PDA

View Full Version : I was wondering how powder is distributed

wv109323
12-31-2014, 09:07 PM
I have been through several sporting good stores through the holidays. Of course I have looked at the reloading components that are available.
I have seen a couple powders that are readily available and none of others. The powders that are common in my area are: IMR-4064. something like 7228SC and IMR 4350.
I was wondering why the abundance of these and others non-existent within the same manufacturer.. Do the manufacturers produce one type powder at a time and make an abundance and then sell as demand calls for it. It just so happened that IMR-4064 and the others were stocked. Or do they think this is what the market demands?
I really can't figure out the pistol powder dilemma. It takes so little powder for pistols as compared to rifles. It seems that pistol powder would be more available. Or is there a greater number of people loading for pistols compared to rifles?
Last year the .223 Remington lead gun sales.

GabbyM
01-01-2015, 01:46 AM
Different powders from the same label come from all over the world.
No real mystery about any of this. Demand is way up. Not just hoarders but shooters.

Case in point. Last month. The most Goggled recipe from the Ukraine. Was how to make a Molotov cocktail. Why is that? well perhaps because the Russia army of the mad man Putin is inside there boarders looking right at them.

At home here. Back when I was a kid in the 1960's. We knew for a fact our government would defend us. Now we have elected an evil man to the white house. He throws our oldest allies under the buss so why would we think he and his kind will do us any different. So we feel on our own. We buy ammo. Polish and covet it. Not that it could ever make any difference. Obama is laughing at us.

Amount of ammo sold in the last ten years is just crazy. I used to be in the bullet business. Bailed out because customers became simply intolerable. Stupid punks hitting my phone or email every ten minutes asking how to load bullets. RTFM dummy. Nothing but lazy public school white trash. Every one of them just a one time customer you've made $8 profit from that's just saving up for SHTF BS. Good customers get lost in the maze.

As I was tiring of spending half my day in customer service rather than production and shipping. One of the big stores with over thirty sites contacted me about stocking product. Sounded good for a while until I realized I was dealing with complete idiots who thought they could put one more squeeze on me every month to make there paper report look better. I just shut it down and stopped answering the phone. Guess what. No one has come into the market to replace me.

Powder is probably not much different. any fool can see this surge will not last. So why build a plant to make powder that will come on line about the time this surge ends. Personally I think manufactures and the supply chain have done an outstanding job of providing product at a fair price. I'd wager most members here have more powder and primers in there closet than at any time in there lives. Anyone who says there is a shortage is illiterate in the English language. Fact is record volume is being distributed. Much of the volume is being shot up by the record numbers of new shooters. Industry. if they are smart and they are. Are building to meet steady demand. Basements at some point will get full. Since it seams so many shooter feel they need to purchase a lifetime supply in a single order. Thing is they can actually afford to do that. Majority of what's being sold today IMHO will end up rotting into squib.

dtknowles
01-01-2015, 03:32 AM
Different powders from the same label come from all over the world.
No real mystery about any of this. Demand is way up. Not just hoarders but shooters.

Case in point. Last month. The most Goggled recipe from the Ukraine. Was how to make a Molotov cocktail. Why is that? well perhaps because the Russia army of the mad man Putin is inside there boarders looking right at them.

At home here. Back when I was a kid in the 1960's. We knew for a fact our government would defend us. Now we have elected an evil man to the white house. He throws our oldest allies under the buss so why would we think he and his kind will do us any different. So we feel on our own. We buy ammo. Polish and covet it. Not that it could ever make any difference. Obama is laughing at us.

Amount of ammo sold in the last ten years is just crazy. I used to be in the bullet business. Bailed out because customers became simply intolerable. Stupid punks hitting my phone or email every ten minutes asking how to load bullets. RTFM dummy. Nothing but lazy public school white trash. Every one of them just a one time customer you've made $8 profit from that's just saving up for SHTF BS. Good customers get lost in the maze.

As I was tiring of spending half my day in customer service rather than production and shipping. One of the big stores with over thirty sites contacted me about stocking product. Sounded good for a while until I realized I was dealing with complete idiots who thought they could put one more squeeze on me every month to make there paper report look better. I just shut it down and stopped answering the phone. Guess what. No one has come into the market to replace me.

Powder is probably not much different. any fool can see this surge will not last. So why build a plant to make powder that will come on line about the time this surge ends. Personally I think manufactures and the supply chain have done an outstanding job of providing product at a fair price. I'd wager most members here have more powder and primers in there closet than at any time in there lives. Anyone who says there is a shortage is illiterate in the English language. Fact is record volume is being distributed. Much of the volume is being shot up by the record numbers of new shooters. Industry. if they are smart and they are. Are building to meet steady demand. Basements at some point will get full. Since it seams so many shooter feel they need to purchase a lifetime supply in a single order. Thing is they can actually afford to do that. Majority of what's being sold today IMHO will end up rotting into squib.

Let it out man, let it out. Don't hold it in, it will kill you.

Tim

sig2009
01-01-2015, 11:46 AM
My friends shop has 2 distributors in PA they deal with. Sometimes they just drive out with a truck and pick it up or have it shipped. Last week they came back with 35lbs of Bullseye,Unique and various other powders.