PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Armory XDS 45ACP

Lefty Red
12-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Had a LEO brother that wanted/needed my G26 more than I did. Seems like they are in short supply around here (G27s as well). He knew I had one and was thinking of trading for something else for EDC. He had a SA XDS in 45ACP and we traded (with some boot to me). Now he has a good BUG/Off Duty Carry that takes his G17 magazines.

So, this one was built in July so after the recall. I shot 50 rounds of 230 grains FMJ through it yesterday. Not bad. Its a very controlable weapon, but the Talon grip wrap is coming in a few days! LOL Holding off on XS Big Dot sights till I decide if I am going to keep it or not.

Anyone have anything negative to say about them? I know they are not a target pistols, but I feel its accurate enough (more than enough) for self defense ranges and EDC. But then I am use to the Big Dot sights over the standard 3 dot sights, so that may change. But even then the spread is about the same as my Glocks at 7-10 yards, just bigger holes! LOL

Was going to get a Shield or Nano in 9mm for EDC, the G26 was getting replaced. Now I have this 45, and don't know now. Would have liked to have the XDS in 9mm, since I reload allot in this caliber and have the SD ammo already. But the trade was profitable and it went to a good working home. So I will shoot it for awhile and see what happens in the next few weeks. Now looking for a good OWB holster for it. And I must say the weight doesn't bother me. Its nice and flat and carries as well as the Shield or Nano. I just know its there a bit more.

Anyways, any bad issues I need to know?

Jerry

mattw
12-29-2014, 09:17 AM
My buddy and I each have one in 45, we can't say enough good about them. My 12yo daughter likes to shoot it with 185 full house reloads as well. I find it to be a natural pointer out to about 7 yards. I practice draw and fire without sights and hit in the 9 ring about 75% of the time. Do wish it held one more round, but if placed well there are plenty.

pworley1
12-29-2014, 09:39 AM
I have had no issues with mine.

Lefty Red
12-29-2014, 10:10 AM
Any cast boolit or weight you found it likes over another? I am thinking a 185/200 grain bullet would be good in the shorter barrel.

Jerry

FlatTop45LC
12-29-2014, 11:18 AM
I personally carry the Shield 40 and wouldn't have anything else, but my Boss owns the XDS 45 and I have shot it a bunch. With any decent load it is more accurate than needed at self defense range and quite controllable.

kencha
12-29-2014, 01:00 PM
Mine is an earlier one. It's been back to SA twice: once for the recall, and before that for a trigger blade safety that launched itself who-knows-where.

I don't care for how it chewed up the base of the recoil guide rod, although that seems to have stopped getting any worse, or how the slide won't return completely to battery on its own if the slide is bumped backwards with a loaded chamber.

It also has a short lead/throat from chamber to rifling. All of the ball and XTP rounds I had loaded for use in my 1911s were too long to function in the XDS. The XDS requires a shorter COAL than I had been loading or the bullet will jam into the rifling, either not fully going into battery, or if it did, it would be nearly impossible to budge the slide to cycle the action on a live round.

Ha, I was also an early buyer of the Crimson Trace Laserguard for the XDS too. Wouldn't hold zero. CT told me I must have installed it wrong. Then they come out with the updated design that added the little ears for windage stability. A definite improvement, but I still think they could have done much better on this one. I love the other CT products I own.

I really wanted to like the XDS, but I don't know if I'll ever trust mine enough for carry. I did finally learn my lesson in not being a guinea pig for gun companies any longer though. I won't be buying anything firearm related that hasn't been on the market for at least a year. Let someone else be their beta testers.

I do like the Talon grip wrap, FWIW. :)

Gunor
12-29-2014, 01:45 PM
My 45 XDS is a runner. Load your ammo so it fits the gun. I did get a spring kit to help the trigger. Also got the Pierce (spelling?) grip extension - well worth it. Might have to look at the Talon grip tape.

Geoff in Oregon

LUCKYDAWG13
12-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Mine is an earlier one. It's been back to SA twice: once for the recall, and before that for a trigger blade safety that launched itself who-knows-where.

I don't care for how it chewed up the base of the recoil guide rod, although that seems to have stopped getting any worse, or how the slide won't return completely to battery on its own if the slide is bumped backwards with a loaded chamber.

I do like the Talon grip wrap, FWIW. :)

I had to send mine back twice two for the same things. but all is good now. have over 1500 rounds through it now
I do trust it and carry it about 99.9% of the time. and dont get the sandpaper Talon grips get the Rubber ones

paralaska
12-29-2014, 07:55 PM
I bought a 45 xds and have been carrying it for the last couple months . . . I'm impressed with it's durability and simplicity. I also put on a crimson trace and pinky finger extension on the magazine. I prefer my 1911s, but the xds is easier to stick in a pocket. As far as accuracy, it's actually better than I expected and more than sufficient for close up defense.

Lefty Red
12-30-2014, 02:08 AM
and dont get the sandpaper Talon grips get the Rubber ones

I did! The rubber ones is all I ever get.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-30-2014, 08:35 AM
i have been using this holster for about a year now http://www.whitehatholsters.com/basemax/?sort=pricedesc

Groo
12-30-2014, 01:44 PM
Groo here
Go to the XD forums [ there more than one] some have put 45super/450smc through theirs as a woods load, carry but shoot little.

Lefty Red
12-30-2014, 03:57 PM
Groo here
Go to the XD forums [ there more than one] some have put 45super/450smc through theirs as a woods load, carry but shoot little.

I think I will keep mine at standard pressure or +p! LOL

Lefty Red
12-30-2014, 04:00 PM
Well, I have shot this 45 allot over the last three days. Makes me wish I got a 45ACP progressive press now!
I did take some birthday and Christmas money and some overtime and buy another XDS in 9mm. Yeah its $125 more than the S&W Shield, but I like the feel of the XDS and feel better about the grip safety.

Jerry

Lefty Red
12-30-2014, 04:05 PM
i have been using this holster for about a year now http://www.whitehatholsters.com/basemax/?sort=pricedesc

I have put in an order for a OWB holster!

DougGuy
12-30-2014, 04:08 PM
If you're sizing to .452" you might find some boolits don't want to go into battery if the shoulder is tight to go into the throat. Other than that, I think they are fine.

Lefty Red
12-30-2014, 06:27 PM
If you're sizing to .452" you might find some boolits don't want to go into battery if the shoulder is tight to go into the throat. Other than that, I think they are fine.

I will pick up a .451" sizer to be on the safe side. Thanks for the heads up!
Jerry

AnthonyB
12-30-2014, 06:45 PM
I had an XDS 45. Took it to the range, along with my wife, and then I didn't have an XDS 45 anymore. Bought another XDS 45, took it to Kentucky to visit a buddy, and then to the range. After shooting the XDS, one of his buddies offered a LNIB 629-1 in trade, and then I didn't have an XDS anymore. Bought another XDS 45, and then oldest son turned 21 and was picking out his birthday present (any handgun you want was the category). Before he made his decision, I bought another XDS 45. Now, I still have ONE XDS 45!
Mine does have a tighter chamber than my Kimber and requires ammo crafted for it. As I am shooting up the thousands of rounds I have loaded for the Kimber, they are being replaced with ammo that will run in the XDS. XDS spec ammo runs fine in the Kimber, Colt's, and multiple Glocks.
All that said, I prefer the Shield for carry here in Northern VA. I suspect that preference will change when I get back to AL.
Tony

762 shooter
12-30-2014, 06:53 PM
I put my Series 70-1911 to bed in the safe after I got my XDS 45.

It is one bad little mama-jama.

bnelson06
12-30-2014, 08:27 PM
I have also been loading my rounds to run in my XDs after they are fired through the kimber. It is a very nice shooting gun. I wouldn't put it on a pedestal above my 1911's as far as a preferred shooter but it does carry nicely.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-30-2014, 08:35 PM
one thing about the XDs you need to stand on a 18 x 20 tarp to find your brass. and at least 1 of them
will come right back at you and hit you in the face.

charlie b
12-30-2014, 09:03 PM
I have to say that I like my full size XD a lot. Not as accurate as my well tuned 1911, but, more reliable when dirty. Mine is my field carry/bedside/truck gun. I love the trigger on it.

Lefty Red
12-30-2014, 09:07 PM
I had an XDS 45. Took it to the range, along with my wife, and then I didn't have an XDS 45 anymore. Bought another XDS 45, took it to Kentucky to visit a buddy, and then to the range. After shooting the XDS, one of his buddies offered a LNIB 629-1 in trade, and then I didn't have an XDS anymore. Bought another XDS 45, and then oldest son turned 21 and was picking out his birthday present (any handgun you want was the category). Before he made his decision, I bought another XDS 45. Now, I still have ONE XDS 45!
Mine does have a tighter chamber than my Kimber and requires ammo crafted for it. As I am shooting up the thousands of rounds I have loaded for the Kimber, they are being replaced with ammo that will run in the XDS. XDS spec ammo runs fine in the Kimber, Colt's, and multiple Glocks.
All that said, I prefer the Shield for carry here in Northern VA. I suspect that preference will change when I get back to AL.
Tony

Tony,
Did the XDS need a 451" bullet?
Jerry

bnelson06
12-31-2014, 06:52 PM
I load mine with .452's just had to change the col a bit, I don't think these have much throat in the barrel.

Lefty Red
01-01-2015, 04:27 PM
Tony

S&W hit a home run with the Shield! I have coworkers that carry both the 9 and 40 as EDC. Mostly the 9 though. I may STILL get one and the Nano just to have. I am weird like that. Always liked those carry all the time and have it with pocket pistols and snubbies.

Jerry

Lefty Red
01-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Well, got my XDS 9mm today. I like it! Hand is sore, I shot 300 rounds of casted and plated bullets to break it in. Then shot about 50 rounds of self defense/carry ammo it see if they fed. All did. I choice the Hornady 147gr FTX. Great groups. Buddy brought out his Shield to see what ammo he wanted to carry. He choice 115 grain FTXs. Critical Defense I think.

I put 200 more through the 45 XDS as well. I went to lunch first! LOL. I really wanted the Talon grips, but they have yet to come. And I wouldn't get another chance to shoot for week or so. The XDS still impresses me. Yeah, the 6 rounds go quick, but man is it accurate. I will post some pictures. The Hornady Custom 230 grain +P grouped and feed great. As did the standard Speer Gold Dots 230 grain and some generic Hornady HAPs, also 230 grain.

I got the pair home and did a detailed break down and cleaning. Not bad really. I like the design. Can't wait to get Big Dots on them.

Jerry

Lefty Red
01-03-2015, 12:35 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/02/d73fdd4bd7a7e48af88e37deb32c1e17.jpg

BTW, you can not accidentally put the 45 mag into the 9's or vice versa.

Lefty Red
01-03-2015, 12:37 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/02/9c68d0592ed180dfea0eea1d87becf20.jpg

First few rounds out of the NIB XDS 9mm. Very controllable.

Lefty Red
01-03-2015, 12:39 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/02/41da02d6e9146a7b2a35414e7a914f25.jpg

Last 21 rounds from the 300 that I shot to break the 9mm in. 7 yards, drawn and fired from holster. I like it!!!!

Lefty Red
01-03-2015, 12:41 AM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/01/02/d3bb3854d78d2a3b79bf2aa1e97b8a8e.jpg

6 rounds of +P 230 grain JHP from the 45.
Fired from 7 yards and drawn from holster.
If that doesn't stop something, then I am way over my head!