PDA

View Full Version : Tripleheader with New Moulds!

TXGunNut
12-28-2014, 09:27 PM
Finally got around to putting those new moulds to work casting boolits instead of holding down a hotplate, LOL. Between hunting season, work and a few other major distractions all I could do was look at them as I walked by for the last few months.
First up was the 360-230 (RD) NOE 5-cavity mould, brainchild of our own Beagle333. Got it up to temp quickly and as soon as I got my cadence down it was dropping nice boolits and I had 50 or so good ones in short order. Next up was the Accurate 322-170A. I figured it wasn't sitting flat on the hotplate; did several pours and couldn't get rid of the wrinkles.
Moved on to the 310-164 designed by our own frnkeore. Decided I like 4-cav moulds better than 5-cav, fits better under a Lee bottom-pour IMHO. No problem getting it up to temp, it and the 360-230 both dropped boolits with minor persuasion if any. Soon, I had a nice little pile of frnkeore's boolits and it was time to try the Accurate mould again.
This time the sprue plate was about 300 degrees but that wasn't hot enough. Wrinkles got smaller as I increased my cadence and after several pours I finally had some boolits that didn't need a trip back to the pot. Boolits dropped with minor, if any persuasion and I made a few too many. Once that little mould got going it was hard to stop, :-) had quite a few culls due to my learning curve but I really like that Accurate mould. It's my first from Tom but I had little doubt it would do a good job for me...as soon as I figured out that it likes to go hot & fast, really hot & fast. :shock:
I'm pumped! I have three beautiful new moulds that work well and drop some boolits that I'm excited about trying. I thought Lee and NOE multi-cav's liked to run fast, this new Accurate mould made me get with the program before it decided to drop some pretty boolits. :bigsmyl2:
I was going to run them thru the sizer but I went to the kitchen to take a break and saw some birds taking a bath in a puddle in the front yard. Hmmmm. Can't recall last time it rained but it was well over a week ago. :? Went outside for a better look and sure enough, I had a .2 acre lake. Took a few hours to find the leak; started digging where I thought the water was coming up but this old gumbo dirt led me on a merry chase and I was muddy up past my knees and pretty cold & wet by the time I got the leaky joint exposed. Decided sundown was a good time to quit. Cold, wet, muddy and dark is a bit more than I want to deal with tonight. :redneck:

Oh well, at least I have some pretty boolits to play with someday soon.

Ben
12-28-2014, 09:35 PM
Rocking & Rolling ! !

Yodogsandman
12-28-2014, 10:11 PM
Glad to hear you found some time to finally mold up some boolits from your new molds, even if just momentarily.

Good luck with your new pond. How bout adding some nice koi fish.

TXGunNut
12-29-2014, 12:14 AM
Glad to hear you found some time to finally mold up some boolits from your new molds, even if just momentarily.

Good luck with your new pond. How bout adding some nice koi fish.

I've considered a pond but the location's all wrong. Besides; gotta dig the hole first, THEN fill it with water.

TXGunNut
12-29-2014, 12:20 AM
Rocking & Rolling ! !

Indeed, been too long! Finally got my cadence down for each mould and made notes for each. Only one minor burn. Life is good!....except for that unfinished plumbing job out front and no water in the house tonight. :-)

35 shooter
12-29-2014, 12:58 AM
Hate to hear about the leak, hope it's an easy fix. Good to hear about the casting cause i'm hoping you and yodogsandman find a good load for that 360230 boolit for me before long.:popcorn:
It sure is a good looking boolit. I've got to shoot it a couple of times but no real luck so far.Had some more loaded for over a month i guess and haven't had a chance to shoot since.
I'm jealous of all the new moulds you have...couldn't find just what i wanted on the last noe sale, so i just put something on the wish list!
Good to hear your back at it! I haven't been to the range in so long now i'm having withdrawal pains lol!

TXGunNut
12-29-2014, 01:18 AM
Yes, it was a very good year for new moulds and old leverguns.:bigsmyl2: Quite frankly, I've lost track. Best guess is four of each. (Now I can't afford to hire a plumber, lol.)
Have resolved to spend 2015 playing with these and other moulds in my stable and have no intentions to purchase any other than one on my wish list and another group buy that may make. Will try very hard not to let any leverguns (or other rifles) follow me home in 2015 as well. We'll see how that goes. :popcorn:
Pretty excited about the RD 360-230 myself, other two promise to be quite entertaining as well. Shooting buddy and I have older 32WS rifles that are a bit picky with boolits and this one looks like just the ticket. The frnkeore boolit is a continuation of a low-cost 30-30 plinker project I started awhile back, the boolit I was using is a GC design and this new PB boolit will hopefully reduce my plinking costs with this rifle.

35 shooter
12-29-2014, 02:05 AM
LOL you might slack off some of those nice levers and let one or two make it's way to Ms. I'm due a good lever when i find another in the shape i want.
Still kicking myself for walking away from that centennial winchester with full length stock in 30/30 with a MINT bore and adjustable rear flip up sight. How much fun would that have been with cast? 450.00 and the saleman said he thought they would take 400.00 if i pushed the manager a bit. Not a scratch on it and i just walked away....there was not a scratch anywhere on that gun and other than the factory, i don't believe it had been fired.
Okay...so congrats on the new moulds and i suddenly feel the need to go kick myself some more.

TXGunNut
12-29-2014, 09:28 PM
Trust me, I'm slacking off. It's been frustrating knowing those old rifles and new moulds weren't going to get any use for a few months but the freezer's full, ingots are stacked up and plenty of WW's out in the shed. It takes me months to figure out a rifle sometimes. I have plenty to keep me busy while I rebuild my cash reserves.
Just got in from turning on the water and checking my handiwork. If you're keeping score at home it's TXGunNut 1, plumbers 0. ;-) Certainly hope that's a final score, lol.

texassako
01-01-2015, 11:25 PM
Glad your leak is fixed. I am about to end up having a triple header of my own with 3 new NOE molds I can't find time for. Hopefully minus the plumbing adventure, but there have been a curious number of front lawns dug up here lately.

TXGunNut
01-02-2015, 01:51 AM
I had the pleasure of sizing, heat-treating and lubing the 360-230 boolits today, sized and lubed the others as well. Sized and tumbled some cases so may get to send some of these boolits downrange soon.
Yes, my yard apparently did a bit of shifting recently. When I cut out the bad section the cut ends no longer lined up, made for an interesting repair. I hope you miss out on the plumbing adventure as well. Was nasty enough a few days ago but doing that repair today would have been unpleasant, to say the least.

TXGunNut
01-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Finally got around to loading a few test rounds today, 30-30 and 32WS boolits were loaded over 16grs 2400. 360-230 was a bit more complicated, going for a moderate charge of IMR4350 and a few variations of a IMR4895 load that showed promise with a similar boolit.

TXGunNut
01-04-2015, 02:52 PM
A bit disappointed with the feeding of the 360-230 test rounds in Elly (Ol' Ugly). Rounds from the left side of the magazine feed crooked and the edge of the meplat catches the back end of the barrel. Nothing major, may be able to tune the magazine lips enough to work it out.

35 shooter
01-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Hope the feed problem gets worked out. Also hope this boolit shoots as good as it looks.
Elly sounds like a good "new" name and i'm also curious how the 4895 works out.