PDA

View Full Version : brass trimming question

hound13
12-28-2014, 12:10 PM
ive been reloading for about 2 years now just a question about trimming , im shooting my own guns so the ammo is for my guns only is it necessary to trim the brass all the time ????? or ckeck it after each use too see if it has stretched . I use a guage that I bought all I do is slide it in if its not tight I leave it alone ... what do you guys do??????? thanks..hound13

bangerjim
12-28-2014, 12:16 PM
I check & then trim if necessary

banger

bullet maker 57
12-28-2014, 12:21 PM
Same here, only when needed.

dragon813gt
12-28-2014, 12:23 PM
Only when needed. But any new to me rifle and revolver brass is trimmed initially.

Drdarrin
12-29-2014, 12:34 AM
All of my brass gets trimmed every time (bottle neck only). The reason is so its consistent from loading to loading.

KYCaster
12-29-2014, 01:05 AM
Check the length AFTER sizing.

Jerry

bbqncigars
12-29-2014, 01:31 AM
Like others, uniform the new brass. Then only trim when it needs it.

EDG
12-29-2014, 02:52 AM
I measure the length of my chambers to know the maximum length of my brass.
Then I only trim a few cases when they start getting too long or if they are uneven.

ballistim
12-30-2014, 09:35 AM
I've always trimmed and try to be as consistent as possible with each step in reloading to eliminate deviation & avoid potential problems. Lee makes inexpensive tools for both trimming & crimping that would be a good initial investment to any reloader who needs them as a starting point.

CastingFool
12-30-2014, 09:48 AM
New cases I size and trim, to even up the case mouth. Fired cases get sized and checked for length, trimmed if necessary, and I also check for incipient head case separation. A bright ring around the base of the case is a good indication, too, but it's best to check with a bent paperclip.

country gent
12-30-2014, 11:14 AM
New cases I size and trim lightly to make sure case mouths are sqyyare and consistent. On the BPCR cases I will also anneal them at the start. I then check length after every firing and sizing cycle. On High intensity round that are full length resized trimming comes more often than the lower pressure rounds for single shots. Reformed brass may get trimmed at the start to save extra work then again after sized and reformed. How often you trim depends on loads pressure chamber dimensions how much its sized.

Dan Cash
12-30-2014, 11:15 AM
I trim after each reloading for .30-30 only as it stretches in the 2 Marlin rifles for which I load competition ammo. It is faster to keep a trimmer set up for the case, decap, resize and tumble the cases then run them through the trim process. If the case has not stretched, it does not engage the trimmer more than a kiss. Other calibers get spot checked.

R.C.
12-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Bottle neck trim, very rarely a straight wall.