PDA

View Full Version : thermometer question

paralaska
12-29-2014, 08:31 PM
I bought one of the lyman casting thermometers. How long does it take to give a good accurate reading? And, can you just leave it in the pot the whole time you are smelting or casting? Or do you just take a reading then remove it?
Thanks

Idz
12-29-2014, 08:36 PM
It should stabilize within 30 seconds or so. You want to read towards the center of the pot, if you're too close to the edge you may get a higher reading from the heating elements. I usually read it and remove just so it doesn't get in my way. It shouldn't hurt the thermometer to be left in place.

country gent
12-29-2014, 08:38 PM
When smelting I take a reading and remove it, I dont want all the crud on it and getting banged around. Alloying I may or may not leave it in the pot. Casting it staus in the pot except when Im fluxing then it and the mount are removed to allow me to stir better with no pockets to hold any crud. I dont want the flames and or smoke from fluxing to melt discolor or stain any thing. My mount simply hangs on the side of the pot and holds the thermometer about an 1" of the bottom. It has a 3/8" pipe nipple that sets over it with about an 1" of thermometer exposed at bottom. This acts as a heat shield as the pot lowers helpingto keep breezes wind and ambient temps affecting the readings.

MrWolf
12-29-2014, 10:08 PM
I just wrapped a hanger around mine and it sits in the middle of the pot. Nice and simple.

scottfire1957
12-30-2014, 03:01 AM
RTFM. It's a thermometer, not rocket surgery.

xr650
12-30-2014, 11:30 AM

Really?
I see your all knowed up on all the tools. :roll:

scottfire1957
12-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Really?
I see your all knowed up on all the tools. :roll:

Some. Not all. I can read though, if it has a manual.

62chevy
12-31-2014, 01:57 PM

Well I'll be and I thought that was only said on Linux forums or are you a Linux guru too.

flylot
12-31-2014, 02:32 PM
Silly me, I thought it perfectly reasonable question,myself.i discovered that often with many items, there is the usual operating parameters or procedures, then there is technique. I though the question was more a question of technique...... but then, I could be wrong. :-)

jeepyj
12-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Rocket science? Maybe Not however it is a good question. A while back when I purchased a new to me Pro Melt I wanted to see where I was for temperature so I made a device to hold my casting thermometer in the center of my pot. After a fashion I noticed the the temperature was dropping a bit so I turned up the pot a bit after a little while later it seem to drop a bit more so after thinking a bit I pulled the probe out and noticed it had some build-up on the probe. I cleaned it off and the reading went up by 20+/- degrees. So now If I'm in question of temperature I put in in for a few minutes and that the necessary readings and pull it back out. Oh and now that I think of it I bought mine from a heating supply company on the Internet darn if I could find any casting instructions in the package. Happy casting!
jeepyj

lightman
12-31-2014, 07:47 PM
I leave mine in the pot, whether casting or smelting. I built a simple bracket to hold the thermometer on both pots. Mine comes up to temp in a few seconds, maybe 10. I don't think it hurts it to leave it in the lead.

scottfire1957
12-31-2014, 09:52 PM
Well I'll be and I thought that was only said on Linux forums or are you a Linux guru too.

Linux is Lucy's brother in the comic strip Peanuts, yes?

62chevy
01-01-2015, 12:22 AM
Linux is Lucy's brother in the comic strip Peanuts, yes?

LOL no.

scottfire1957
01-01-2015, 01:39 AM
I guess sarcasm is beyond you, yes?

RogerDat
01-01-2015, 02:28 AM
Lets see things not covered in the non-existent instructions. Don't have the probe tip against the pot side or bottom. Check the temperature reading against boiling water to make sure it is fairly accurate. If one wants to one can Google temp adjustment for boiling water at given elevation and barometric pressure but I figure it reads around 212 in boiling water it is accurate enough, I guess if I lived at high elevation the difference might be significant.

I use the ladle to move the molten metal around and fluxing involves a good deal of stirring so I don't figure there is too much difference between sides and center.

I leave mine in much of the time, clipped to the side of the pot with the clip it came with. Holds it at an angle into the pot so off the side and off the bottom. I do pull it out to flux with sawdust or bees wax. But most times put it back in. I'm using a to monitor temp, as the pot level falls I may need to turn down the burner to maintain a consistent temp. If I add metal to the melt the temp goes down and I want to wait until it comes back up to continue. It doesn't measure anything useful sitting on the table.

62chevy
01-01-2015, 09:53 AM
I guess sarcasm is beyond you, yes?

LOL no I got it just didn't agree.

Screwbolts
01-01-2015, 10:26 AM
To the OP er, I often leave my NOE thermometer in my casting pots while casting, even the ones that are PID controlled. It gives a second opinion on what the alloy temp is, it isn't a certified accurate and timely re calibrated instrument, so both the PID and thermometer readings are just hopefully repeatable standards, with the available instruments.

If I find trash on the stem I just brush it with a wire brush when removed from hot alloy, Ot tap the stem against the edge of pot befor it solidifies. I bought mine to use, and there are many types of use, what someone else considers normal may be missuse to some, but it is still the use that it was purchased for.

Ken

lwknight
01-01-2015, 10:55 PM
The only reason that I do not leave the thermometer clipped to the side of the pot is that there is so much heat convection from the flame when smelting that it might discolor the painted part of t he gauge.
When casting with electric furnace I usually do keep a thermometer clipped in the melt or did until I got a PID setup.