PDA

View Full Version : .32 Long Chamb Reamer

Hooker53
12-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Just wondering if anyone here has tried a letter M chucking reamer for a .32 Long chamber? I know you will have to throat it sep afterwards but it seems to be about the right size.

Correction: don't know how that M got in there. I was thinking 8.6mm. Ha

calaloo
12-30-2014, 09:24 AM
Hey Hooker. One of the reamer rental company's has a .32 long rim fire reamer. I don't remember which one. I have used it to ream the chamber for a Ballard number 2.

Jeff Michel
12-30-2014, 12:34 PM
You will be able to rent the proper reamer from 4D for about 30.00. Since a chucking reamer doesn't have a pilot it would be free to wander and not necessarily follow the center of the bore.

Reg
12-30-2014, 02:19 PM
I have done it , not necessarily for that caliber but used a chucking reamer to produce others.
I couldn't recommend it. There is the possibility of wandering yes, but also you are not producing a correct and true leed or throat and there really needs to be some taper to the produced body section not to mention it's a whole completely separate operation to cut for the rim. I would say it's a last desperate way to go when there is nothing else.
If you have the ability and understanding of what chambering is and how it is done you should also be capable to make a chambering reamer in a pinch.

Hooker53
12-30-2014, 10:27 PM
Reg, you are correct on all accounts. Heck if a person has never done much reaming any of them can and will wonder. The trick is, don't let it!! Ha. If you let a chucking reamer wonder, then it would be no good for the type of reaming a chucking reamer does. Ha. The trick IV used in other types of machining is to lathe bore a start the correct Dia, then start your reamer. Is it the proper way? NO. But I was mostly wondering about the Dia. Not if it can be done. I know if you do use a chucking reamer for this, you will have to bore cut the rim area. Thanks for all your input.

Clark
12-31-2014, 01:04 PM
I use a .469" straight reamer for [benchrest] 45acp.
I use a .380" straight reamer for 38 special to 357 mag conversion
I have a Clymer reamer, but I use a drill set for 9x19mm to 9x23mm conversion.

They were $17 for any size 14 years ago, but now $40
http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/Holemaking/Reamers/Chucking-Reamers-Sets/Chucking-Reamers?navid=12106128

Hooker53
12-31-2014, 07:52 PM
Clark. Good info. What do you do about the throating? A taper pin reamer of a size a little smaller than the chamber?

leftiye
01-01-2015, 07:50 AM
If you're talking about extending say a .32 S&W to .32 S&W long, or a .32H&R magnum to .327 Mag., then wandering isn't much of an issue. Angle into the throats can be fixed by resharpening the front leade of the reamer to a correct angle. Whole chambers can be done by hooker's method (do the whole length to chamber mouth diameter first with boring bar, ream to size, repeat to chamber size). Forget the first part if doing rifle chambers, just drill, true with boring bar, and ream. But then you will have leade/freebore problems which I would solve with a throating reamer.

Hooker53
01-01-2015, 11:21 AM
Hey lefties. That's the part I was missing. The throating part. If I could eyeball or see a drawing of the throat, than I would know how long and the Deg of it. I know from years back that the throat dimintions can be a science all in itself. That's one reason they make sep throating Reamers. I have them for 25 cal and 30 cal but no 32. Ha. My luck. IV seem some folks, throat a little then shoot a test group. Throat a little more and shoot again. They just don't say what they did if they went to far. Lol.

As an addition to the reamer Ver wondering part, if you have not used chucking reamers much, they do make them with a detatchable pilot turn one the size you need and there ya go never seen one on an lesser used reamer like an M size but sure they are out there i have a set of reamers thats what you would call, common size like 3/8", 1/2" that have interchangable pilots Happy New Year everyone.

Roy
Hooker53

Clark
01-07-2015, 09:49 PM
With handguns and my lousy marksmanship with handguns, I use a drill angle for the throat, like in 9x23, or 9x19 throated for 158 gr.

But I came up with a wildcat rifle cartridge for BB gun quiet body shots on coons, a 50CB, and I had to make an 11 degree throat angle. I used a tapered reamer $11.

leadman
01-08-2015, 04:11 AM
SAAMI's website might have the dimensions listed.

Hooker53
01-15-2015, 07:25 PM
Clark thanks for the photos and the info. Leadman you are correct. That site did have good info and answered some questions I had. Even though it won't be right on the money I think a #5 taper pin reamer would do a fair job for the throat. Than I got to thinking, if I can use a 8.6mm chucking reamer no more than they cost I might as well go on and buy a $66 throating reamer and get it right. Ha. The biggest problem I have is deciding to go with a 32-20 liner or a 30 Luger. The 30 Luger would be best for larger Boolits but don't know which way to swing on this one.

Ballistics in Scotland
01-17-2015, 07:13 AM
I think it would be a mistake to attempt a chamber with an unpiloted reamer. If you must, it would be a good idea to tap a 5/16in. brass rod into the bore, and true up the barrel on that, with an indicator gauge and an independent-jaw chuck, or a concentric chuck and thin metal shims. The tailstock needs to be accurately aligned with the headstock, too.

With those .32 rounds you can stand having the chamber a few thousandths over the size of an 8.6mm. or T reamer. That is what a very slight (and parallel) misalignment of the tailstock would do. The bore off centre in the lathe chuck will produce an off-center chamber, which is much worse, and angular misalignment may make a chamber wider at the front than the back. Just think of the fun you could have with that.

I would rather drill an HSS reamer with a carbide drill, and insert a home-made pilot. Keep withdrawing the drill and letting the reamer cool, because if the part of have drilled past contracts on the drill, it will break. I have done this to convert a commercial reamer to 10ga.

I think a taper pin reamer might have too gradual a taper for the best chamber throat. You might be able to grind away the unwanted portion of an 0 Morse taper reamer. But the cost of all the things you might need could stack up pretty close to a Clymer or Manson reamer.