PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on OLD dies

sigshooter
12-29-2014, 08:54 PM
I have a set of Herters 30-30 dies, looks like from the '40s or '50s and the cardboard box says that they are a full length sizing and seating die.

With the lack of mention of crimping, am I to assume that there is no crimping feature on the seating die? Or would the crimp be a given feature?

I cannot seem to get decent roll crimp on these rounds, I always seem to get setback on the lever action.

Thanks for any input,

SIG

beemer
12-29-2014, 09:18 PM
I have a set of Herter's in 30-06 with no crimp, they are C & H dies. You would think 30-30 dies would have that feature. If you pull out the seater and look in the die with a strong light you can see the taper ring in the neck if there is one. If there isn't one you can get a Lee factory crimp die.

Dave

Guesser
12-29-2014, 09:31 PM
All the Herters rifle dies I've ever used had the crimp feature same as Lyman, RCBS, Lee, and any others. It's there, it's just a matter of adjustment.

sigshooter
12-29-2014, 09:35 PM
If you pull out the seater and look in the die with a strong light you can see the taper ring in the neck if there is one.

It appears that there is a step in the die where the crimp should be, so I guess I just need to figure out where the sweet spot is?

Thanks Dave.

SIG

mdi
12-30-2014, 01:05 PM
I too own a set of Herters 30-30 dies (pretty well designed/finished). The crimp feature is included in the seating die, just like most other die manufactures' dies...

Easy to check; back up seating stem, run an empty case up into the die until you feel resistance, and push a bit more. Remove the case and look at the case mouth. If the case mouth has started to fold/roll in, it's crimping.

Bayou52
12-30-2014, 01:27 PM
Good luck on setting your seating die for the proper crimp. Since trimming seems to always leave a little inconsistency in case length from one brass to the next, I've buckled many a rifle case crimping this way.

To remedy the issue of buckled necks by using the seating die for crimping, I've chucked crimping in this way. I picked up a Lee Factory Crimp Die for crimping the various calibers, including 30-30. Works perfect, and since this particular caliber is a collett crimp mechanism, you never get a buckled neck. Crimps look factory perfect each time.

Just sayin' FYI......

Bayou52

Guesser
12-30-2014, 02:34 PM
If you use the Herters die it is best if you seat the bullets as a single operation then back the seating stem out all the way, you may even elect to remove it. Then adjust the die in your press to crimp to the degree you want. This works well, assuming all your cases are the same length.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-30-2014, 02:52 PM
Trimming brass to a uniform length for crimping helps a lot. Otherwise, the Lee factory crimp die is worth its weight in gold.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/492510/lee-factory-crimp-die-30-30-winchester

sigshooter
12-31-2014, 11:42 AM
All,

Thanks for all the replies and information.

Case lengths are uniform, and I have set up a few for testing out at the range.

They seem a lot more even than the last bunch that I tried, and there is a small roll, about 1mm then there is an even smaller straight section above the roll (smaller OD) about 0.5mm. no case crushing at all. I will try to get a closeup of the leading edge of the brass.

It's cold out there, but I have to try these things.

Thanks again,
SIG

Outpost75
12-31-2014, 12:46 PM
All the Herters rifle dies I've ever used had the crimp feature same as Lyman, RCBS, Lee, and any others. It's there, it's just a matter of adjustment.

Correct. I still use a set of Herter's. 30-30 dies and while they don't look pretty, they work fine and DO crimp.