PDA

View Full Version : Trying to be humble...

lovedogs
02-19-2008, 05:06 PM
Boys and girls... I'm trying to remain my normal humble regular self but today it's a challenge. I just got off the phone from talking with Jeff Johnston of the NRA's American Hunter Magazine. I know... some don't particularly like the NRA, but that's not my point today. Some time ago I met a fellow hunter through a magazine story and my following up on it with an e-mail. Anyway, we became friends so I sent him a story that I'd written one day about a coyote hunt. For years I've written stories just to keep and look back at later. Over the years I've shared them with family and friends. It appears that some think they're entertaining. Anyway, this friend knew Mr. Johnston and sent a copy of the story to him. Lo and behold, they happened to be looking for this type of story at the time. Guess what! The story is coming out in the March issue of the American Hunter. I know I'm no Jack O'Connor or Jim Carmichael but it's pretty cool when you get published in a national magazine like this. I'm just a regular guy like the rest of you. No one special. But it's nice to be able to be recognized like this. If any of you read it, let me know what you think of it.

Best Regards, Mike

sundog
02-19-2008, 05:13 PM
dat's purdy cool. go on ahead and grin ear-to-ear!

clintsfolly
02-19-2008, 05:14 PM
way to go clint

bullshot
02-19-2008, 05:24 PM
Maybe the beginning of something great. Best of luck.

felix
02-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Congrats on being able to feel good about something. Just like you said in your post/memo, luck depends on your being in the pond when the big wave arrives and you are entirely ready for the challenge. Trouble is, when the wave hits you on the back of the head, that means it is time to move on before you drown. It's always greener on the other side of the fence, sooner or later. ... felix

SPRINGFIELDM141972
02-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Congratulations, thats great!

Regards,
Everett

Ghugly
02-19-2008, 05:37 PM
Screw humble...........be proud of yourself. Congratulations!

danski26
02-19-2008, 06:16 PM
Outstanding!

lovedogs
02-19-2008, 06:20 PM
Thanks for all the encouragement, ya all. You know what's really odd? Before I have even gotten my copy of the mag some outfit is calling me on the phone with an offer to make a plaque with photos, lamenated copy of the article, gold lettering, etc., etc.... all kinds of fancy stuff. Boy, what a sales pitch. They went on and on about this fancy plaque. And guess what? It's only $149!! Don't think I'm interested in that price. Boy, one moment of fame and the vultures come out of the woodwork. I'd hate to actually be famous. Can you imagine what it must be like for those poor movie stars? It's okay for now though; I'll enjoy my moment. If any of you read the article please let me know... and give me your honest opinion. Thanks, ya all!!

eka
02-19-2008, 06:59 PM
That's outstanding. You have every right to be proud of yourself. You know, even Skeeter Skelton and like penmen started with that lowly first story. Just take it for whatever comes of it and enjoy it. Congratulations!

Keith

tanstafl10
02-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Hey Lovedogs, how about an autograph.... !

Bret4207
02-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Good for you! My dream as a youngster was to be an outdoor writer in the mould of Ted Trueblood, Joe Brooks, Clyde Ormond, Elmer or Skeeter. Somehow that image of myself in the fedora hat with the straight stemmed pipe in hand, wearing comfortable old khakis just never came to be. Of course that type of writer went out with numbering fly lines alphabetically (HCH), crepe soled boots and considering the 222 Mag a new cartridge.

Enough reminiscing! Good for you and best of luck with more of it!

AZ-Stew
02-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Been there. Feels great, doesn't it?

Too bad we lowly freelancers don't get paid anyway near what we're worth [smilie=1:

Oh, well. It might net you enough to buy a new mould!

Congrats!

Regards,

Stew

Bass Ackward
02-19-2008, 07:43 PM
Good for you.

Going to be great status for this board you writting a story about cast hunting.

Did you mention the site? :grin:

bisleyfan41
02-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Congratulations Mike! That's cool! I had to run and see which issue was the current one...February. Oh well, March should be on it's way soon. So I'll sit here with baited breath waitin'......I'm sure it's a good article. Congrats again.

DLCTEX
02-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Congratulations! Something I've given thought to for years, but realize that I don''t have the passion to write full time. I'm looking forward to reading your story. DALE

LeadThrower
02-19-2008, 08:22 PM
That's fantastic! Being able to create something that brings enjoyment to others and being recognized for it is sensational. Congrats!

grumpy one
02-19-2008, 08:32 PM
I'd hate to actually be famous. Can you imagine what it must be like for those poor movie stars?

You just need the right kind of personality to be able to rise to the challenge. I recall reading an interview with the star of a fairly short-lived western TV series many years ago. The guy was in Australia on vacation, and may have been off guard a bit for that reason. Anyway, the interviewer asked him if he had any comment on his reputation for lacking humility. The guy replied that he was extremely humble. "Why, there isn't a day goes by that I don't thank God for my appearance, my stature, and my talent." I'm sorry Lovedogs, I just don't think you've got it in you to turn into that kind of guy. You'll probably just remain a decent human being, instead.

jim4065
02-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Shoot - I get the Rifleman. Any chance someone can post the article? Or, if that's forbidden, can I download it somewhere else? Anyway, congratulations. Seems that many write but few are published.

DLCTEX
02-19-2008, 09:18 PM
I had gotten the mail out of thr old rural box but was headed to the old computer to check things out here, so didn't notice that the American Hunter was in the mail. After checking things out here, there it was! Good story, well done. DALE

2muchstuf
02-19-2008, 09:33 PM
I get the Rifleman too, but my stepson gets the Hunter (we're both life members)
Just read the article. NICE JOB Mike. Keep up the good writing.

MT Gianni
02-19-2008, 09:58 PM
Nice read Mike. For those like me who got their Magazine today and didn't see it at first it is inside the back cover. Gianni

mike in co
02-19-2008, 11:42 PM
i get the rifleman, not hunter....
don't suppose we could get the author to authorize a reprint here on cast boolits ?

mike

racepres
02-20-2008, 12:17 AM
Screw humble...........be proud of yourself. Congratulations!

+1 MV

454PB
02-20-2008, 01:52 AM
Congratulations!

I wrote a short article that was published in 1972 in The American Rifleman. They paid me enough to pay for my first Lyman 450 sizer.

bisleyfan41
02-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Congratulations Mike! That's cool! I had to run and see which issue was the current one...February. Oh well, March should be on it's way soon. So I'll sit here with baited breath waitin'......I'm sure it's a good article. Congrats again.

Well upon further review and much more digging, I found that I actually already have the March issue after all. And I'd have to say the article is a good read. Thinnin' the coyotes is a great mission and you seem to have a knack for it. It was cool that the 2nd one stayed around after the 1st got his. I'm sure the landowner, Mr. Doug, is quite happy to have you around. Congrats on the hunt and the article.

lovedogs
02-20-2008, 02:11 PM
You are all too kind. Thanks for all the encouragement. You know what's really weird about all this? I haven't gotten my copy of it yet! One person told me they changed the title of the story. I'm anxious to see how it came out. I don't expect any fame or fortune to come of this. I just like to spin a good yarn and share it. Don't worry about me getting a big head. Whenever I get to thinking too much of myself I just look at the people around me or look in the pages of my Bible and I'm instantly humble again. Thanks again!

Mike

Gussy
02-20-2008, 02:58 PM
I read the story, then saw this post!! Good job, congrats.
Gus

lovedogs
02-24-2008, 09:51 PM
This has been a strange and humbling experience. Sooo many encouragements, even phone calls. I've had calls from as far away as NY., Va., and Co. The really odd thing is that I had to read my own story in someone else's magazine. They still haven't gotten a copy to me. Strange, huh? Again, thank you all for your comments.

crabo
02-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Thanks for the tip about keeping the caller running while you shoot. I enjoyed the article.

Crabo

RugerFan
02-25-2008, 01:44 PM
Outstanding! Be looking forward to reading that one.:coffee:

lovedogs
02-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Dog gone! I'm beside myself, don't know what to say anymore. Now the local paper has picked it up and is going to print it. The whole cotton-pickin' town is gonna see it! All this for just a little story. Humbling! I'm really at a loss for words. And that's not good for someone who likes to talk and write about things.

MT Gianni
02-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Best start sending out autographs. Dont give out signed blank checks though, Gianni

Marlin Junky
02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
We don't get the "Hunter", just the "Rifleman". Is there anyway you could PM a copy of the article to me? Coyote hunting in E. MT is one of the things I really want to do when I move to the east slope of the Big Horns. Do you know Les Johnson?

Congratulations,
MJ

kodiak1
02-27-2008, 08:58 PM
Top shelf lovedogs!!!!!

A quote from Full Metal Jacket Jeez H Christ Joker you another Mikey Spollaine?

Ken.

waksupi
02-27-2008, 09:29 PM
We don't get the "Hunter", just the "Rifleman". Is there anyway you could PM a copy of the article to me? Coyote hunting in E. MT is one of the things I really want to do when I move to the east slope of the Big Horns. Do you know Les Johnson?

Congratulations,
MJ

ditto!

Scrounger
02-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Top shelf lovedogs!!!!!

A quote from Full Metal Jacket Jeez H Christ Joker you another Mikey Spollaine?

Ken.

"Full Metal jacket" was the movie version of a book titled "The Short Timers".

lovedogs
02-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Marlin Junky... no I don't know Les Johnson. I'd PM you a copy of the story but am not well versed with this computer stuff. The only way they could fit the story on the page in the magazine was to edit it down some. They also edited some of the more gory details out of the story. I suppose for "political correctness". So the only copy I have on my computer isn't quite the same as what's in the magazine. I was a little upset at their editing but upon reflection, they didn't really change the story. It was just slightly condensed. You mention the east slope of the Big Horns. Where are you thinking about, exactly? Actually, any part of the mountain states that isn't up in the mountains, that is in the plains or foothills, will have plenty of coyotes. The best areas are the ones that have little pressure. Where I am they are highly pressured so are harder to call in and shoot.

PatMarlin
03-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Wish I could see a copy.

I'm deep in the mountains and deep in coyotes, that have not been hunted.

Well congradulations. Now you're officially published and that's the first step in getting your foot in all the doors.

Just don't talk bad about black rifles... :mrgreen:

lovedogs
03-02-2008, 12:56 PM
Pat... surely you can find someone who has a copy.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm about to say. I really appreciate all the encouragement. And I especially appreciate the applause from my peers. No matter how we want to look at it, we here are like a brotherhood. We are the true Americans. To me, the opinions of those who aren't like us don't really matter much to me. They are either uninformed or just plain wrong. So to hear praise from our ranks means more than you can know, unless you've experienced it yourself. Then you know what it's like. But what I think I need to say is this... Have you ever noted that sometimes when someone, for whatever reason, gains some notoriety; when they are trying to give a speech, or make some sort of appearance.... there is so much applause that they can't speak. Or they are hounded so much, so much attention is given that it just isn't right. No one is worthy of that much attention. As an observer, you just want to say, "Hey, enough. Be quiet. Enough already." Anyway, this is how I am starting to feel. I just write for my own enjoyment. I record some of my hunting experiences so I can later refer back to them and recall it. We all like reliving our good times. For many years I've shared these stories with friends and family. For years I've been encouraged to get something published. Well, now it's happened. And it's almost too much. As much as I appreciate all the kudos I'd kind of like it all to stop. It's too much. If I ever have anything else that gets into print all of you can read it, hopefully enjoy it, then say, "Hey, this guy is one of us. But he's not looking for any glory. He's just doing what he does, he's sharing it with us." That's all the praise I need. Thanks for all the nice remarks. With this I'd like to get on with what this site is about. Let's pour some dog gone bullets and share whatever the experience gives us with each other. Amen.

Best Regards to All, Mike