PDA

View Full Version : S and W model 17 barrel liner.

Ken
02-20-2008, 02:24 AM
Who does this type of work? My 6 inch which has been converted to K hornet needs a new barrel or a liner.
Which is the better way to go?
Thanks for any help.

leftiye
02-20-2008, 09:56 PM
I'm doing a conversion like that - Kframe .25 hornet. This thread made me think of re boring an S&W barrel to .25 with 1 in 14 twist. It's probable that the Smith who could do one could possibly do both, though the relining is much simpler. Look at Numrich arms, they might have new barrels for the Model 17. If you just want to get away from the .223 diameter barrel, try it first, it might shoot okay (wouldn't like heavy bullets probly though). The .22 mag barrels are .224" dia. That's what I'm using in my .22 CCM conversion. Got an 8" one off of fleabay before the brain fart.

Ken
02-20-2008, 10:36 PM
I bought a converted model 17 at a gunshow that has a slight barrell buldge, extremely not noticable, but would like to correct it. I would be interestedin a .224 liner if I can find a smith that will do it. How much trouble is it to change the barrel?

Bullshop
02-20-2008, 10:38 PM
leftiye
What kinda 22 ccm ya buildin? I have one on an old flat top Ruger single six. Had to convert the frame to center fire and rechamber the 22 mag cylender to 22 ccm. That little bugger does shoot good. With a 50gn hard boolit it will penitrate like you wouldnt believe. I did another one on a Bullberry 22 mag contender barrel and it is superbly accurate. The contender barrel can still shoot 22 mag RF with its dual firing pin set up. I had Pacific tool & Die make a reamer with a 1 degree lead especially for boolits and that worked out great. I have the drawing if you would like a copy.
I would like to hear how your project goes.
BIC/BS

Ken
02-20-2008, 11:51 PM
My local gunsmith tells me to get an new barrel rather than line this one. A K Hornet may be to much pressure for a liner. Anyone know of a reputable pistolsmith that will change the barrel?

leftiye
02-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Bullshop, I'm going to actually make my own wildcat out of the 22 hornet. I'll turn the webs down about .020" and then stick it in a sizer die made from a piece of O-1 with a straight through neck size hole about .242" and then tapered to about .272" with a taper pin reamer. That about describes the cartridge. Seems a lot simpler than scrunching the Hornet down to a straight .245". As for the peestola, I'm gonna use a K-frame .357 mag. revolter with a bored out (at the back) .22 mag. cylinder, and an 8 3/8".22 mag. barrel

ra_balke
02-23-2008, 03:55 AM
I do not know about the pressure, but to do a liner is a rather simple matter. Get a liner, and a deep drill from Brownell's, and go for it ! Epoxy the thing in, then have your smith do the forcing cone. If you check the back issues of Home Machinest Magazine, ( back about 1 year ) there is an article about re lining a barrel. Interesting.

JIMinPHX
02-26-2008, 07:53 AM
If you check the back issues of Home Machinest Magazine, ( back about 1 year ) there is an article about re lining a barrel. Interesting.

Could you maybe scan & post that article?

redneckdan
02-26-2008, 12:41 PM
Bullshop, I'm going to actually make my own wildcat out of the 22 hornet. I'll turn the webs down about .020" and then stick it in a sizer die made from a piece of O-1 with a straight through neck size hole about .242" and then tapered to about .272" with a taper pin reamer. That about describes the cartridge. Seems a lot simpler than scrunching the Hornet down to a straight .245". As for the peestola, I'm gonna use a K-frame .357 mag. revolter with a bored out (at the back) .22 mag. cylinder, and an 8 3/8".22 mag. barrel

Sounds kinda like the .270 ren

leftiye
02-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Red, The 270 Ren is the hornet case blown out to zero taper. This idea happened after I researched the .25 hornet. It's basically the .25 Hornet with the head size reduced to decrease the taper necessary to get down to .22 caliber, and so I can use a taper pin reamer to make the chambers and sizing dies. This to avoid problems with locking up the cylinder with hot loads.

johnly
02-28-2008, 08:55 PM
If the barrel is in good shape, I'd suggest using 22 Jet bullets which are the correct .222" diameter, or give some of the .223" Hornet bullets a try before going the expense of a rebore.

If you're shooting lead, then the matter is even easier to resolve.

John

AKtinman
02-28-2008, 10:47 PM
Ken, I agree with johnly - give it a try and see how it shoots.

If the bulge just drives you nuts, then you need to do something about it.

First, a question: Is your K22 marked on the barrel "224 Harvey Kay-Chuk"? If so, it is a collector's item in it's own right as only 300 were made. If this is the case, you will want to preserve the markings on the barrel to preserve the gun's value.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I really don't think a new barrel liner would cause you any problems.

I would suggest contacting Redman's Reboring http://www.redmansrifling.com/ and see what they recommend. I don't remember who took over Cliff LaBounty's reboring business, but he did Hamilton Bowen's work on barrel reboring. Do a web search and give them a call.

You might also join the Smith & Wesson Forum http://smith-wessonforum.com/eve/forums and post a query there. There are 30,000 registered members there and LOTS of S&W expertise. There is a classifieds section there and you could probably find a barrel there pretty easily if that is the way you decide to go.

You can also post a query looking for recommendations for a good revolversmith in your area.

Sounds like you have an interesting gun.

Good luck on your quest!

Ron

johnly
02-29-2008, 07:57 PM
Here's an even better solution:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=93480931

A 6" M-17 Take-off barrel up for auction, starting at $35.

Good luck!!!

John

Ken
03-07-2008, 11:16 PM
johnly
I won it for $35, hope we can make it fit.
Thanks again

johnly
03-11-2008, 07:43 PM
Ken,

I'd fit it for you if you lived close by. Aligning the barrel so that the front site is vertical is the only difficult part of the barrel swap. The good news is that you can have the cylinder gap set to the bare minimum, which really helps the smaller calibers.

Please post some pictures when you get it all done.

John

leftiye
03-12-2008, 07:17 PM
If your barrel doesn't have a groove for the pin, then sight it in and move (rotate) the barrel to where it shoots centered (with rear sight centered) before making the groove for the pin. I'm doing this just now on a homemade model 16 8 3/8". Frame is a model 19-2. Gonna have me an S&W k-frame .327 manglum.