PDA

View Full Version : marlin model 62 opinions

bouncer50
12-30-2014, 10:55 PM
I allway wanted a Marlin in 257 Mag. But my question is are they accurate. I have a lot of 357 brass to reload it. They also made it in 30 caliber carbine. It would be a fun gun to shoot cheap brass cheap to reload for. But how accurate are they for a 100 yards small game hunting rifle.

crazy mark
12-31-2014, 02:00 AM
Have only shot mine out to 50 yds Accuracy seems to be good. Less than 4" groups. Still trying to find the accurate group for longer shots.

Nobade
12-31-2014, 09:02 AM
I have one in 30 Carbine. It's plenty accurate, especially after I cut a real throat in it. But it is cheaply made, very hard to work on, has a terrible trigger, the extractor is a pain, the chamber had terrible chatter in it from being cut, the magazines don't work, the plastic bottom metal is so soft the screws go through it, and if you put a scope on it, it becomes very difficult to load (I single load since the mags are so picky). But otherwise it's just fine. It is a fun rifle to play with, and with the Williams peep sight I installed I can hit things with it quite well. But a fine firearm it is not!

-Nobade

Shuz
12-31-2014, 11:44 AM
I once had a Marlin 62 Lever-Matic chambered in .256 Win Mag. It had an eliptical chamber and I went thru brass like there is no tomorrow! I've never had the desire to try another.

Combat Diver
12-31-2014, 12:39 PM
Last year help a friend load, trim and make brass for his .256 Win Mag Marlin 62. Use new brass as old brass had a tendency to have case head seperations. We only shot it close range for functioning tests.

CD

Harry O
12-31-2014, 03:02 PM
I have one in 30 carbine also. It is much more accurate than my M1 Carbine. I also had problems with the magazines. After making sure they fed OK (the feed lips were tweeked right), I took them apart and hardened them -- heat them up dark cherry red and quench them in water. I also started loading them with 3 rounds instead of 4 rounds. Haven't had any problems since. It is a cheap gun. But, I have fun with it.

One other thing I found. The chamber is cut much tighter than the chamber in the M1 Carbine. That may have something to do with the accuracy of the Marlin. Not all of my reloads for the M1 worked in the Marlin. After doing a lot of measuring, I found that it was particularly tight for case length. I made sure to shorten all of my cases to the "trim" length before reloading any more. No problems since.

cuzinbruce
01-01-2015, 02:59 AM
I have one in 256WM that I have shot a little bit. Accuracy is fine for hunting with mine. I have been working up a load with 60gr Hornadys. I found a Loverin style mold but have to order gas checks and a sizing die for it. I have formed cases for it no problem. Also got 2 boxes of orig Win cases with the gun. It is a neat little cartridge. Best IMHO with lighter bullets. Get one and have some fun.

FergusonTO35
01-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Good idea that was poorly executed in some ways and whose attributes were definitely under appreciated. A Levermatic in .25-20 or .32-20 would be very welcome in my collection, even though they were never made. Was the Ruger 96 similar?

OverMax
01-03-2015, 12:32 PM
Model 62s were wonderful little rifles. 256 Mag was indeed fast & powerful enough to drop deer size game at 100 or less yards. Although for many years not a legal caliber for Big Game in this State. Pretty good little varmint rifle too for those wily woodchucks. Never had any problems with mine {as said in prior comments} Can't say much about the 30 carbine one never owned a model 62 in that caliber. FYI 256 cartridge was basically a 357 brass necked down to accept a 25 cal light in weight bullet. {RN bullets function best in my clips.} Mine seemed to be most accurate with Speer's (68 Gr. HP. now discontinued) If Marlin ever decided to make another 62 clip version. I wouldn't hesitate to own another.

30calflash
01-03-2015, 02:46 PM
I've one in 30 carbine, no functioning issues that I can recall. It shot OK with some lead loads I acquired. Only tried it at 50 yards. YMMV.