PDA

View Full Version : Please help me get started casting slugs

bremraf
12-31-2014, 01:41 AM
Hey fellas, longtime lurker new member. I need some help deciding what loads to try out in my shotguns for next deer season. I'm tired of paying $1 per shot for Cheapo remington sluggers, so I'm gonna get back into casting. The problem is I can't decide what to start with! There are too many choices and I'm on a budget of sorts so I can't afford to buy them all.... Sooo here's what my weapons/purposes are I'm open to any suggestions.

My first shotgun is an 870 shootbore with a rifled choke and ghost ring sights, I'm thinking about working up a roundball load for this one for short range as this is my thick brush gun.

Second one is a Maverick 95 bolt action, also a smoothbore. It shoots 2" groups with 3" Sluggers at 50 yards, 2 3/4" shells just about 3", and I can do 3 shots in a paper plate a 100 with it. This is the one that has me stumped, I know its not worth much and maybe not even worth trying to find a good load for it, but I like this gun its light and didn't cost me much. I plan on scoping this one this year, and am hoping to be able to find a load good to 125ish yards, but I know this is may be an impossible feat for a smoothbore.

Well that was my rant, any help would be greatly appreciated!

jmort
12-31-2014, 02:20 AM
It is hard/impossible to get the same performance equal to even the cheapest factory slugs. The round ball idea has merit. A round ball around .678" is a good choice. The Lyman 525 slug is a good choice as well. The Lyman slug will reach out farther.

bremraf
12-31-2014, 11:19 AM
Thanks, I will most likely start with the round ball loads for the 870, as i have about 50 sluggers which will get me through next season in the mossy. I just have to round up the rest of the equipment i need.