PDA

View Full Version : Extra light 45 acp boolets

Groo
12-30-2014, 10:26 AM
Groo here
I gust 100 of the 123gr 45acp/colt rn hp cast boolets from Streight dhooters cast.
Has anyone else tried them?
Do you know any data for extra light boolets in the 45acp/ar.
I plan to try these in my 625.:popcorn:

Boolit_Head
12-30-2014, 10:48 AM
123 grain is really an odd weight for 45 acp. I doubt you will find any data from the powder or bullet manufacturers. I'd check the place you bought them from to see if they have any.

6bg6ga
12-30-2014, 10:55 AM
And I thought my 185's were light weight.

ReloaderFred
12-30-2014, 11:20 AM
There are loads for 165 grain bullets in the .45 acp, so I would start with that. I'd select a midrange load for the 165 gr. bullet and then work up to a load that will get what you want with that bullet.

In my case, though, I'd probably just throw them in the Master Caster pot and make them come out as 200 gr. RNFP bullets that I could use in either my .45 acp's, or .45 Colts.

Hope this helps.

Fred

6bg6ga
12-30-2014, 11:30 AM
Don't take offense here but I see no real point to a bullet that small for the 45acp. I like Fred's idea of throwing them into the Master Caster pot and making some 200 gr bullets. I'm sure I'm at fault for having a 185gr SWC mold for my 45acps. I've got coffee cans full of them and haven't shot one yet.

Groo
12-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Groo here
They are a special purpose load, like a Magsafe,or Glaser.
The boolet will expand / blowup in the first 4 to 6 inches [ right where the most nerves-pain is]
The base will travel to 8-9in[no blow through]
Similar to a 125gr 357mag load but in a 45acp/ar - a city or crowd or in house load.
Not for general/outdoor/hunting etc use.
You make special heavy hunting loads don't you, why not the other way around.
Ps ,, If I like them I will have a custom maker [ "factory"] make some for you that worry about legal stuff.
Dun that before......

calshipbuilder
12-30-2014, 01:42 PM
what powders are you going to try?

Groo
12-30-2014, 01:46 PM
I will start with Unique , some where around 7.5 to 8 gr I think.
I have some Bullseye , that is about the fastest I have.

1Shirt
12-30-2014, 01:50 PM
Keep us posted on results!
1Shirt!

jonp
12-30-2014, 08:42 PM
Ive got a box of 165gr i bought on a whim. I gave up on them as i never could get them to feed. 200gr is as low asi go in both 45acp and colt now. I dont see any advantage for reloaders to go lower

Groo
12-31-2014, 12:05 PM
Groo here
As I stated this is for my 45 Revolver.
I have given up on autos for most uses as they are just too picky for my uses.
There for I have started to go back for revolvers.
6bg6ba --- What you would do with the lights [ in the pot] is what I have done with ALL my extra heavy and most heavy boolets.
After much reading,research and my own experiences I have concluded that except for some very specific targets
I have no need for them.
For most shooting I use a boolet has has a flat nose about 65% to 80% of diameter , and is of a weight that
will allow 1200fps in a magnum.
In the low pressure rounds [44sp , 45acp, 45colt etc.] same nose ,and a weight that will allow at lest 800 from the gun used.

Char-Gar
12-31-2014, 12:32 PM
Guns are like dogs, in that they don't all do the same thing or act the same way. I am not about to fault my Pekineses Whitman because he can't point quail or tear the arm off an intruder. However he does quite well as my pal and alert dog. He has a very definite place in dogdom.

Autopistols are not picky! They operate very well within certain parameters and do an excellent job. The fellow that wants his Chihuahua to retrieve ducks is not going to be happy. Neither is the fellow going to be happy with an autopistol he is asking to do things it was not intended to do.

I like both autopistols and revolvers and don't judge one by another. I like them both for different reasons and to do different jobs.

Char-Gar
12-31-2014, 12:36 PM
Groo here
I gust 100 of the 123gr 45acp/colt rn hp cast boolets from Streight dhooters cast.
Has anyone else tried them?
Do you know any data for extra light boolets in the 45acp/ar.
I plan to try these in my 625.:popcorn:

I do not predict great joy with these bullets. A very short 123 grain 45 caliber bullet, shoved down a barrel with shallow rifling designed for 230 grain jacketed bullets, is not a match made in heaven or anywhere else.

longbow
12-31-2014, 01:46 PM
Load data for such light boolits is scarce. I do not have a .45 ACP but did get an Accurate Mold design for a 165 gr. TC boolit scaled to .44 for my Marlin.

I started with 180 gr. top end loads using IMR4227. I got lots of unburned powder even in rifle length barrel. I went to faster shotgun/pistol powders and found that 700X worked very well.

I have not played much with it but will be trying both Green Dot and Unique. I am now out of 700X.

Lightest boolit loads I have seen for .45 ACP:

http://castpics.net/dpl/index.php/reloaders-reference/cast-bullet-data-lookup

Surely the supplier/manufacturer has suggested load data but regardless, I have to guess fast powders will be required under such a light boolit.

Longbow

It just occurred to me after I responded that there was a group for collar button bullets which run around 130 gr. in .45 cal. You might check to see if anyone posted successful loads for .45 Colt then use that as a basis for developing a .45 ACP load. Also, NOE did a run of very light "Pointy Boolit" moulds a while ago so again there may be some posted data for those light boolits.

6bg6ga
12-31-2014, 03:21 PM
Everyone seems to have something that they believe works well and this is probably why there are many different styles and weights of bullets.

Certaindeaf
12-31-2014, 04:39 PM
I'll just stick with my fifty grain 9mm slugs. lol

35remington
12-31-2014, 05:49 PM
A bullet this light will not hit close to the sights at all but very close ranges. Ballistic consistency goes down as well. Such bullets have faddish runs (witness the various 155 SWC's that have come and gone) but very short longevity when it comes to acceptance for any reasonable job.

Since it's a pain to crank on the sights, even with adjustable sights, I'll predict less than satisfying results with these as well.....and I've got a 625 myself and have shot down to 150 grain bullets. Halving the bullet weight often does not turn out well.

blackpowder man
12-31-2014, 08:15 PM
I've shot a couple thousand of the lee 160 or 165 rnfp out of 1911s and they do great and hit within a few inches of factory 230 grain stuff. I bought that mold for a uberti saa that had a front sight that was way to low and it worked good for that, but they generally shoot pretty low in most of my .45 colt rifles. I also picked up a 142 grain sp mold for my .44s in an effort to save lead shooting at paper and while plenty accurate they hit pretty low. I've had round ball loads shoot much closer to the same point of impact as heavier boolits than the ultra light boolits do.

zomby woof
12-31-2014, 11:39 PM
shoot many off the LEE 160's through my 1911.

MtGun44
01-01-2015, 12:52 PM
The lightest I ever saw for .45 ACP in semiautos was the old 155 gr SWCs. They had
a very short bearing section with one lube groove and the SWC nose had to be pretty
skinny to be long enough to make the meplat location and size work for feeding.

I called them "thumbtacks", cause they kinda leaned in that direction of appearance.
The were popular for a while in IPSC, haven't seen them in a while.

All sorts of different ideas out there, blowup boolits is one concept that folks try.
A friend that hunted mostly med-to-small whitetails said the most effective ammo he ever
had was a .280 with some sort of a varmint jbullet, seems like it was in the 130gr
range, loaded hot. He said they were like a death ray, only penetrated about
6-7" and blew a huge hole in the lungs with a broadside shot. Deer just dropped,
BUT he was very disciplined and would never take anything but a perfect broadside
shot, and shoot behind the shoulder. On the shoulder would have ruined a lot of
meat and probably lost the deer. The other load he used was a 160 gr range with
a tougher construction, would penetrate forever, always exited smallish (150-200 lb)
whitetails, but they would always run for 50-200 yds. He could take any angle,
up to the Texas heart shot without worry, but would definitely have to track
the blood.

Different ideas, different effective engagement envelopes.

Bill