PDA

View Full Version : 500 Smith and optics

Crawdaddy
12-29-2014, 04:41 PM
In a previous thread I mentioned I had bought an X Frame 500 magnum. The topic mostly ended up being around the muzzle brake and cast boolits. I am happy to report it shoots a 440 grain projectile using 34 grains of 4227 very well. No leading anywhere.

My next question is what are you guys using for optics on yours? Will a Burris Fastfire II hold up to the recoil? My aging eyes just don't like open sights. I do ok out to about fifty yards but after that I cannot focus on the sights and a target.

Last question, anyone have experience with Mountain Molds? Thinking about getting a 600 grain mold. Are they any good?

warboar_21
12-29-2014, 06:47 PM
I had a Burris fastfire II mounted on my 10mm 1911 and it held up fine to the recoil and slide going back into battery. I would think it would work fine with the 500.
I have no experience with mountain molds so I'll leave that to someone else.

Tatume
12-29-2014, 07:47 PM
I have several Burris scopes and red dot optics. Not one of them held up well. Thank goodness for flat rate shipping!

Andrew Mason
12-30-2014, 02:01 AM
what mold were you using? and what lube?

any idea on your velocity??

calshipbuilder
12-30-2014, 01:53 PM
I know a Bushnell TRS 25 holds up well on a 460 S&W

DR Owl Creek
12-30-2014, 02:09 PM
I had a Leupold 2x on mine. Never had a problem with it.

Dave

44man
12-30-2014, 02:50 PM
I have an OLD, OLD Loopy 4X that will take any revolver made. But I called about a Bushnell heads up and Burris and was told NO for heavy recoil.
What you run into is mount systems, one or two little screws that break.
I have broken so much stuff on a .44 Ruger with a 10-1/2" barrel I can't count. Ruined Burris scope tubes of dead soft aluminum, Tasco, Bushnell, Millet red dots. Swift scopes.
Went to Ultra Dot after calling magnum Research and will never go back. I never buy any with adjustable pictures or heads up even if the heads up itself is tough, the mounting might break. Need to spend a fortune for a good one. Will the mount on a Acog or Eotech hold up? I am not spending up to $600 to find out.
Buy a straight Ultra Dot 30mm or 25mm and go. Get extra rings and just use what comes with them, they will hold for a .500 with 3 of them.
Ultra Dot West, best deal.

Tatume
12-30-2014, 02:59 PM
I have to agree with 44man about Ultra Dot red dot sights. I have two of them, and they have given no trouble. They are very small and light too; I like to carry one in my shirt pocket and put it on the gun when I'm ready to shoot.

I've gone back and forth some on sighting equipment. Currently I'm enjoying a Leupold 4x pistol scope, and find that it is very easy to shoot well. When I miss the 100 yard gong I'm surprised.

Crawdaddy
12-30-2014, 04:36 PM
what mold were you using? and what lube?

any idea on your velocity??

Alox applied to the area below the top lube groove with a q tip. Velocity is right at 1500 fps. Lee mold, 501-440

Crawdaddy
12-30-2014, 04:44 PM
Thanks guys. Based on feedback I am looking at the ultra dot and leupold. Probably depend on how I feel at the time I go to order. I like red dots and scopes.

Nobody uses Mountain Molds?

Crawdaddy
12-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Well I did it. I decided on the Ultradot Matchdot II. I'll post pics when I get it in. I ordered an aluminum mount. Hopefully the mount holds up.

crabo
12-31-2014, 12:25 AM
I like being able to have different choices of dot sizes in my Ultradots. I use the larger dots when I am walking and a smaller dot if I want to be precise.

I also stick a 12" square plate out at 150 meters, and sitting in a chair, set one of the larger dots on top of the plate and it drops them in if I do my part. I've got it on my PC 44 mag.

I have my BILs's 500 and am about to start working up loads for it and will use a Leupold 2X, or a Leupold 2.5-8.

Anyone using the NOE 350 grain boolit?

Tatume
12-31-2014, 08:13 AM
I'd be worried about any variable standing up to extreme recoil, even a Leupold. Have you tried a Leupold 4x?

bobthenailer
12-31-2014, 09:35 AM
IMO Get whatever with a lifetime warrenty ! I prefer a red dot sight over a scope , a ultra dot is a excellent choice ! IMO get a 30mm tube, use 3 mounting rings if possible , and stay away from multi reticles , they dont allways track true, usually ok at short distances, more critical as distances increase and its a weak point/ something else to brake in heavy recoiling calibers.

If you have to get a Burris fast fire get the FF-3 the battery can be changed from a top trap door and the dot has a user 4 adj dot brightness levels.a step up from the FF-2 unit. will they hold up on a heavy recoiling hand gun ? works ok on 4 slide mounted semi auto pistols.

Mountian Moulds are A+ have two of them !

Porterhouse
12-31-2014, 11:36 AM
Can't comment on optics as I only use factory open sight.
But I have many molds made by Mountain Molds. Excellent products. They make exactly what you design with the program. You need to know what you want with the shape, lube groove, etc. If you are not sure with the details but just want to go with heavy, LBT is never a mistake.

Tatume
12-31-2014, 02:11 PM
My preference is for the 1" Ultra Dot. The 1" sight looks better, and works just as well. They are so light that extra rings are not needed.

Crawdaddy
12-31-2014, 05:57 PM
I like being able to have different choices of dot sizes in my Ultradots.

I have my BILs's 500 and am about to start working up loads for it and will use a Leupold 2X,

If you find one you like can you send it to me?

crabo
12-31-2014, 08:52 PM
Crawdaddy, are you talking about the NOE boolit load? I figure a 350 grain boolit going about 1200 fps ought to be a great plinking load in that heavy of a gun, plus it will knock about anything down.

44man
01-01-2015, 10:47 AM
I see they hunted Africa with the .500 S&W and used the Eotek. It holds up to everything but my wallet. I see only dust when I open it. I refuse to pay more for a scope then a gun costs.
But watch even the Ultra Dots with adjustable pictures. Their heads up is not tough with the mount either. I would not buy a Match Dot. If you do, sight with only one picture and only use that one.

Crawdaddy
01-01-2015, 11:22 PM
Crawdaddy, are you talking about the NOE boolit load? I figure a 350 grain boolit going about 1200 fps ought to be a great plinking load in that heavy of a gun, plus it will knock about anything down.

Anything that you find you really like as you are working up loads for you BIL. With the amount of lead these send down range at a sitting, I would like to try something that might work out of the gate for me.

The 440 gr load with 34 grs of 4227 is working out real well but I wouldn't mind trying lighter and heavier boolits too.

I think I am going to order a Mountain Mold that casts 600 gr boolits and play with that a bit.

Crawdaddy
01-11-2015, 08:14 PM
The Ultadot came in and got it mounted.

I went to the range today and sighted it in. It took about 10 rounds to get it where I wanted.

I was able to put three shot groups at 25 yards at about 2 inches or so. At 50 they opened up to about 3.5. At 75 where I did the bulk of my shots I was able to put 100 percent of my shots in a paper plate. Overall I am very happy.

Once the flinch factor goes away, I think I can shrink those considerably.

I put about 100 shots down range and the Ultradot held up. It didn't slide in the mount and never drifted.

Thanks for the advice, it was obviously good.