PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started and in need advice on reloading equipment.

nannah
01-01-2015, 10:06 AM
Hi, guys. This is my first post over here, and i will take the opportunity to introduce myself.
I am a male, in his late 20's, and i am from europe. I am a normal family man, with a wife and kids.
I dont know what more to tell you. If you want to know something about me, please send me a message and i will get back to you. :)

Anyway, the reason to why i joined this community was that i have gotten into a new hobby of recycling different metals, both precious and base metals. What i want to start doing is smelting the metal that i collected, and cast them.

When i heard about reloading from a friend of mine i got interested, and this skill is something that i want to learn.

I dont have a press, but im going to buy one soon. Other then that, what tools do i need?

So what i wanted to ask was, what advice would you give me that you think i need to know before going into this?

Ps. If you have some used equipment that you want to sell, or know where i can turn to, please inform me. I would be very greatful.

Thanks in advance. :)

/F.

winelover
01-01-2015, 10:29 AM
I started reloading 40 years ago with a RCBS JR Press Kit. Still make use of most of the items that were included. IMO, the kits are the best bang for your buck. If I were to start over, I would opt for something along these lines:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/000449361/Rock_Chucker_Supreme_Press_Master_Reloading_Kit_

Winelover

carbine
01-01-2015, 11:26 AM
Welcome! Where are you located? There may be someone near to you to help you get started

slim1836
01-01-2015, 11:49 AM
What will you be reloading? Pistol, rifle, or both? What supplies are available where you live?
These and more questions need to be answered before buying equipment or you will end up with items that you will never use.

There are members here that may live in your area that may be able to help. Knowing where you live helps. Things easily found in the USA may not be available where you live.

Do not believe everything you see on the internet. Books on casting and reloading are your friend. Data on reloading can be found on powder supplier web sites.

Welcome to the site and learn as much as possible before spending hard earned money on things you may not need. The people here are very knowledgeable and can answer most any question asked.

Slim

MrWolf
01-01-2015, 11:55 AM
What will you be reloading? Pistol, rifle, or both? What supplies are available where you live?
These and more questions need to be answered before buying equipment or you will end up with items that you will never use.

There are members here that may live in your area that may be able to help. Knowing where you live helps. Things easily found in the USA may not be available where you live.

Do not believe everything you see on the internet. Books on casting and reloading are your friend. Data on reloading can be found on powder supplier web sites.

Welcome to the site and learn as much as possible before spending hard earned money on things you may not need. The people here are very knowledgeable and can answer most any question asked.

Slim

Good advise. Figure out what you want first, then establish the means to get their. It almost sounds like you are more interested in smelting than casting.

Yodogsandman
01-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the sight, nannah!

Get a good reloading manual or two first, before you buy anything. I recommend the Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Manual. Read it over a few times and decide what you want to do. Then buy the best equipment that you can afford. I started out with all good used equipment. I prefer RCBS for all the basic tooling but, have a mix for everything else. You can't beat the RCBS or Dillon warrantees. Many times you can get by with cheaper equipment until you can afford to upgrade.

flylot
01-01-2015, 02:09 PM
As a new guy myself, I have been very busy reading all the stickies and castpics. Man, a guy can get "data overload" in a real hurry! Welcome to a great place to "hang your hat".

country gent
01-01-2015, 02:37 PM
If there are reloading shops or your Local gun shops stop in and look at diffrent presses. They run a large spectrum of styles and materials. c frame, o frame. turret. progressives ( and these break down into several diffrent makers styles alone). Look at frames opening size in relation to the largest rounds you want to load, also look at getting cases in and out of the shell holders. A press is pretty universal normally set up for 7/8" 14 dies, If you want to load 50bmg or t variants then a press with the thread insert is a plus to allow 1 1/2" dies to be used also. The press will depend on what feels good to you. Dies are caliber specific and other than a few will require them for each caliber ( most 357 mag dies will also load 38 spl as most 44 dies will do mag and specials both). Trimmers are universal with a few parts caliber specific. A good loading block is really handy and can be made with a drill press some nice wood and an appropriate fostner bit. Deburring tools are pretty universal also. Look athru catalougs shops and if possible buddies set ups. Read a loading manual or 2 Gives a great idea on the processes and shows what is happening. Following the old stand bys RCBS, Lyman, Lee, redding and Foresster/bonanza and requesting thier catalougs will give alot of ideas. Then you need a good solid bench to work from.

WILCO
01-01-2015, 02:53 PM
So what i wanted to ask was, what advice would you give me that you think i need to know before going into this?

These two books will show you what you need to know.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/440x330/Primary/639/639649.jpg

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/867/867465.jpg

Wayne Smith
01-01-2015, 06:05 PM
You need to let us know where you are and what resources are available to you. I understand that what is commonaly available to us may be unavailable to you. If you can give us some idea we won't be recommending lots of stuff that are dreams for you rather than potential reality.

nannah
01-02-2015, 07:31 AM
Omg, thanks for the response. I expected maybe one or two posts. :)
I will do my best answer all of you.

I am in Sweden which have a restricted gun policy. I dont have access to anything here locally, so i will have to order from the U.S, or the Czech republic maybe. It is also an member of Eu, so if i locate a seller from over there it may be cheaper.

I will reload both rifle and gun ammo. Mostly .22 shorts i am interested in tight now, but i am interested in reloading hunting rifle and shotgun ammo too.

thanks guys. :)

nannah
01-02-2015, 08:14 AM
In looking to get a Derringer or a NAA mini revolver, or part to build it, just for Fun. :)

randyrat
01-02-2015, 08:52 AM
Maybe you can start with a single shot rifle? with a common caliber that supplies are easy to obtain would also be a good start.

flyingmonkey35
01-02-2015, 11:06 AM
I dont know of any way to economically reload .22 shorts or rim fire for that matter.

But welcome.

Start with a small single stage press.
Pick one gun that you love to shoot and cast and reload learn that one.

As you become proficient you can expand.

Of course as local laws allow.

nannah
01-02-2015, 12:32 PM
I live in a country where guns is very controlled, and i got interested in reloading mainly becouse it's diy, and if it costs more it fine with me. :) Im into it for the challange, and to educate myself so i can be more self reliant.

But reloading .22 is possible then? I read today that someone said it couldnt be done.

I love Derringer type of guns, and those mini revolvers that you can have in your belt buckle. If i would be able to buy parts to a Derringer i would be extatic. :)

What kind of single shot gun would you have in mind?

country gent
01-02-2015, 02:03 PM
There are some diffrences between loading rim fires and centerfire rounds that make the rimfires harder or more challenging to do. Reswaging the firing pin hit out of the rim is first and then comes finding a suitable priming compund, and getting it out into the rim of the case where it needs to be. Last is the heeled bullets that are required for rimfire ammo. I believe there is a die set available for this Its not cheap and how availability is I dont know. Center fire reloading componets are readily available and straight forward procedures. There are some that are loading 22 rimfire with Black powder on here . Maybe put a post in the rimfire section asking for information.

Wayne Smith
01-02-2015, 08:16 PM
Other than Miha's molds I don't know any reloading related equipment available through the EU. Probably some of our members over there can help with that part.

I would strongly recommend getting a basic reloading manual, Lyman or Serria preferably in English, Norma may have one in Swedish which would be helpful. You need something that provides a basic understanding of the cartridge reloading process before you look seriously at starting to buy equipment. This should be complete with pictures.

Look to Norma and Privi Partizan for components within the EU, and there are probably a couple of others I'm not thinking of currently. Norma and VutaVori (sp) components are available over here so I assume they would be to you. In fact, being in a relatively small area and small population of shooters/reloaders I'd be tempted to put in a call to both Norma and VV and see if you can get some direct training/education. It wouldn't surprise me if you get invited to visit.

Ola
01-03-2015, 06:32 PM
I have noticed that Swedish gun stores have more reloading and bullet casting equipment on the shelf than we do here in Finland. And you have way better selection of components (specially the gun powders) than we do. So you are lucky .

And there is also this if the local shop doesn't have what you need:

http://www.brownells-sverige.se/
(You also have MIDWAY, but for some reason www.midway.se takes you to the www.brownells-sverige.se..)

In the past we used to order some stuff from Staffans Wapen, but the selections is not what it used to be.

Ola
01-03-2015, 06:37 PM
In looking to get a Derringer or a NAA mini revolver, or part to build it, just for Fun. :)
I'm not sure but I think owning these small handguns might be illegal in Sweden if you do not have a special license. Go to your local police station and ask before doing anything that might get you into trouble..

(Here it is impossible to get a license without being a collector)