PDA

View Full Version : 8 X 57 neck sizing question?

hc18flyer
12-29-2014, 10:20 PM
I plan to neck size for my M48. Do I really need a 'neck size' die, or can I simply screw out my 'full length resize' die on cases already fired in my rifle. I remember reading about it at one time, need someone to refresh my memory. I am going to be traveling by both MidwayUSA and MidSouth Shooters Supply and could pick one up, should I need one. Thanks, Flyer

JWFilips
12-29-2014, 10:55 PM
While I do Only neck size my 8 mm ........Yes You can partially neck Size in a FL die Just look carefully at how far down you are sizing the neck Just befor it hit the shoulder. ( Some say this is actually more accurate to your chamber)

LAGS
12-30-2014, 01:20 AM
I set my sizing die up with .003" clearance between the die and shell holder and only partially resize my 8mm cases.
The cases last longer, and seem more accurate.
But I can only fire them in the rifle they were previously shot in.
That becomes an issue for me, as I have 27 Mausers, and most are 8mm

Larry Gibson
12-30-2014, 11:07 AM
I plan to neck size for my M48. Do I really need a 'neck size' die, or can I simply screw out my 'full length resize' die on cases already fired in my rifle. ......... Thanks, Flyer

Depends on how much the case body has expanded down around the web in particular. If the case is expanded enough there it gets squeezed in in a FL die even when partially turned out. When the sides of the case are pushed in the shoulder is pushed forward and chambering becomes difficult or impossible. The you have to turn the FL die back in to set the shoulder back which gets you right back to FL sized cases. How much the case expands is dependent on the hardness of the case in that area, the chamber dimensions and the intensity of your load. With chambers on the large side and starting with FL sized cases with low intensity cast loads you might get 5 firings +/- before some partial sizing begins to occur with the turned out FL die.

I do suggest a NS die. I use a Redding NS die and my R-P cases can be fired with my normal cast load (190 cast over 29 gr 4895 w/Dacron filler) many, many times before FL sizing is needed. Actually I don't remember the last time I had to FL size those cases!

If you have multiple 8x57 Mausers (lucky dog!) I recommend the RCBS X-Die. I have three 8x57 Mausers and set the X-die to size with a slight crush fit to the smallest headspaced rifle's chamber. I use full powered (to German specs) loads with jacketed bullets in those cases and shoot them interchangeably in all three rifles. Case life has been very good with no trimming necessary in the W-W cases I use for this.

Larry Gibson

UBER7MM
12-30-2014, 08:04 PM
Flyer,

I full length size my new 8x57 and cut down and sized up 30'06 range brass. After the first shot, I neck size from then on. They seem to last a long time that way. I've got some neck sized brass that I bought in the last millennium. (Your mileage may vary.) As you know, to get cast lead in the case you'll have to bell or expand the rim. That comes to 4 dies per cartridge, when it's all said and done. Full length sizer, neck sizer, expander and seating die.

Let us know how it turns out.