PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 450 O ring size

Boolit_Head
01-01-2015, 05:47 AM
Noticed tonight the lube is leaking out the bottom of my Lyman 450. I'm guessing I need a new O ring. Is it a common size? While I am at it I might as well pick up some for the piston. Are they a common size as well? Anyone know what they are?

Maven
01-01-2015, 10:38 AM
B_H, If lube is leaking from the bottom of your #450 as mine did, it's not the O ring, but the bottom seal. Not to worry as the fix is very easy and 100% effective. Here's what you need to do: Dismount the #450 from your bench, then insert a pc. of cardboard larger than the base under it. Writing tablet backing or shirt cardboard works fine. Poke holes in the cardboard for your mounting bolts and remount it. Lastly, trim the excess around the base with a sharp utility knife and you're done! Working slowly, it won't take more than 15 minutes.

myg30
01-01-2015, 11:36 AM
I have a note with Home Depot #35 oring. 9/16x11/16x1/16 and
#16 1 1/16x13/16x1/8
I remember last I looked they did not have one of the numbers but a trip to Tractor supply with
the size was able to match them up. Ace hardware too.
Put sum lube or grease on the o rings before you insert into the sizer.
Maven's suggestion is also a good idea to prevent bottom leaking.

If your needing a lot of pressure to get lube, you might want to warm the sizer with hair dryer. To hot and lube will run out all over.

Happy New Year, Mike

Walter Laich
01-01-2015, 12:02 PM
There is an art to getting temp and pressure correct. Takes a bit of time to develop the 'feel' needed but it comes with practice.

Boolit_Head
01-01-2015, 03:47 PM
I was using Lyman alox with little pressure but just switched to BAC but the Alox just started leaking and now so does the BAC. When I switched I noticed the O ring on the bottom seal was pretty bad so I figured I'd start there.Can't hurt to have some fresh ones anyway. I believe this sizer is 20 years old and still has the original O rings.

myg30
01-01-2015, 04:26 PM
I forgot to say you can also order parts from lyman. Here is a link and some parts are 450 only.
http://www.lymanproducts.com/store/page151.html

O rings should fix your leaks.

mike

Elkins45
01-02-2015, 12:10 PM
B_H, If lube is leaking from the bottom of your #450 as mine did, it's not the O ring, but the bottom seal. Not to worry as the fix is very easy and 100% effective. Here's what you need to do: Dismount the #450 from your bench, then insert a pc. of cardboard larger than the base under it. Writing tablet backing or shirt cardboard works fine. Poke holes in the cardboard for your mounting bolts and remount it. Lastly, trim the excess around the base with a sharp utility knife and you're done! Working slowly, it won't take more than 15 minutes.

I used a sheet of gasket material from the auto parts store. My thinking was that gasket material is engineered to be oil resistant.