PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather lube

mattd
12-28-2014, 04:26 PM
Someone was talking in the hunting section about poor first shot accuracy while it was cold in the deer woods. The consensus was that it was the lube. Same thing happened to me.... made an easy shot at a deer and no sign of a hit, while I was down looking they came back and next two shots = two deer right where I was aiming.

I'm using carnuba red, and it always worked great in non-freezing temps. Someone said that lube specifically was gave him cold weather problems. I've got a bunch of the stuff, what about mixing some LLA in to soften it a bit? how much?

wlc
12-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Take a look at Speed Green. Do a search here on the forum. It was developed by Dan at the bullshop. When he came up with the recipe he lived in Delta Junction AK (one of the coldest places in the state). It does well in the cold. I haven't tried it, but Randyrat sells a lube that IIRC is called TAC. Supposed to be similar to speed green and should work well in the cold. A simple recipe is 1 part 2 stroke mixing oil to three parts beeswax by weight. SG and TAC are similar to this recipe.

btroj
12-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Search for MML, a lube designed for cold weather use. Gonna be hard to beat.

Carnuba Red is very good at cold barrel flyers at temps below 45 or so.

randyrat
12-28-2014, 09:06 PM
I sell TAC1 right here at a very competitive price .
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?131679-TAC-1-boolit-lube-mold-sprue-lube
It is made for colder weather and have used it down to about -20 deg F

It is a Low smoke, slightly softer lube, made for cold weather to help prevent cold weather flyers.
Notice both ends are trimmed to eliminate air bubbles in your lube sizer and sticks are a full 4"
_ Very Low smoke formula, great for indoor ranges
_ Has a pleasant odor
_ Heat may not be needed in your lube sizer machines.
_ High performance, used in Hot, warm or extreme cold weather for reduced first shot fliers.
_ Tested in high demand cast bullet loads
_ Enhanced with Carnauba wax to leave your bore nice and shiny.
_ Made out of the finest Beeswax in the world.