PDA

View Full Version : Melters....

RJM52
02-19-2008, 04:22 PM
Ok...so I used to cast a LONG time ago but ended up selling off most of my casting equipment when I started shooting so much I could not cast enough to keep up...

So now it is getting back to quality over quantity and am getting back into casting again.

My question is...do most of you dipper or spout...? I have done both but always had the best luck with a dipper.

What melter? Have been looking at the Lyman MagDipper and the Lee Production pot w/o the spout... Both are 20# units...

Your thoughts would be appreciated...Bob Makowski

NuJudge
02-19-2008, 09:06 PM
If you are casting big bullets, you will need more than a 20 pound pot. I have a 20 pound Lee which I bottom-pour from, with another 10-pound pot that I use as a melter, when I am casting .45 acp bullets.

With the Lee 6-cavity molds I can cast 24 bullets per minute for long periods.

At various times I have liked dipper-pouring, but bottom pouring is so much faster if you can get quality too.

CDD

HeavyMetal
02-24-2008, 09:08 PM
I have strong opinions on both methods of casting!
If your using a single cavity mold, especilly if it's 400 grains or more, using a dipper works.

As a matter of fact bullets made with a dipper generally have less of a "scrap" factor! Thats the up side the down side is it won't produce as many bullets as using a bottom pour pot!

If your reloading BPCR then your in. However if your reloading for IPSC or any of the other high round count types of shooting the only way to keep up is by using a bottom pour pot and gang molds!

I have two six banger Lee's for the H 7 G 68 copy and a pair of bottom pour pots with this I can get huge amounts of bullets cast in an afternoon. But thier is some issue with "scrap" generally because some don't fill out or what have you.

In this case you are sacrificing some quality for production. With careful inspection you will have the same quality bullets! you just have to live with the fact that you will be remelting more "bad" bullets than you would if you were using a dipper!

I will suggest you buy a pot based on what your current shooting needs are!