PDA

View Full Version : Quickload Help

Michael J. Spangler
12-29-2014, 08:43 PM
hi guys,

I was wondering if someone might be able to run a load through quick loads for me? I'm working my with new 453423 bullet in AR brass in a 625-3.
I wanted to run some published data including Elmer's load of 7.5 unique to get a better picture of whats going on pressure wise with some of these suggested hot loads.
I would buy a copy of the software but i run a MAC computer and the software isn't compatible. Thanks in advance guys.

petroid
12-29-2014, 09:02 PM
I don't have that bullet in quickload. Give me bullet lenght and weight and your OAL and I'll try

Michael J. Spangler
12-29-2014, 09:21 PM
Bullet length is .650"
Bullet weight is 252 Grains
Overall cartridge is 1.200"

looking at unique. brian pierce listed 6.2 as a max and elmer used 7.5 grains.
thanks man!

petroid
12-29-2014, 09:42 PM
Assuming you are using the NOE 453423 at 238gr with boolit length of .645 and OAL of 1.275 max pressure is given as 17804 psi and 956fps from 5" barrel. That's the max SAAMI OAL and gives the lowest pressure for that load. It is definitely hot for the 45AR

Edit Sorry hadn't refreshed the page to see your post. will recalculate

petroid
12-29-2014, 09:45 PM
Oh Wow! .650 boolit at 252gr and OAL 1.200 gives 23919psi and 995fps with 7.3 Unique.
Drop the charge to 6.2 is 16917 and 875fps.

Ol Elmer was one crazy SOB!

Michael J. Spangler
12-29-2014, 09:46 PM
I am using the NOE but it drops a bit heavy in my alloy. About 252 grains.
I don't have a roll crimp die so I'm planning on loading just a touch short to cover up the crimp groove.

What powder charge was that a calculation for? The 6.2 or the 7.5?
Thanks man! I really need to buy a windows based laptop just for quick load. It's nice to have some real data to compared against the magazine articles.

Michael J. Spangler
12-29-2014, 09:47 PM
Beat me to it!!!

Michael J. Spangler
12-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Ok so that's still well below the 45 super pressures.
I know the gun will handle that and 460 rowland loads. Clark custom converts them all the time with nothing other than reaming the chamber 1/16" deeper.
However I don't want to convert it or buy expensive brass that's as rare as hens teeth.
I also don't want to beat my gun up with 460 loads.
I think I'm going to stay well below the Keith load. It's good to know the actual numbers though.
I bet 7.5 was a 45 super max load that Elmer was running.

I have a feeling I'm going to be casting them out of my doctored up COWW mixture with some extra tin and antimony for hardness and a little lighter bullet anyway.

petroid
12-29-2014, 10:35 PM
Cant you run windows in a virtual machine on apple comps now? buddy of mine has one. since they are using intel processors...

Michael J. Spangler
12-29-2014, 10:45 PM
yeah you can. i just prefer not to mess with all of that
i have a buddy that's going to hook me up with a laptop from his company. they go through them like socks.
problem is i see him once every couple of months so who knows when i'll get it. I've gone without quick loads this long i can suffer a while more. can't wait to get it though. thank god for good friends
and for good forum members.
thank you again. i can't wait to shoot some test loads

petroid
12-30-2014, 08:17 AM
Have fun and be safe!

Michael J. Spangler
01-07-2015, 11:13 PM
the results are in.
i loaded about 25 of these buggers with 5.5 grains of unique

then i loaded 10 each of the 6, 6.5 and 7 grain loads.
i don't know how elmer fit 7.5 grains of powder in a case. i guess i am loading a touch shorter than him, seeing as i'm not roll crimping.
they all shot beautifully, though i did not formally test for accuracy, i shot off hand on the 30 yard berm at a 4" or so rock and pretty much smacked it every time. good enough considering it was 14 degrees and a good 20 MPH wind keeping my shaking and cold.
no rounds jumped the crimp under recoil. the gun did not blow up. it was a good night at the range. can't wait to get some loads over the crono. i would be happy with an accurate load at 900 FPS.

dubber123
01-08-2015, 09:11 AM
Cool. I am guessing you might have to stand on the gas a bit to see 900 fps. Let us know.I have a 625, and they are stronger than given credit for. Unique may work just fine, but I have come to like Power Pistol for my hotter loads. Have fun.

Michael J. Spangler
01-08-2015, 08:00 PM
hey dubber.
yeah according to that info above and a member on another forum 7.5 would definitely get me there. i have looked at powder pistol a lot but its been hard to find around here. have you used it in a 625? i wish there were more load data for 45 super and 460 rowland type loads with boolits. not that i want to bother with the 460 data, but it would be nice to have some references, other than the max loads listed with all of the hottest mag powders out there.
it doesn't seem enough companies focus on boolit data.
i know universal was another good powder for this type of load, but it unobtanium as of late.

dubber123
01-08-2015, 08:29 PM
hey dubber.
yeah according to that info above and a member on another forum 7.5 would definitely get me there. i have looked at powder pistol a lot but its been hard to find around here. have you used it in a 625? i wish there were more load data for 45 super and 460 rowland type loads with boolits. not that i want to bother with the 460 data, but it would be nice to have some references, other than the max loads listed with all of the hottest mag powders out there.
it doesn't seem enough companies focus on boolit data.
i know universal was another good powder for this type of load, but it unobtanium as of late.

I have only used Power Pistol in my 4" 625 with a 215 gr. RF. I should chrony the load, but I was still working my way up when I got side tracked by another project. I lucked into a large batch of Power Pistol for $10 per pound a while back, so I use it quite a bit.

I have always used the moon clips and regular ACP brass. I have no doubt you can hit your velocity goal. I don't know how well yours will shoot, but the hot Power Pistol loads were some of the most accurate I have fired through mine, around 2.5" at 50 yds.

Michael J. Spangler
01-08-2015, 09:24 PM
i was thinking of running some 454-200 HP up nice and fast too. see if i could get them to be accurate.
thats an awesome deal for powder

i use mostly moon clipped brass, but with these loads I figured it would help to keep them out of anyones 1911 god forbid i dropped a couple at the range.
this gun is a real shooter. i'm not as good of a shot as you but I'm sure in the right hands it will do that all day long.
i spend more time shooting at the rocks on the 30 and 50 yard berms. i do know at 10 yards its one hole for 6 shots. i would like to get a new rear sight slide as mine is a little boogered up from the previous owner. maybe a fiber optic sight too. that might help my sight picture a bit

Michael J. Spangler
05-04-2016, 08:58 PM
I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead to see if anyone can run the bullet and seating info above with a load of 6.0 and 6.5 grains of Universal Clays please?

I'm reading an article from handloader over again and seeing 6.8 with a 240 grain.

In wondering what a little less heat would yield with a 5" barrel.

I have shot some loaded over 6.0 with good results. Wondering what type of pressure it was running at though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk