. Everywhere. Cylinder, frame, and barrel. Looks like hell, but there should not be anything that would stop it from shooting well, though.

We started dickering again, this time for both of them. I ended up walking out with both of them. They are pretty well matched. The same barrel length, same grips, etc. The only visible difference between them is that the older one has the old style cylinder release and the newer one has the newer style cylinder release. Looking closer, the older one has .32 Colt DA on the barrel and the newer one has .32 Colt Ctg on it. But, both take the .32LC cases and will not take the .32 S&W Long cases.

Next step: Dies.

w30wcf
01-05-2015, 06:25 PM
I have several .320 cases and a few loaded cartridges. The .320 case is the same as the early .78" .32 LC case that used a heeled bullet (299153). So it makes sense if one is using the 299153 in the .78" case, the .320 die set would be the best suited.

Most likely the .32 LC die set is for the .91" case that used hollow based bullets (299155) or the 31-090A.

Personally, I use as fired cases in my '92 Marlin with the bullet heel a press fit into the case mouth. So far that has worked really well. :smile:

Harry O,
Nice find on those vintage pistols. :smile:
w30wcf

w30wcf
01-06-2015, 07:20 PM
A bit more info on the .320.....

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o25/w30wcf/Collector%20Cartridges/320.jpg

The bullet is a bit different from the then standard .32 LC .78" case which used the solid heeled bullet (299153).
It was factory loaded with a bullet similar to the 299153 except that it has a hollow base.
Thus the reason for the lighter 80 gr. bullet.

The forward diameter was .314" as compared to the .299" forward diameter of the hollow based bullet factory loaded in the 32 LC .91 case bullet (aka .32 Long Rifle).

w30wcf