PDA

View Full Version : Powder Question, Need Help!

Vince from MO
12-31-2014, 03:22 PM
I have 2 containers of Hercules 2400 powder. I put it in my powder measure, one at a time, and noticed different weights of same volume. After checking a few drops, the two had approximately 4% difference in weight.

My question is: When I start working up a load, should I use the heavier weight per volume as standard and reduce the weight of lighter power by 4%?

Vince

dh2
12-31-2014, 04:14 PM
you have two different lott numbers of powder , different batch's are different , the safe way is to work up the load again with each container

trapper9260
12-31-2014, 04:20 PM
you have two different lott numbers of powder , different batch's are different , the safe way is to work up the load again with each container

That is the best way i would say also.

Outpost75
12-31-2014, 04:21 PM
Lot-to-lot variation of 4% is within normal expectations.

That is why you always reduce maximum loads by not less than 10% and work back up.

Shooting groups on paper is more useful than just shooting over a chronograph. Once you know that a particular load shoots well, THEN you want to know what the velocity is, to make it easier to find the "sweet spot" which you change powder lots.

Loudenboomer
12-31-2014, 04:27 PM
4% seems like more than normal lot to lot variation. Normally I'd Blend for consistency.