View Full Version : Have you noticed that PC protects your boolits?

prs
12-31-2014, 08:14 PM
Especially softer alloy, but even COWW alloy boolits are prone to damage if roughly handled in storage or if dropped even a short distance onto a hard floor. I use fairly soft alloy for my pistol boolits, in the rage of 10 to 12 hardness for plinking and even softer for hollow point rounds. Drop any of these on a concrete floor and you have a distinct flat spot; and, like a jellied slice of bread always landing jelly down, these oops seem to hit on the edge of the bases. Then comes a good coating of PC. Dropped rounds that hit on the side or close to flat on the base are undamaged. Even one that hits the edge of its flat base will often be unscathed. Remarkable, this tough and hard stuff.

prs (who drops an occasional boolit as he feeds the Lee push through sizer with too many unsized boolits in his left mit)

fcvan
12-31-2014, 10:05 PM
My powder coated boolits aren't very well protected. They still get launched out of my AR 10 at 2100 fps and meet a horrible demise when they hit the berm.

prs
01-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Oh! I have not had that problem, yet. I use steel plate targets and would only hit the berm if I should ever miss. ;-) My boolits, PC or otherwise, just sort of vaporize on impact leaving only tiny traces of their former stature.

prs

rsrocket1
01-05-2015, 11:28 PM
I've noticed that also. I box 'em up and when loading them notice that they don't get the little nicks and dents that bare cast boolits have.

popper
01-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Cheap hardness tester. Yea, mine roll & drop ~ 3' and always hit on the edge. As long as it's not the base they still shoot good.

guncheese
01-06-2015, 07:02 PM
here is what happens when a WC hits a plate head on
http://goo.gl/dquNia

Beagle333
01-06-2015, 07:41 PM
Nice pic!!!! And you do mean exactly, perfectly head on too! :cool:

popper
01-06-2015, 11:26 PM
I guess that is the nose pushed out the base?

guncheese
01-07-2015, 02:26 AM
I guess that is the nose pushed out the base?

well..... ive been known to not have the best sprue cuts
so between the nose and the sprue that should explain it ;)

Gunslingerdoc
01-08-2015, 11:34 AM
Ive noticed that the matte black PC's bullets dent more easily vs the colored - especially HF red which is darn near a plastic layer. I suspect that its because I end up spraying a thicker layer of the colored coatings....but yes PC seems to make the bullet a LOT tougher.

guncheese
01-08-2015, 02:31 PM
the HF red is a very tough coating
http://goo.gl/QTx2Fp