PDA

View Full Version : 327; again

Guesser
12-31-2014, 06:24 PM
Latest Handloader Mag has a really good, in-depth article and load data on the Ruger Single 7.

Tatume
12-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Hi Guesser,

Yes, it was an interesting read. But I can't think of a need for one myself. I'll keep trying though.

Take care, Tom

rintinglen
12-31-2014, 06:55 PM
January issue? December's was more for the 44 lover, there was nought for the 327.

lbaize3
12-31-2014, 07:42 PM
Yep, I read it. Then I ordered a thousand 327 starline cases. Then went to Midway and ordered a thousand Rainer 100 grain hollow point plated boolits. Ought to work well enough with a sensible load of Accurate #9. Next thing I am going to get is a new set of grips from Almont.

dragon813gt
12-31-2014, 07:45 PM
What month? I don't get the magazine but would like to pick up a copy since I have a Single 7.

Guesser
12-31-2014, 09:03 PM
I never looked at the issue #, but it came in the mail today.
Tatume: Need never entered into the equation. I passed need almost 40 years ago and just kept on trying things that peaked my interest. The 327 did, I first started out with Colt 32-20 back in 1956, been in love with 32 caliber revolvers ever since.

wrench man
01-01-2015, 01:12 AM
HHMM?, should show up in my mail box soon!, have everything but the dies to reload for mine, even have the conversion kit for my RL550B, got the wrong kit first time around FleaBaying for the 30 carbine!?, must be some of the reason I got me a 32 chambered gun?, was already started down the path,;-)

contender1
01-01-2015, 11:41 AM
Good article, in the Feburary 2015 issue. Love the 32's!

ejcrist
01-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Yep - great article. That's also the first I read about Longshot powder. That's one I haven't tried. Anyone used Longshot in 32 H&R? I wonder why none of the heavier boolits tested were with H110? I found H110 to be an excellent powder for heavy 32 H&R loads with 32-098-SWC's and think it'd be worth testing in the 327. Also Brian said he used a .3085 expander when loading. I have a .308 expander for RCBS 32 H&R dies and was thinking about using it as well for the H&R. I didn't measure the regular expander since I know the .308 is for TC loads but the regular expander seems to open the cases up slightly too much. I'm sizing 32-098's to .314 so I get a fair crimp but I'm thinking it should be slightly tighter. Any ideas on the size a given expander should be relative to a boolit to get a satisfactory crimp? I've always wondered if there's a rule of thumb.

Gene

denul
01-01-2015, 09:18 PM
Gene - Apologies in advance for the lengthy post-

I was really surprised to read about Brian's trouble getting adequate case tension in the 327. I have used the same set of RCBS dies, for several years, and never had any problems, until yesterday. The case expander seized onto 4 of my new 327 Starline brass so tightly that the rims were torn off by the shell plate. That's never happened with any other brass, or on any of the 32 H&R magnums I've loaded over the years. (Early adopters of that cartridge will remember the very frequent side splitting of Federal factory 32 H&R's) but my once fired Federal 327 Brass has done fine with a wide range of reloads. I checked my expander, and was surprised to find it at >.311+. I have never had any creep with loads from the 98 gr RCBS up to a 140 grain LBT LFN. I suspect that my sizer is a bit tight, relative to the expander, but I can't argue with the results. Using a Keith 116 PB, BHN16., from a Lee 6 cavity GB ages ago, over 10.5 of AA#9, (a bit lighter than Brian's load behind a 130gr), I got a 1399 FPS average for 11 shots, with ES of 29 and SD of 10. Seems very accurate out to 150 yards. This was from my 4" Gp100, the 327 seven shooter Ruger got right (and then discontinued), whose longer cylinder should have been on the single 7; my unfired 7 1/2" Single 7 is on its way back to the factory, so it can be modified to load and unload without removing the cylinder.
I have been playing with loads that WILL fit in the Single 7, using the excellent MP 614 640 PB HP, at 100grs., crimped just over the crimp groove, at about 1200 fps using WAP, (now marketed as Silhouette), but soon will be trying both Longshot and Power Pistol, given Brian's success with both. I'm also finding the reamed, shortened (4 5/8) Buckeye to be 50 or so FPS faster than the Gp100, and am hoping for some gains in velocity when the 7 1/2 " Single 7 gets back. No leading so far in these 2 revolvers , sizing to .313, using CR lube. Oh, I'll try some 296 soon, currently stuck with a very picky fair weather chronograph.

One of the longest MP group buys was Honcho'd by 2 Dogs, for the sledgehammer, which is now being called the Ferminator, I believe in reference to 2 Dogs real name. I really don't like gas checks, but got the mold any way, and it's awesome from the longer cylinder 327s. I don't think I'm alone in wishing to use a longer cylinder to fully realize the potential of this cartridge, and I suspect that that is where 296/ h110 will really shine.
So sure was I that the 327 was dead, and given the outrageous prices demanded for .327 GP 100's and Smith Model 16s,(which could easily be reamed to 327), that I sent off a 22 single six for a conversion to 327. After making the down payment, confirming the deal, and hoping in vain for a longer cylinder there as well, I set aside a substantial amount for the custom gun. Then, Ruger comes out with this Single 7. Ok, enough, already, but Ill post more as I load more, thanks for listening to the rant.

Guesser
01-01-2015, 10:53 PM
In the article he said he used nothing but Federal (FC) cases. That's all I've ever used, got mine from shooting out AE 85 & 100 gr factory loads. I'm looking into his .3085 suggestion for neck tension. Seems pretty tight for my .313 cast bullets.

wrench man
01-02-2015, 04:00 AM
The case expander seized onto 4 of my new 327 Starline brass so tightly that the rims were torn off by the shell plate.

While I didn't tear any rims off, I had Starline 44Mag brass galling on the powder funnel on my Dillon 550B? so hard I couldn't hardly pull the handle back up!?, I'm not sold on Starline??, the 357 brass I got from them felt HARD!? and this 44 brass must have been soft??
I've got Federal for my 327.

Guesser
01-02-2015, 08:53 AM
All the Starline cases I've ever used have been heavier, thicker than other brands. That would explain the seizing. Back when I ran a progressive and mixed headstamp it was always quickly obvious whenever a Starline case came into the mix. Good brass, just needs to be treated slightly different. Eventually I may try some in 327.

rhbrink
01-02-2015, 09:06 AM
I pulled the rim of a Starline 327 case when sizing for the first time using Lyman dies. I've had to lube the inside of the case or they will all bind very tightly. After firing the first time no problem.

RB

dragon813gt
01-02-2015, 10:19 AM
Glad I read this before I started loading some Starline cases. Have a thousand of them because they've always been great in other calibers. Looks like I will be spraying them down w/ some lanolin first as a precaution.

wdr2
01-02-2015, 11:20 AM
I run all new Starline brass in my vibratory case cleaner for 30 min before initial sizing. Apparently just enough lubrication from the brass polish is applied to allow for easy extraction from carbide dies and expanders. Works well for me.

Fergie
01-02-2015, 12:40 PM
Interesting that other folks had this problem. I was loading some 100gr LRNFPs using my .32 S&W Long dies the other day, and the .327 brass was binding on when I was belling the case mouth. Binding to the point that I had to use a good bit of force to retract the ram arm. I lubed the cases thinking that was the issue, but still had the same issue. This was with new starline brass too...glad to know I am not the only one!

denul
01-02-2015, 01:37 PM
failed to mention that so far I've been able to not have the problem with the Starline brass by loading new brass without resizing them first. That apparently prevents excessive grip on the expander, and they chamber very well without resizing. Then, as noted above, they seemed fine after being once fired.