PDA

View Full Version : Green Dot confusion

Thundermaker
12-29-2014, 04:18 AM
Been a while since I've posted here. I've always gotten good advice here, and now I wish to pick your brains once more.

After a 3-year search, I've finally acquired my dream revolver, A SAA with a 5 1/2" barrel. My example was produced by Uberti and imported by Tristar sporting arms as the "regulator". I got it NIB at an auction for a steal.

I am in the process of developing a load for a 200 grain SWC from my saeco mold. I'm using a pound of Hercules green dot that was given to me. It was purchased in the 90's and the seal was broken two days ago. I have hit a snag.

My Lyman manual lists a starting load of 6.9 grains with a velocity of 936fps. Their test gun is a 7 1/2" blackhawk. I just decided to start with 7 grains. I figured that would give me somewhere around the listed velocity, which was plenty fast for me, and give me 1000 rounds to the pound. I loaded some 45 acp with the same bullet and whatever load of longshot they were using. Their listed velocity was about 900 fps.

We took a trip to a friends house to shoot at some steel swingers. My friends were first up with their ACPs. They were able to flip the swingers with 3 shots. My lc loads hit with all the authority of a marble from a whamo slingshot. With all the soot all over my hands and the gun, you'd think I was shooting black powder. This puzzled me, so I hit the net. That's when the confusion started.

Lyman lists a starting load of 6.9 grains @ 936 fps and a Max of 7.7 @ over 1,000fps.

Alliant (formerly Hercules) lists a starting load of 8.3 grains @ 936 fps from a 5 1/2" colt saa.

2" of barrel doesn't explain that difference. What's going on? Anybody using green dot for their 45lc?

jabo52521
12-29-2014, 05:03 AM
Welcome to the party. My Ruger blackhawk sports a 5.5" barrel and loves your load of 7 grains of green dot. However I'm shooting a 255 grain round nose flat point. A little dirty but a thumper. Maybe the heavier boolit helps burn the powder.

dubber123
12-29-2014, 08:52 AM
Light boolit, and a light charge in a big case equals a not so efficient burn, and not much power either. My Speer manual lists 8.3 grains as max in a Colt SAA with a 200 gr. boolit. I'd start sneaking up on a higher charge. Have fun.

Uncle Grinch
12-29-2014, 10:22 AM
Make sure you have a good crimp also. A heavy pull promotes a more complete burn.

Thundermaker
12-29-2014, 11:18 AM
Maybe I need to switch to a bulkier powder?

skeet1
12-29-2014, 11:43 AM
Thundermaker (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?33021-Thundermaker)
I think your powder choice is OK but you just need to step it up a bit. Don't give up just yet. I just looked in a fairly new "Alliant Reloader's Guide" and they list a max load of 8.3 gr. of Green Dot with at 200 gr. LSWC at 980 FPS for the .45 Colt.

Ken

Thundermaker
12-29-2014, 01:08 PM
Yes, and that's still a huge difference from what the Lyman guide says. I think I'll switch primers and see if that helps.

dubber123
12-29-2014, 06:50 PM
Many manuals keep velocities way low on their lead boolit loads, not due to pressure, but to help ward off leading. If lyman quit at 7.7 grains, it was probably because it was at their self imposed velocity limit, not a pressure limit. A higher charge weight, or a heavier boolit is about all that will help you out. The heavy crimp mentioned by Uncle Grinch will help too, but you shouldn't need it.

leadman
12-30-2014, 07:43 PM
Check the sizing die and expander die. Some, like the old set I had did not size down the cases enough for boolits under .454".

clum553946
01-01-2015, 09:58 PM
Many manuals keep velocities way low on their lead boolit loads, not due to pressure, but to help ward off leading. If lyman quit at 7.7 grains, it was probably because it was at their self imposed velocity limit, not a pressure limit. A higher charge weight, or a heavier boolit is about all that will help you out. The heavy crimp mentioned by Uncle Grinch will help too, but you shouldn't need it.

I agree with dubber123, 255 gr bullet with a good, moderate crimp will more than likely solve your issues.