PDA

View Full Version : Need scope mount for long cylinder BFR

Whiterabbit
12-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Just my luck! MR is backordered. Maybe time to find a nicer model if one exists. Does anyone make an attractive mount for the BFR in silver? I can't find any pictures of the Weigand to be sure it's not just some random universal base, and I don;t see a way to buy a T'SOB base.

Anything else out there?

44man
12-31-2014, 02:55 PM
Weigand is very good and I think they make the BFR base. I had the same problem before bases came with BFR's, made my own from Weaver stock from Brownell's.
Top gun on my avitar.

Whiterabbit
01-02-2015, 12:44 PM
Thanks Jim. I called Mr. Weigand today. Here's the scoop, it's a dissappointing story:

They discontinued the BFR base years ago. Why? Magnum Research started making it for themselves and cut Jack out. His sales dropped to zero so he discontinued them. This is not the first "bad decision" story I have heard coming out of Magnum Research, very very dissappointing. Looks like the blackhawk base will work, just drill out the base where the BFR holes are, but Jack was able to do one better. He found 10-year-old stock laying around. Three actually, one silver, two black. I bought the silver on the spot.

I only spoke with Jack for about 5 minutes, but he is clearly a gentleman and a scholar. I instantly liked him.

Hopefully the base is for the long cylinder and I can call MR and have them cancel my backorder. I'll know in 2 days.

bbailey7821
01-02-2015, 01:07 PM
That's funny, because I just received a new one from them on Tuesday. I must have gotten the last one. While I'm on the subject, I have had nothing but awesome service from the Magnum Research folks and would recommend them to anyone!

Whiterabbit
01-02-2015, 01:23 PM
I ordered 12-29-14, got the email on 12-30 I was put on backorder.

44man
01-02-2015, 07:20 PM
Magnum Research includes a base and the gun is drilled and tapped, much better then my having to make a base and doing the work. But there is still room for Weigand for older guns. He has nothing but top quality.
I am so happy you found Jack such a good person.

Whiterabbit
01-07-2015, 02:41 AM
base arrived, it's really, really nice. But for a short cylinder BFR. D'oh! But nothing an hour on a mill couldn't fix. Didn't wanna do it, but I was just making a mountain out of a molehill.

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/fss/1183f6a9e93a96df97d470a32cb1bddf

It's way, way nicer than the mount MR sells.

44man
01-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Glad it worked out, now you will see what that monster will do.