PDA

View Full Version : Resizing question

usmc0811
01-01-2015, 03:30 PM
The one ad up top for titan reloading has the Lee 6 cavity mold I wanted to get and the description says this...
"Most bullets from Lee molds can be used as cast without sizing." "Micro Band Bullets usually require no sizing A great innovation possible only because of Lee Liquid Alox Lubricant."
Is this true do they come out that good or should I still resize?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2015, 03:39 PM
Of the 40+ Lee molds I have, Two pistol molds drop a near perfect sized boolit for my "plinking" uses.

One reason to size boolits, is so they are all a uniform size. Depending on your casting technique, I'd guess a newbie will cast boolits that aren't all exactly the same. It's much easier to load ammunition with uniform sized boolits and it'll probably shoot more reliably (in autos) and more accurately.

tazman
01-01-2015, 03:47 PM
In a lot of cases they do come out that near proper size. I have a couple of those molds for my 38/357 and I don't need to resize them.
Also, you are not restricted to tumble lube. Almost any soft lube will work.
Also powder coating the TL boolits works extremely well. If you powder coat, you will need to resize them since the coating adds to the diameter of the round.

dualsport
01-01-2015, 03:47 PM
I use a lot of Lee 6 cavity molds, they vary. Some will need sizing. The pistol type tumble lube designs have worked fine as cast and LIGHTLY lubed.

usmc0811
01-01-2015, 03:54 PM
thanks guys, what is powder coating I keep hearing about? does anyone have a link to a good example/explanation of powder coating.

usmc0811
01-01-2015, 03:56 PM
never mind I found some good info on powder coating

BAGTIC
01-10-2015, 09:00 PM
If they will chamber try some without sizing. Why should we expect a sizing die to produce a better fit in our gun than the gun will produce itself?

44man
01-11-2015, 11:26 AM
I use Felix lube on TL boolits, hate Alox. They do work but I shoot high velocities for hunting and long range accuracy. TL is OK for cat sneeze stuff. The boolits do work with a better lube.
I fear powder coating because wear over time has not been had. It is too new for me. I cherish my guns too much.

44man
01-11-2015, 11:29 AM
I have given away almost every bottle of Alox I get with Lee dies. Lee dies are great, just leave that bottle out and reduce the price.

cajun shooter
01-11-2015, 11:39 AM
They have a very good line of lubes that are sold by one of our old members. Lars sells the Carnuba Red, BAC, and 2500 lubes that are both fair priced and one of the top lubes for smokeless powders.

44man
01-11-2015, 01:08 PM
They have a very good line of lubes that are sold by one of our old members. Lars sells the Carnuba Red, BAC, and 2500 lubes that are both fair priced and one of the top lubes for smokeless powders.
That is true, Glenn is one of our best, sent me lubes to test. He had one of the best ever BP lubes but can't get ingredients any more.
You will do no better anywhere for lubes and I hope he is still my friend. I understand his business is based on demand so if you want XLOX, he has it. The man has to make money. But if you want the snot on your boolits you will miss his great lubes.

mdi
01-11-2015, 01:14 PM
thanks guys, what is powder coating I keep hearing about? does anyone have a link to a good example/explanation of powder coating.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

gwpercle
01-11-2015, 06:31 PM
Most of the time you can get away with Micro Groove designs and tumble lubeing. Every now and then a gun won't cooperate. Lee makes a little sizer tool and conventional lube groove boolit moulds for those.
The truth is you are just going to have to try it in your gun and see if it works....no other way to tell. Tumble lubing helps to get started when you are on a budget. Down the road you can branch out into lube/size machines.
Gary

JohnH
01-11-2015, 10:34 PM
I have a Lee 6 banger, the 44-200-RF. It drops boolits that are out of round, .431 on the skinny, .437 on the fat, drops at 217 grains. Gotta size e'm. I have a two banger of the same mold, drops nearly perfectly round .430 and weighs 200 grains, no size required. I also got a 542-200-RF two banger which drops boolits at .454, for 45 Colt, no sizing required. Your mileage is gonna vary. You gotta cast and measure 'em, know what your dimensions need to be and size accordingly. I tumble lube with 45-45-10 I buy from a gentleman here www.lsstuff.com (http://www.lsstuff.com)

44man
01-12-2015, 11:29 AM
I have a Lee 6 banger, the 44-200-RF. It drops boolits that are out of round, .431 on the skinny, .437 on the fat, drops at 217 grains. Gotta size e'm. I have a two banger of the same mold, drops nearly perfectly round .430 and weighs 200 grains, no size required. I also got a 542-200-RF two banger which drops boolits at .454, for 45 Colt, no sizing required. Your mileage is gonna vary. You gotta cast and measure 'em, know what your dimensions need to be and size accordingly. I tumble lube with 45-45-10 I buy from a gentleman here www.lsstuff.com (http://www.lsstuff.com)
That is Glenn, super nice person. He works very hard to supply all of us. The amount of time and work to make all the lubes at home is astounding. I do not know how he finds any free time.
You will not find better at any price.

mdi
01-12-2015, 01:11 PM
One of the best tools a caster can have is a micrometer. Measure your bullets! Whether you intend to shoot them as cast or run them through a sizer, ya gotta know what your mold produces, every casting session (something may change from session to session, seemingly insignificant, that can cause a difference in bullet diameter).

dragon813gt
01-12-2015, 01:19 PM
I fear powder coating because wear over time has not been had. It is too new for me. I cherish my guns too much.

I thought I was the only one that felt this way. I have no problems w/ conventional lubes to warrant powder coating.

newton
01-12-2015, 08:14 PM
Not to digress too far, but if you think about it powder coating does not contain anything harder than copper plating does. People have shot copper plated boolits for years. If anything, it would be fouling to worry about.

but, if your going to powder coat you will need to size as it does add some girth.

brassrat
01-12-2015, 09:31 PM
Quite a bit of girth, I have found, in my new little hobby.