PDA

View Full Version : Nice way to ring out the old year and in the new.

RogerDat
01-01-2015, 01:08 AM
What better way to wrap up the old year than trying out the new angle iron ingot molds to make 150 lbs. of sheet lead into ingots.

Worked out well with a ladle that pours 1.5 to 1.6 lbs. The triangle ingots fit 25 lbs. to a SFRB and pack snug. Perfect way to store lead in manageable sized packs, and the "sticks" should feed into the casting pot nice.

Tomorrow I'll start the new year by doing some COWW's and watching MSU in the Cotton Bowl.

dikman
01-01-2015, 01:54 AM
Yep, I reckon angle-iron molds are the perfect shape.

lightman
01-01-2015, 10:02 AM
Can't think of a much better way to kick off the New Year! Its shaping up to be a rainy, dreary day here, with sleet and freezing rain possible. Thinking about lighting a fire in the fireplace and watching ballgames. Happy New Year!

zuke
01-04-2015, 12:07 PM
2 day's after Christmas I did the same thing with a 5 gallon paol of radiator shop rad dripping's. There's a post on here somewhere about it.It took a lot longer then I thought and was a messy time but I ended up with 30lbs of 30/70 solder

RogerDat
01-07-2015, 02:59 AM
I promised the wife that she would be able to get her car in the garage and since I was out there anyway moving stuff around, and the weather was mild enough to have the doors open I ended up doing around 250# of COWW's to go with that plain. Much more storable and compact as ingots than it was in buckets.

62chevy
01-07-2015, 05:21 PM
I promised the wife that she would be able to get her car in the garage and since I was out there anyway moving stuff around, and the weather was mild enough to have the doors open I ended up doing around 250# of COWW's to go with that plain. Much more storable and compact as ingots than it was in buckets.

Are you storing your lead in the shed as planed or something else.

RogerDat
01-08-2015, 02:33 AM
Are you storing your lead in the shed as planed or something else.

Not yet. Still waiting on the roll up door I ordered. Decided not to risk having lead stolen by putting it into a shed closed by a tarp. Door should be here soon then the bulk of the ingots will be stored there.

fredj338
01-08-2015, 03:48 PM
I also did some NY smelting, turning about 70# of range scrap into 60# of clean ingots. I still need to do more but a good start.