PDA

View Full Version : Swage press question

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-01-2015, 05:24 PM
I am currently using BT's dies in a RCBS and Lee Classic Cast. I have dedicated the Lee to swaging 22s and use the Rockchucker for 40s, 45s, and 50s. The presses do a fine job but I find that with longer swaging sessions my tendonitis in my elbow kills me. Even sizing larger brass cases causes the same problems. Is there a heavier duty swage/reloading press that I can use my current dies with and maybe have minimal switch-over costs? I have auto ejects on both of my current presses and would like to keep this feature and my base punches are threaded.. Thanks for any advice!

garandsrus
01-01-2015, 06:16 PM
You might try using a longer handle.

anotherred
01-01-2015, 07:02 PM
I agree, longer handle. Also a while ago, Brian posted mods to the Lee press on getting more mechanical advantage out of it.
Try this one.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?151163-Modding-the-Lee-Classic-Cast-for-leverage

rolltide
01-02-2015, 02:06 AM
I would suggest the Walnut Hill from RCE. You can use it to swage and reload by shifting a pin in the cam. You can use all the same dies as it is the same threads as a reloading press. Brian can make an adapter to use his ejection system for the Walnut Hill. You will be grateful for the ease and comfort every time you use it, and long after the price is forgotten.

Roll Tide

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-02-2015, 02:23 AM
I appreciate the feedback. I lengthened my handle and it helped immensely. I nearly doubled its length. Thanks for the advice!!!

I do see a Walnut Hill in the future, but just not yet.

JRPVT
01-02-2015, 05:13 AM
ICH, another idea not mentioned is to mount your presses at a 30 degree angle on your benchtop. I've done this with mine and it does make swaging easier. You may also want to change your working height, try standing on a pallet for an hour or so and see if it makes any difference. I also bring a barstool over every now and again to give my legs a rest. Heck, try anything to make fun easier. Dave