PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder wear?

12-29-2014, 09:38 PM
Is this wear normal on Pietta 1858? I just bought it used and have replaced this cylinder.

Omnivore
12-29-2014, 09:54 PM
It looks like something with the hand isn't right, like someone has been yanking hard on the hammer after the bolt locks the cylinder, as in fanning the hammer hard and fast to emulate the jerks in Hollywood. If I'm right, take a close look at the cylinder's bolt lock notches for signs of peening due to rapid rotation during lock-up. Anyway it looks excessive, but the test is whether it cycles properly. Mine has a LOT of shooting on it, and the hand hasn't dinged the ratchet cuts anywhere near that much. Better check the hand too, but again; if it cycles properly the hand is OK for now.
Unless someone made a hardened hand...

I'd be just as concerned about dings at the chamber mouths. It's an inherent issue with the Remington lever/link geometry, which tends to force the plunger face up, toward the cylinder axis when seating hard near the cylinder face.

12-29-2014, 10:11 PM
The hand is very worn too. I suspect it was dry fired/fanned alot. It is so worn it fails to rotate old cylinder at all, new one rotates but not like it should. Thanks

Omnivore
12-30-2014, 02:31 AM
I think I'd go ahead and order a new hand right away. Expect to have to do some fitting though.

12-30-2014, 01:00 PM
I have a new hand on order old one is very abused. Glad I didn't pay any more for this revolver than I did. At least he cleaned it.

swathdiver
12-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Those $199 deals at Cabela's are looking better and better eh?

freedom475
12-30-2014, 09:35 PM
Those $199 deals at Cabela's are looking better and better eh?

Yep..I have to agree!! Just count your loses and buy a new one from Cabela's...save this one for a parts gun!!

How in the WORLD could you abuse a gun this bad!!!!!!!!hahahahah???...I have destroyed some things in my day..but this is out of hand!@!!lol..lol even buldge a barrel on an 1860 once...spent 15 years using it for dry-fire, spinning and quickdraw practice...in the end I bought a new barrel for it, cut the bulged barrel off with a grinder and re-crowned it with a deburing tool and sold it...the gun still worked just fine!! How could you even do this???lol:mrgreen::mrgreen:[smilie=b::2 drunk buddies: